Hayden Fox's Draft Assessments | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Draft Assessments

If you look at this team unit by unit, Miami is average to slightly above average in most areas. The one exception, at this point, is defensive tackle.

Absolutely love the first two picks. Don't think the Dolphins could have done better there.

• When I watch the draft, I pick who I would pick if I was in the GM chair. Here were my picks: LB Edmuncs, 2. S Reid 3. DT Settle 4a. OT Crosby 4b. QB Falk 6. RB Wadley 7a CB Tolliver and 7b. Piniero (I also predicted Edmunds would be the pick).
I get it, you went for BPA, but that would leave Miami with total trash at TE for 2018.

Great post Hayden!

If you look at this team unit by unit, Miami is average to slightly above average in most areas. The one exception, at this point, is defensive tackle.

Absolutely love the first two picks. Don't think the Dolphins could have done better there.

Fins are still very thin at LB IMO... This is a boom or bust group, top 2 LBs have never played an NFL snap so you have to expect some growing pains here....

I absolutely agree that you can't say we're average or above average at LB. If McMillan returns healthy and plays the way that we all believe he is capable of playing, and we find ONE other linebacker to play alongside him (whether it's TJ in dime/nickel situations, or whoever), then I would agree we could finally be a PLUS in the linebacker column.

I do think that certain units hinge a lot on players remaining healthy, too. At the RB position I am concerned if Drake gets hurt we could be in trouble, and even though I actually REALLY like our new starting OL, depth is also a concern there. I think we've got much better depth in the DL, secondary, and WR corps, though. I do like how this TE group is shaping up, too.

I do think that certain units hinge a lot on players remaining healthy, too. At the RB position I am concerned if Drake gets hurt we could be in trouble, and even though I actually REALLY like our new starting OL, depth is also a concern there. I think we've got much better depth in the DL, secondary, and WR corps, though. I do like how this TE group is shaping up, too.

Actually i think our OL depth is a lot better than it has been in recent years

. Bet if you asked any RT17 detractor on this site what is his best attribute, they’ll quickly tell you it’s his toughness.

i laugh because back in 2012 i was telling everyone that probably his best quality was his toughness, and people were laughing and saying we're in trouble then.

i pointed out if you were an owner paying millions and building a team around a qb you believed in, you'd probably want
that as your #1 item.

took a cheap shot direct hit to knock him out.

As always, appreciate your insight and completely agree about the DT position.

I can’t help but think an agreement with Hankins will be announced June 1st. Even if not, it seems quality DT’s get released in the summer so I’m not nervous about that position YET.

Yea he was drawing a correlation between their injury history.

I mean the way he made it sound you would think Ryan was this fragile QB made of glass, which couldn’t be any further from the truth.

So now we have this purposeful agenda to discredit Tannehill’s toughness in the media. Which I’m sure will be the narrative leading all the way up to week 1.

Bet if you asked any RT17 detractor on this site what is his best attribute, they’ll quickly tell you it’s his toughness.

Put simply, the talking heads are so unbelievably uniformed that it reeks of ulterior motives.

"Purposeful"? You have to be relevant for that to be true.

So you would not have addressed TE in the draft at all? I was also debating if I'd rather have Edmunds with Reid and a TE in the 3rd vs what we took.

I agree that would be a glaring need after my draft and true criticism.

Awesome writeup Hayden, great job buddy.

Thanks for that, I know it took you a rediculous amount of time to do.

I hated all the dumb random people announcing the picks. Just tell me who the pick is at and get the **** off the stage.

Positives
  • I liked how the team let the draft come to them. There were no dumb trades. They stayed patient. They filled vacancies in the depth chart, while selecting players of value.
  • Loved how the team played the QB position in the draft. First, they made other teams respect the fact they might draft a QB at 11. Two QB hungry teams ended up trading in front of the Fins and in turn it pushed down some quality defensive players. I also like that they never reached for a QB. I will talk about the media narrative of “you have to draft a QB every year in a bit”. Miami stayed true to the board and right or wrong they did not waste a pick on a QB that they ultimately thought could not play in the NFL. Drafting a QB for the sake of drafting a QB would not have been a sound decision..

Great write up. These are my two favorite things about what I see happening now with this current direction. It feels so different from past off seasons. In another thread about the scouts it contained a link to the article which posted a picture of the mind set of the draft. "We scout for the Miami Dolphins, NOT the NFL". I found that very powerful and imo these two points back it up. Gase is a different animal this year and he's building what I believe to be a formula of smart players that can run a complex offense and SPEED SPEED SPEED.

and I totally agree about Rosen. I would have never been able to like him. What a jerk off.

Parker isn't technically playing in a contract year though. We picked up his 5th year option, which makes him a 2020 UFA, unless he is cut.
Hopefully, the light comes on this year.

I agree about letting the draft come to them. No crazy trades this year and instead hit on needs for the team. Curious to see how much different the draft would of been had Cardinals never jumped up.

Appreciate your thoughts Hayden.

I too, along with many others, are concerned with our DT situation. I love the Mink pick and didn't want us to go DT high, but we already suffered in run defense with Suh on board (and he was rated excellent in that role). With him gone, and the addition of a speed/coverage LB in Baker, I'm not sure what the game plan is to improve the run defense. Mink will help a bit no doubt. But beyond that...hopefully McMillan can help as well. Here's to hoping our young DTs step up and ball out.

Back
Top Bottom