Hayden Fox Assessment: W14 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox Assessment: W14

I was more upset that they don't call any holds on Wake or Quinn but call that bs at that time of the game. It happens regularly, sometimes they call it sometimes they don't. Refs throwing their flags out like that can determine a game.

Agree, BUT . . . fans of most teams complain about 'uncalled holding' against their D every game. If I had a couple of months, I'd do a video study of it.

Thanks Hayden.....and exciting game and good summary, thanks for putting this out.

Fitz had a pretty good arm bar on that PI call......sometimes it is called and sometimes not. We are playing the Patriots so of course they get that call. It actually worked out well for us in the end.....

One thing you mentioned is Kenny Stills and his taking a dive just short of the first down sticks. I thought that was really odd and seemed out of character for him, especially not seeming to know the yardage he needed to gain. I'm pretty sure he was the most relieved person on the field when Drake executed the final part of the miracle to win the game.

Overall great effort. And how about Ted Larsen actually throwing a block 20 yards downfield to help spring Drake! Who knew.....

Nice writeup Hayden, we were at the game and the last play came right at us... what an amazing feeling! The crowd was into it big the whole game and exploded on that last play... it was awesome... I watched it again when I got home and have been watching highlights all day! FINS UP!!!

Can someone with more coaching knowledge explain to me why the Patriots had three or four players in middle of the field refusing to pursue the ball until Drake already had a one on one situaation with Gronk? I'm guessing some coaches are now preaching that on those types of plays you don't want everybody pursing the ball because than it would be easier for the return team to lateral the ball and get outside leverage. It just seemed odd that when Drake made his break to the middle of the field you actually see two Patriots running away from him.

Thx Hayden. The big question remains. How and why do Miami really fire up for the Patriots game in Miami but not for so many other games? 5 wins in the past 6 years. This is not just luck. It's not the humidity that scares Belichick. It's not the throwback jerseys (although Dolphins players always play tougher when we wear them - eg 2 years in a row vs the Patriots).
Even when Joe Philbin was coach. Even with Jay Cutler filling in as QB. Why is it so? Why do we always play really well for this game?

While i hated the PI call on Fitz (having stronger hands is not a flag)
It really saved the game.. we would give first after first if the field was longer, putting them im a goal to situation ended up saving the game

^^^ That holding call actually saved the game, smart play by Minkah.

I had no problem with the PI call on Minkah. I do think there were several officiating decisions that could have given the game to the Pats.
1. Patriots' offensive holding non-calls. There were several instances where I saw blatant holding on Wake and Quinn especially that weren't called.
2. Patriots' defensive holding non-calls. Not in coverage, but on the line of scrimmage. There was one sack in particular where the Patriots' lineman held our center while he was trying to peel off his double team block. He couldn't reach the free blitzer and Tannehill had to eat the sack. The Patriots have been getting away with that move forever.
3. Bobby McCain I believe was furiously trying to get a timeout called before the snap and the refs ignored him. We got penalized for 12 men on the field.
4. The phantom offensive pass interference in the 4th quarter called on us on a ball Stephen Gilmore could not have possibly reached.

Thanks for the write-up.

A little more on Tannehill. He is now sixth in the NFL in quarterback rating. Miami is 5-3 when he starts. If Miami can honestly fix the offensive line in the offseason, the team can win with Tannehill. His one negative trait is avoiding pressure, feeling pressure....whatever you want to call it. He needs a better offensive line.

More stats. Miami is 4-1 in the division, which is one of Gase's best qualities as a coach. The Dolphins have fared well in the AFC East during his tenure.

Not going to mistake the Dolphins for a good team, but with all the injuries and tough losses (Indianapolis/Cincinnati), it's nice to have a chance at the postseason with three games left. That finish was absolutely incredible and maybe the biggest regular season play in the team's history. Hard to find a better one.

Hopefully, this win will silence the get rid of Gase critics. Loved the way Tannehill has responded as well, but I'd still look to the draft (mid-rounds) for a developmental guy that at least would be an upgrade over Osweiller.

I wasn't happy about the defense again. It is killing this team. The offense seems to be coming around in spite of the horrible interior line play. But moving forward a hopeful fix is on the horizon for both the Offensive and Defensive lines.The Patriots came to pass the ball and they did it at will yesterday. Without Howard they looked pedestrian back there.

• #56 and #94 played well today. #52 was in on a couple of BIG hits for little to no gain, #55 was all over. Yea there were warts. The managed to scheme Eddleman up on Kiko a couple of times, and that's not good, They also got their WR on #35 for a TD... but the other team gets paid too.

So our offense scored 34 points (well including field goals and extra points) while only converting one third down. Yes, the last play was gimmicky, and yes there was an element of luck involved … but it was an offensive TD.

Interesting note, the Patriot #27 (J.C. Jackson???) could have tackled Drake … but he hesitated and momentarily gave up on the play. He closed on Stills, who lateraled it to Parker, then he closed on Parker, who lateraled it to Drake, he got squeezed there momentarily as Drake streaked away … and 27 gave up on the play and jogged watching from behind for a second, then he re-engaged and chased the play, foolishly chasing directly at Drake streaking toward the middle of the field--I say foolishly because he was never catching Drake if Drake continues in that direction, and there were plenty of Patriots covering the middle, including Gronkowski. If 27 had kept running the entire time, or if when he re-engaged he ran down the open lane along the sideline (which Drake eventually took to the end zone), 27 would have made the tackle and no Miracle would have happened. But, lack of follow through on the last play of the game (was he saving himself for the club that night?) allowed us to win. His lack of understanding of lanes, gaps, and angles made him take a poor route in pursuit, which means either poor coaching or poor mental discipline. Re-watch the Miracle in Miami … #27 could have made the play … but he didn't do the right thing when he gave up on the play, didn't do the right thing when he took a poor pursuit route, and allowed Drake to create the lane by pulling Patriots into the middle, then speedily breaking back outside into that lane to win the game.

I wasn't happy about the defense again. It is killing this team. The offense seems to be coming around in spite of the horrible interior line play. But moving forward a hopeful fix is on the horizon for both the Offensive and Defensive lines.The Patriots came to pass the ball and they did it at will yesterday. Without Howard they looked pedestrian back there.

I was not happy with the defense in the first half, but they turned in a respectable 2nd half. Holding the Pats to 6 points in the second half is respectable.

Back
Top Bottom