Hayden Fox's Draft Assessment | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Draft Assessment

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives
· Dennis Hickey was correct to take Ju’wuan James at 19. Yes, it may have been possible to trade down some. However, a RT starved team may have been able to jump Miami and snag James if Hickey had bailed. To me there was a significant drop off from James to Morgan Moses, Joel Bitonio and Cyrus Kouandijo. Hickey must also be given credit for also taking James before the run occurred on the next group of linemen.
· I am pleased that the team drafted a “natural” RT. There are no conversions going on during training camp with James. He can step right in and adjust to the speed of the game.
· I like the current OT situation with Albert and James.
· Some people on this site think that RT is not that important of position. However, when we discuss the idea of blocking a Mario Williams perhaps the position is a tad more important than people are making it. With better RT play last year, Miami would have been in the playoffs. The position is essential.
· Calling it now Jarvis Landry > Odell Beckham Jr.
· I liked that Miami drafted a CB in Walt Aikens to compete with Will Davis. Davis was over-drafted last year and is over his head in the NFL.
· I love that Hickey traded back for a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] rounder in this year’s draft as opposed into the 2015 draft. Some in the media suggested the team should shoot for a pick in the ’15 draft. The Fins need help for this year’s team and I am not convinced that the 2015 draft is as well stocked as this years.
· I am intrigued by the undrafted free agent class.
· Greg Likens worked it big time this past week. He was on the air for 20 plus hours. While I enjoyed Jesse Agler, Likens has picked up the slack and will do a nice job for the fans. The Finsiders work their tails off during the draft.

Negatives
· I am concerned about the LB group. With very few offseason moves, the team has essentially doubled down on Misi, Ellerbe and Wheeler. Perhaps another year in the system will allow them to take additional steps. I am still interested to see if Jelani Jenkins can make a jump in year two and Jordan Tripp seems determined to make a name for himself. With all that said, the LB play last year was well below average and must improve.
The DB’s on the roster are still a question mark for me. I love that Brent Grimes was re-signed. Courtland Finnegan interests me, but the team banking on him returning to his prior level of play from three years ago is very risky. They supposedly love Jamar Taylor, but he has not done much on the field for us to verify what he can do. Will Davis is going to have trouble competing. Walt Aikens is an interesting prospect, but he is a rookie after all. Jimmy Wilson did a nice job as the nickel last year and should be counted on again. At safety, it seems they have decided to roll with two SS-like players. Louis Delmas is also very injury proned. Who are the back ups at Safety? The 2013 DB’s played well for the most part. Is this new group an improvement?
· I am surprised that no RB was drafted that might have been able to push “power back” Daniel Thomas. I would have guessed that a physical presence would have been added by now.
· I would have liked to see a big bodied DT added to the mix. Whether it was UFA or the draft, I wonder if the D-line is too light up front. I think there is a ton of talent that can disrupt with early penetration. I just wonder if Miami can get in a “street fight” with a smash mouth team and win.

Overall Observations
· Hickey and Philbin had to address the Offensive Line. Between yielding 50 plus sacks and the Martin Fiasco, the line needed an upgrade in talent and simply new faces. With Branden Albert, Shelley Smith, Ju’wuan James and Billy Turner, the line has been upgraded and fits the objectives of the offense. The line is now more athletic fitting a ZBS. However, make no mistake, this line was put together to pass block. I expect the team to sling the ball around a ton this year. With the addition of Knowshon Moreno, a tremendous pass blocker, I expect the Dolphins to “pitch and catch” even more than we have seen…and that is a lot.
· If anyone has an issue with the O-line being addressed early in the draft, they must acknowledge that Hickey was simply correcting “mistakes” of Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland. Efforts to improve the line had to happen this offseason.
· People that killed Hickey for going RT at 19 and wanted another player such as Brandin Cooks or Marquise Lee, have to acknowledge that drafting one of those players was not going the difference between 7-9 and 11-5. It is fine to demand the skill player, but just exactly how many wins do you feel a rookie draft pick is worth?
· With that said, this draft was about the development of Ryan Tannehill. Getting him an elite LT in FA, a first round RT and upgrading the Guard positions, the team has given Tannehill a line to give him more time to throw. Moreno will be a major help in blitz pickups that consistently broke down around the young QB last year. Finally, the addition of Jarvis Landry will push the other receivers on the roster. Landry very well could find himself being called upon to make plays for the Dolphins. Tannehill must take another step in becoming a franchise QB and the FO did what they could this offseason to have that improvement become a reality.
· Joe Philbin and his staff must develop players. Kacy Rodgers and Dan Campbell (two holdovers from the previous staff) have done great work improving their units. However, more is needed from this coaching staff helping get players to the next level or two.
It was interesting to listen to the Finsiders interviews of each of the draftees. It was noticeable how intelligent and articulate each pick is. Philbin and · Hickey not only put a value on their college leadership experience, but the intellectual ability of each player. Walt Aikens took some heat on our site and Twitter about his run in with the law at Illinois. However, if anyone listens to his interview with the team run radio program, he seems to understand his mishap and described how he has changed over the years. I was very impressed by Aikens maturity.
· I wonder if Dion Sims is in trouble. Between the drafting of Arthur Lynch and signing of UDFA Harold Hoskin, Sims is going to have to make a jump in order to make the team. I like Sims and think he as some potential. However, with a new GM, Sims might be on the outs.
· How terrible is Adam Beasley? Each offseason he makes outlandish claims. Once again, he was at it this year. “The Dolphins are looking to move up in the draft”. “Zach Martin will be looked at guard first.” Both pre-draft claims prove to be wrong. Beasley is incompetent writer.
· People must remember…and get excited about… that there are in a sense two draft classes coming. With the 2014 class and 2013 kids returning from injury and developing, Miami has an influx of prospects available to them. Dion Jordan and Jamar Taylor are especially going to be looked upon to contribute in big ways. It will be a fun part of training camp to observe.

Good right up Hayden. A couple of questions if I may.

1. OL - do you see Turner at LG and Smith at RG so as not to have two rookies on one side, or would you go with the Chicago model from last year and let the rookies develop together.

2. You highlight Sims as a possible change - any thoughts on Egnew?

3. Any thoughts on switching Wheeler to SAM and Ellerbe to WILL?

And yes - agree on Greg Likens.

Great write up, thank you. I definitely see egnew getting cut and sins getting another year. I hope we find a way to get jordan, wake, and vernon all on the field at once. Maybe that's how they plan on retooling the lb core.

2. You highlight Sims as a possible change - any thoughts on Egnew?

3. Any thoughts on switching Wheeler to SAM and Ellerbe to WILL?

And yes - agree on Greg Likens.

Great write up, thank you. I definitely see egnew getting cut

I guess I'm one of the few people that were encouraged from what they saw in Egnew last year. I watxh just about all the games and went to a few live. While there I paid close attention to Egnew trying to figure out whats up?

Bottomline the guy has gotten A LOT better at blocking and whenever the ball was thrown his way he caught it. IF anything I would argue there were a lot of times when the ball didn't go his way when it should have.

It was acknowledge that he would need time coming out and he has improved every year. Yet, we want to cut him out right? I really don't get it.

Better late than never draft. I agree it was all about giving Tannehill every opportunity and its the type of offseason we should have put together at least a season ago.

We've made some significant upgrades at o-line and defensive back and we have effectively 2 full compliments of draft classes at our disposal that can help as well.

The run defense will be a problem but the hope is our pass offense will balance that out. I think teams like the Bills and Jets will come in with the same game plan to make us one dimensional by daring us to beat them through the air, and they'll be for a rude awakening.

If Tannehill keeps improving and is able to gut out a tough win or two vs other great QBs we should win between 8-12 games. I don't see us losing more than 8 and if I could I would instantly take the over on 7.

Special teams should be better too both in the return game and the field goal game. I don't see Thigpin as our punt returner this year and I actually think a lot of the lower round picks and undrafteds were brought in specifically to improve special teams.

Said it before and will say again...this draft was about fixing last seasons problems more than anything else. We had to fix the oline mess and not doing so would have been a huge failure. In those terms this is a great draft for us, now the players need to prove it!

Hayden,

Great write up as usual. I have liked what Hickey has done in free agency and the draft. I really don't mind that the draft wasn't glamorous. We had to fix the O-line and on paper we have workable pieces. Couple of additional thoughts:

1. I would think that Egnew is on the hot seat rather than Sims?
2. I don't understand bringing in all those receivers outside of Landry? I would have rather brought in a large number of running backs for 2 reasons. One, find that big back who can get those difficult 1-2 yards consistently. Second, a fast running back who could possibly return punts and kick-offs.
3. I think the line backers will be better this year and I'm hoping to see Tripp turn into our new Zach Thomas (very hopeful thinking).
4. This year we have basically 2 years of drafts that should have an impact. Hopefully, there will not be too many costly learning on job mistakes.
5. Who is our back up Left Tackle?

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Hayden,

Great write up as usual. I have liked what Hickey has done in free agency and the draft. I really don't mind that the draft wasn't glamorous. We had to fix the O-line and on paper we have workable pieces. Couple of additional thoughts:

1. I would think that Egnew is on the hot seat rather than Sims?
2. I don't understand bringing in all those receivers outside of Landry? I would have rather brought in a large number of running backs for 2 reasons. One, find that big back who can get those difficult 1-2 yards consistently. Second, a fast running back who could possibly return punts and kick-offs.
3. I think the line backers will be better this year and I'm hoping to see Tripp turn into our new Zach Thomas (very hopeful thinking).
4. This year we have basically 2 years of drafts that should have an impact. Hopefully, there will not be too many costly learning on job mistakes.
5. Who is our back up Left Tackle?

I think Egnew gets the axe. Keep Clay, Sims, Lynch and Gator as the tight ends.

Pretty much agree with everything said. Especially about the oline and specifically the RT position. It has become accepted in tue past that drafting a RT or guard is a reach in the 1st round...

Those days are over, teams are drafting these guys in the 1st rnd on a normal basis now. Last year alone, was it 3 guards and 2 RTs in the 1st rnd?

Point blank, if you have big man needs and don't get them early, you may not get them at all, or you'll be stuck with the Jonathan Martins of the draft.

I also actually think we found our power rb with Damien Williams, if this guy comes in motivated and feels like he got disrespected by going unstaffed he should easily take Daniel Thomas's spot. If for no other reason, just for the simple fact we know Thomas isn't going to get better, and we know if anything Williams lies to delver hits.

Well done Hayden. I have only one big question for you or anyone. WHY did Hickey not pay for or, overpay for one more proven guy on the OL in FA? Some say that they did not want to come here, which is silly. After Albert, there were at least six much better options than what we now have. IF Hickey would have signed just one, we would not be having the discussion on being overly concerned od the OL, which is justified,

Well done Hayden. I have only one big question for you or anyone. WHY did Hickey not pay for or, overpay for one more proven guy on the OL in FA? Some say that they did not want to come here, which is silly. After Albert, there were at least six much better options than what we now have. IF Hickey would have signed just one, we would not be having the discussion on being overly concerned od the OL, which is justified,

Who are you talking About that we should of signed?

And in any case, we had to get younger on the oline, no matter what.

I'd like to bring Satele back to compete/depth or stick him at center and move Pouncey to guard.

Agree we needed a RT but I think we should have traded down. I think Boitano is just as good at playing RT or OG. Boitano is a good pass blocker and James maybe graded a little higher in pass blocking but Boitono is hands down a bette run blocker.

With the extra third pick we could have made a run at Borland in the 3rd round in addition to Turner.

Landry was a great pick and will eventually take Gibsons place this year or next year.

I like Aikens but liked Desir better.

After that its pretty much special teams and practice squad. Agree Egnew is trying to be replaced. TEs = Clay, Gator, Sims, Lynch. Interesting Gator is a Clay clone so sometimes we may have 2 clays out there in the red zone with Landry and Gibson. When short yardage sims and lynch will be blocking but can also catch on a fake.

I am not that impressed watching TRIPP highlights. He looks like special teams and nickle LB. I dont see him as a starting MLB. He is no Zach thomas thats for sure.

Back
Top Bottom