Hayden Fox Assessment: Week 16 vs Indianapolis Colts | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox Assessment: Week 16 vs Indianapolis Colts

If we cut Brent Grimes any cb we sign of his caliber will command much more money in the current NFL market and this applies to Wake as well.

Or, looking at it the other way, we can pay top dollar for a corner that is both younger and can play more man to man instead of zone all the time.

I like Grimes as a player, but he definitely has limitations and father time is catching up with him.

First time I didn't care to watch a game in forever . . . looks like I missed the same old **** from this entire season.

Hayden, what did you think of Parker's route running on those end zone shots? Forgetting fighting for the ball a bit, aren't WRs supposed to almost run into the defender and then break away/come back to the ball? I was wondering if that was just poor coaching or what. He seemed to run to a spot rather than do that.

Hayden, what did you think of Parker's route running on those end zone shots? Forgetting fighting for the ball a bit, aren't WRs supposed to almost run into the defender and then break away/come back to the ball? I was wondering if that was just poor coaching or what. He seemed to run to a spot rather than do that.

I thought he should have competed for the ball well, but I will grade him on a curve for all the time he has missed and was unrefined coming into the league to begin with. I hated the 3rd down call on a fade toward the Colts' best corner. I wanted to see a run/pass option and at least come away with some points in that spot.

Miami left so many plays on the table in both phases and probably should have won easily. It is amazing how undisciplined and poorly coached the Fins are.

I am a firm believer in the Offensive line "conditions" your QB. With Tannehill being the most sacked QB 3 years straight....how do you think he's been conditioned? I keep hearing fans bash Tannehill....well I still disagree. He may still not be the answer but until you surround him with a decent OL...the jury is out on the kid! Go ahead...give up on him...can you say Steve Young, Doug Williams, Tent Dilfer? Being from Tampa I seen the Bucs give up on all 3 of these guys. The OL was terrible so they....dumped the QB. All three went on to win Super Bowls.

Positives

• 6-15 on 3rd downs was the offense.
  • Ryan Tannehill’s toughness.
  • Jarvis Landry had 111 yards on 7 catches. Landry had a spectacular one-handed catch late in the 4th.
  • DeVante Parker had a very good day. He had 93 yards on 4 grabs. He had a pretty connection with Tannehill for 49 yards.
  • Props to Branden Albert for suiting up. He banged up his reconstructed knee last week and could have easily sat out today. However, he sucked it up and played a nice game.
  • The defense got a 3 and out after the Tannehill interception.
  • Reshad Jones 6 TOT, 4 Solo, 1 TFL and 1 PD
  • Olivier Vernon had two TFL’s.
  • It was 4th and goal and Miami was down multiple scores. It was the right move to kick the FG and make a one score game.

Negatives

• 12 points.
  • - 1 turnover differential.
  • Tannehill’s Red Zone pick.
  • Red Zone offense. Miami was a terrible 1-5.
  • Pass protection was awful. 6 sacks yielded to a pedestrian pass rush.
  • Terrible effort running the ball. 82 yards on 25 carries only 3.3 per rush.. Simply no production.
  • Parker not fighting for the ball on the Tannehill pick.
  • False start when all the linemen moved, but Jamil Douglas.
  • Douglas’ mind spasm on the final offensive play. He did know the snap count and it led to an easy sack.
  • Safety. Jason Fox did not adjust to a routine stunt. Tannehill had no chance.
  • Jason Fox was whipped all game.
  • The Fins defense could not take advantage of 3rd stringer Charlie Whitehurst.
  • 3rd down defense. The Colts converted 6-12 for 50%.
  • The defense gave up 4.3 yards per rush.
  • The defense gave up a TD after Miami’s offense scored a touchdown.
  • Jones missed an opportunity for a pick on the Colt’s opening drive.
  • Missed tackles. Especially on two Frank Gore runs that went for TD’s.
  • Ndamukong Suh not making any impact versus a weak interior line.
  • D-linemen being drawn offsides by hardcounts.
  • 12 men on the field penalty on the opening drive. Shows disorganization.
  • 50 yards on 9 penalties.
  • Going for two after the Fins lone TD. Much too early in the game to be chasing points.
  • Bizarre use of timeouts by Dan Campbell at the end of the half.
  • Terrible roster management to not have an actual center by trade on the roster. Douglas should know the snap count, but he has been put in a brutal position this year.
  • Gene Steratore and his crew was awful today. First, it was a terrible call on an interception by Brent Grimes. There was no holding for a flag to be thrown. Then there was a garbage OPI on Landry. He was nowhere near the threshold of contact to call a PI. Two huge plays that would have changed the outcome of the game. They also missed an obvious leg whip call on a Colts pass rusher that hurt Tannehill. Should have been a 15 yard penalty.
  • Sad to see so many open seats and apathy toward the team in South Florida.

Overall Assessment

• The Dolphins atrocious, nightmarish season will end next week with an absolute thrashing by the Patriots. The Pats need the game and will be soiled after the loss to the Jets. Also, watch for injuries next week as the Fins will be playing the most physical team they have played in weeks...which is saying something because they have been whipped by all their opponents. I thought the team bottomed out when they were killed by the Chargers last week then they lost to Charlie Whitehurst. Next week, the season ends by Miami losing by a lot of points.
  • Watch for next week’s game to get flexed out to 4:25pm. If Denver wins Monday, the Broncos will be matched in Week 17 scheduling-wise with the Patriots as home field hangs in the balance.
  • I am tired of former Hurricane players or ex-Dolphin players coming back and getting over on the current team. It is so tiresome that someone has a career day or comes up big versus Miami.
  • I appreciate people saluting the 1972 Dolphins. However, we need new and additional memories, badly. It is so sad that many of us were not even born let alone remember that team yet brag about their exploits. I am glad the history stands the test of time, but the Miami Dolphins need to start becoming known for something in this century.
  • The Dolphins never do anything special. They never get the crazy win. They never come from behind. They never create the huge turnover to change the game. They never win on the last play. Simply nothing crazy in a positive fashion happens for this team.
  • I am sick and tired of the offensive line being an issue in Miami. It is time that more resources are put into upgrading the guard position and finding a quality backup OT. From there, more young talent needs to be developed behind the starters. It is reprehensible that Tannehill is urinating blood this week in large part because of the shabby effort in making an offensive line.
  • It is time to forget the idea of getting Sean Payton to Miami for next season. This has all the makings of the dance done years ago with Jeff Fisher. There are other jobs more attractive than Miami, folks. From Indianapolis to San Diego to Tennessee to possibly the Giants are gigs that are better jobs than what Miami has to offer. It is vital that Miami does not get used this time nor get turned down. There are going to be a slew of openings and Miami must make a short list of quality candidates that would likely take the job. It is imperative that the first person they offer the job to says “yes”. In fact, I have been a big Hue Jackson backer, but I am not convinced he will be lured to one of the jobs mentioned above. It is going to be an ultra-competitive market starting next week.
  • One more long week and tail kicking before we head to an offseason of change. I am down right now, but I am excited for the next month. I truly think that with actual “big league” coaching this team would be a few wins better. From there, it will be about the moves in the offseason. By getting more physical from the inside out and fruitful draft starting with a top ten pick, Miami will show dramatic improvement next year.
  • Happy New Year’s and enjoy bowl week!

Agreed on most but two things....on the int Tannehill got hit on the arm and that's why the pass was under....as far as kicking a field goal, that was the wrong call and I'll tell you why. Yes we needed 2 scores. However, when you're that close to the end zone you need to go for it as if we get the ball back we might not get that close. If you get the TD then all you need is a ling FG. Shula had a game like that years ago and went for the TD on 4th down and we didn't get it. His explanation was the same as I just told you. But never mind any of that....we're 5 and 9 going in so why not go for it?

Ozzy rules

Agreed on most but two things....on the int Tannehill got hit on the arm and that's why the pass was under....as far as kicking a field goal, that was the wrong call and I'll tell you why. Yes we needed 2 scores. However, when you're that close to the end zone you need to go for it as if we get the ball back we might not get that close. If you get the TD then all you need is a ling FG. Shula had a game like that years ago and went for the TD on 4th down and we didn't get it. His explanation was the same as I just told you. But never mind any of that....we're 5 and 9 going in so why not go for it?

Ozzy rules

Because if you don't score you are still down two scores. It was the right call. Going 0-4 at the 5 with less then a minute left is the issue.

First time I didn't care to watch a game in forever . . . looks like I missed the same old **** from this entire season.

I haven't watched the last three, don't feel like I missed anything.

Hayden, nice wrok. I was on the road most of the game yesterday coming back from Christmas with in-laws.
I was following game off and on on my phone..
I was hoping you would mention going for the 2 pt conversion that early. Goo job, it is way too early to leave points out there, I hate when teams do that.

Or, looking at it the other way, we can pay top dollar for a corner that is both younger and can play more man to man instead of zone all the time.

I like Grimes as a player, but he definitely has limitations and father time is catching up with him.

I am leaning that way and drafting one with the first pick in May.

Why does everyone chase the points early? I don't like that call and it is something almost everyone does now.

Why does everyone chase the points early? I don't like that call and it is something almost everyone does now.

I would agree.....however, I found it odd.....that we were aggressive in trying for the two point conversion and conservative when not going for the TD and taking the field goal later in the game. I don't argue with the field goal choice, but why go conservative there if you were ok being aggressive earlier?

Probably more of a nit pick, but I guess the bigger issue is going for two when it wasn't necessary as you stated.

Pretty sad when we are looking to next season for "a few wins better" as an improvement. Might as well be an expansion team over the next five years.

Pats easily go to the Super Bowl again. Easy. Who beats them in the AFC?

The Jets have looked to be a very good matchup for the Patriots, I think you're way off on the pedestal you have them on in regards to the rest of the AFC

The Jets have looked to be a very good matchup for the Patriots, I think you're way off on the pedestal you have them on in regards to the rest of the AFC

Opposing QB's come playoffs....McCarron, Osweiller, Smith, Fitzpatrick, Weeden....want to tell who wins?

Back
Top Bottom