Has Tuna Gone Insane? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Has Tuna Gone Insane?

During BP's time off from coaching before he came to Miami, he must have watched a lot of college football. Also, I wouldnt credit BP with the wildcat. I'm pretty sure it came from our OC and HC.

Came from the QB coach from Arkansas.

Maybe the topic creator is too young to remember but the NY Giants under Parcells ran gimmick plays ALL the time. Morris HB options/McConkey end arounds. You just don't see those plays during "America's Game" on NFL Network.

Maybe the topic creator is too young to remember but the NY Giants under Parcells ran gimmick plays ALL the time. Morris HB options/McConkey end arounds. You just don't see those plays during "America's Game" on NFL Network.

Judge,

I wish I was too young to remember. LOL. Those plays happened every now and then but, were not a part of the O. At least, no where like this.

We all knew what we were getting when Tuna signed his contract. We were gonna have a bunch of BIG guys playing conservative Smash Mouth football. Sporano, an OL coach, comes in and is a perfect fit for what we're gonna do. Add in Penny, completes a lot of passes, few mistakes, and we're on our way. Right?

Not close. We put in the Wild Cat, somewhat of a very unexpected "gimmick," and it works. However, who wouldda thunk it of Tuna?

Then, the Ravens show that a good D, with an all out blitz, shuts it down. Oh well, it was fun for a while. Now, back to Smash Mouth. Right?

NO WAY. Tuna take a QB, with a very high pick, not only to make the WC work but, to add a spread O to the mix. Then I see in the OTA's that Ronnie is throwing passes, Ricky is throwing passes, Ginn is throwing passes, and even Turner, a rookie, is throwing passes. Who wouldda thunk it of Tuna?

Insanity or Genius? There's a fine line but, I'm thinking the later and loving it. IT'S GONNA BE A FUN YEAR!!!

Your thoughts?

With a new center which can hold off the bliz, we should see an improvement over last year.

No. He doesn't want to lose, first and foremost. We had to do something. The Wildcat helped disguise our weaknesses. Even with the Wildcat, we were doing misdirections, counters, and everything under the sun to get the running game going. It's just what we had to do. I'm a little disappointed that we are still going to be using the Wildcat, apparently a great deal, as I was hoping for a team that hits people in the face and wins...But, hey..If we win, we win.

People forget that the Wildcat was birthed in desperation. Maybe they forget the fact that Penny was being classic Penny and the running game was getting stuffed as a result. The field was being crunched down vertically. So they, in desperation, began to massage the horizontal field.

And NOT only w. the Wildcat, but with the incredible time on offensive splits, featuring horizontal maximizing -- to the point where Sims watched a Dolphins practice and came away amazed. He'd never seen anything like it.

If that's not working your butt off to disguise/compensate for a weakness, I don't know what it is.

It is out of this same horizontal desperation that Bess became a go-to guy. Bess' success is linked with the Phins dramatic vertical and straight running game weakness. As is the success of the Wildcat.

It is success born in weakness, in desperation. Jedi, where art thou?

:-)

LD

With a new center which can hold off the bliz, we should see an improvement over last year.

Having a QB, in place of Ronnie, will make the difference. Henning has to be like a little kid in a candy store with money to spend. :)

Judge,

I wish I was too young to remember. LOL. Those plays happened every now and then but, were not a part of the O. At least, no where like this.

HAHAHA!! Sorry to hear that. These days we wish we were too young. ere's the thing with Parcells: He is the ULTIMATE at mis-direction. you have to admit to that. Just when you think he'll zig...he zags. There in lies his genious and skil level. He ran more gimmick plays with the Pats as well. This, however is less gimmick than it is throwback. The wing T or Wildcat are not gadgets, they are real offensive set-ups that were left behind as the game evolved. Think of the wildcat like a pair of bellbottoms. They've been in the closet....waiting....waiting to come back into fad!!

People forget that the Wildcat was birthed in desperation. Maybe they forget the fact that Penny was being classic Penny and the running game was getting stuffed as a result. The field was being crunched down vertically. So they, in desperation, began to massage the horizontal field.

And NOT only w. the Wildcat, but with the incredible time on offensive splits, featuring horizontal maximizing -- to the point where Sims watched a Dolphins practice and came away amazed. He'd never seen anything like it.

If that's not working your butt off to disguise/compensate for a weakness, I don't know what it is.

It is out of this same horizontal desperation that Bess became a go-to guy. Bess' success is linked with the Phins dramatic vertical and straight running game weakness. As is the success of the Wildcat.

It is success born in weakness, in desperation. Jedi, where art thou?

:-)

LD

While 'necessity is the Mother of invention' I would not be so quick to pin it all on Pennington. He was not the ONLY reason the Run game was getting stuffed. An OL anchored by a rook that began taking major injuries day 1... A young inexperienced and undersized receiving corps... A featured RB coming off major knee surgery... All of these factors contributed to a slow start... offensively... Then...

We were one Favre lame duck from taking that Jets game... Week 1. And 'Zona completely MANHANDLED us through the air... Lay that one at the feet of the defense. There were ALOT of reasons to change things up before travelling to New England.

HAHAHA!! Sorry to hear that. These days we wish we were too young. ere's the thing with Parcells: He is the ULTIMATE at mis-direction. you have to admit to that. Just when you think he'll zig...he zags. There in lies his genious and skil level. He ran more gimmick plays with the Pats as well. This, however is less gimmick than it is throwback. The wing T or Wildcat are not gadgets, they are real offensive set-ups that were left behind as the game evolved. Think of the wildcat like a pair of bellbottoms. They've been in the closet....waiting....waiting to come back into fad!!

I am old enough to recall Zig-Zags, although I don't associate Tuna with it, tuff to recall. LOL Bringing the wing T/Wildcat is a gimmick in today's NFL, same as would be an option. I am familiar with it's history.

Got any platform shoes or Neru jackets? LMAO!

While 'necessity is the Mother of invention' I would not be so quick to pin it all on Pennington. He was not the ONLY reason the Run game was getting stuffed. An OL anchored by a rook that began taking major injuries day 1... A young inexperienced and undersized receiving corps... A featured RB coming off major knee surgery... All of these factors contributed to a slow start... offensively... Then...

We were one Favre lame duck from taking that Jets game... Week 1. And 'Zona completely MANHANDLED us through the air... Lay that one at the feet of the defense. There were ALOT of reasons to change things up before travelling to New England.

Well, change it was -- and NE didn't know what hit them. That was the funniest part of last season, the confusion on the faces of the NE defenders! Oh my goodness. Pure, unadulterated humor. Classic. And that game essentially cost them the playoffs, in retrospect.

Without question the Wildcat [and attendant focus on maximizing the horizontal field even for regular offense, playing to Penny's strengths] is responsible for turning around the season and propelling the Phins into the playoffs.

LD

Back
Top Bottom