Hayden Fox's Week Eight Assessment | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hayden Fox's Week Eight Assessment

Hayden Fox

Is it Sunday yet?
Club Member
Reaction score
Positives

* Won the Turnover Differential 3 to 1.
* Miami got 17 points of those 3 turnovers.
* Miami's offense went 95 yards on a drive that ended in a TD. The big play of the drive was a long throw from Ryan Tannehill to Mike Wallace for 50 yards. The throw changed the momentum of the game. Wallace did a tremendous job getting one knee down in bounds making it a completed pass. The throw got the team out of the shadow of their own end zone and the offense in business to put the game away.
* Miami rushed for 148 yards on 24 carries for a 6.2 average.
* Tannehill bounced back with a solid 2nd half.
* Tannehill once again used his legs effectively by gaining 48 yards on 5 carries. RT's read option to ice the game was executed beautifully as he went for 30 yards.
* RT's "tough guy" play in the 4th quarter in which he shrugged off defenders to find Dion Sims for a long gain.
* Lamar Miller had 78 yards on 14 carries and caught 3 balls for 21 yards….99 total yards for the RB. Miller had a huge run to set up Miami's lone TD.
* Rishard Matthews TD catch.
* Dion Sims had 51 yards on 2 catches.
* Dallas Thomas subbed for Daryn Colledge and brought stability to the line.
* The defense carried the day and ultimately gave up 13 points…7 of which came against Miami's back ups.
* The D played hard all game long despite being on the field a lot in the 1st half.
* After the offense turned it over, the Dolphins defense promptly forced a punt.
* The defense kept Jacksonville to 6-15 on the 3rd down.
* Jacksonville's offense was 0-1 in the Red Zone. Obviously, Miami did not give up a TD, but only allowing one trip in the red area is tremendous in itself.
* The defense registered 4 sacks and had consistent pressure on QB Blake Bortles.
* Louis Delmas. Delmas had an 81 yard interception return for a TD. He also recovered a fumble.
* Jelani Jenkins forced a fumble on a scrambling Bortles.
* Brent Grimes pick 6.
* Cam Wake was outstanding. Wake had a sack and a QB hit. He had 5 TOT with all 5 solo with one for a loss. Wake also created a holding penalty late in the game as he was lining up Bortles.
* Olivier Vernon was active. His work versus the run was off the charts. He had 5 TOT with 3 solo tackles and one for a loss. He had one QB hit.
* Reshad Jones 8 TOT with 6 of the solo variety. One of his tackles was for a loss. Jones also had a sack on a blitz and chipped in a QB hit.
* Terrence Fede and Jonathan Freeny got sacks.
* O.V.'s blocked a field goal that kept Jacksonville from drawing first blood.
* Matthews had an outstanding open field tackle when covering a punt.
* A big holding call on the Jaguars that pushed them out of FG range.
* While the team lost the time of possession (32:23 to 27:37), the second half the team did much better possessing the ball.
* Awesome to here the "Let's Go Dolphins" chant echoing at EverBank Field. Good showing.

Negatives

* The offense was 1-4 in the Red Zone.
* The offense was 5-12 on 3rd down.
* Daryn Colledge was awful. His poor play kept Miami from doing much of anything early in this game. Whether it was his migraines or his simple lack of talent, he was atrocious today.
* The overall pass protection was not very good...especially in the first half. They ended up giving up 3 sacks and lots of pressure.
* Brian Hartline's drops.
* Branden Albert was not on the LOS early in the game that nullified a Dolphins 1st down.
* The run defense gave up 176 yards on 30 carries for a 5.9 average. They did not have much of an answer for Denard Robinson and some of the Jacksonville's design fooled the defense.
* Jamar Taylor was beaten in coverage. Bortles consistently attacked him. Taylor also missed an open field tackle that ended up as a Jags 1st down.
* Dion Jordan jumping offsides on a Jax field goal attempt that ended up missing wide. Jordan was pinned with the penalty though I thought it was Randy Starks that jumped. Whoever it was, it was undisciplined.
* 52 yards on 7 penalties.
* I was not crazy about the offensive design in the 1st half today. Bill Lazor did little to neutralize the pass rush of Jacksonville. Rarely, did he use their aggressiveness against them with screens, reverses, reverse action or simply moving RT's launch point.
* On Miami's last FG attempt, it was obvious they were going to kick, yet the FG team could not get organized in time before the play clock ran out.
* It was disappointing to see the results on offense in terms of 3rd downs and the Red Zone after Joe Philbin said earlier in the week it was the focus of practice.
* How brutal was the CBS broadcast? The difference between their production of the "A" crew vs. "D" crew is incredible. First, they were almost in a commercial after a Jags FG when they rushed back to show a holding call on the Jags. It pushed the Jags out of field goal range and they had to punt. From there, the picture went out splitting the image on the screen in half. All three announcers got names wrong at some point. A Jag made a tackle, but the color guy was reading off his Dolphins roster and had to correct himself. He also said O.V. had a stinger even though it was Nate Garner. They were talking about plays that just happened even though there were flags on the field that nullified exactly what they were talking about. It was frustrating when there was action happening on the field in terms of the refs or scrums etc, but the truck went to the facial shots of the coaches and players so the viewer had no idea what was happening on the field. It was simply a terrible broadcast.

Overall Assessment

* It was simply silly that some members of the local media and people here talking about "blowouts" and "scoring 40" this week. This was Miami's second straight road game and Jacksonville had some athletes/matchups that were going to give the Fins a hard time. It was obvious this game was going to be a dogfight and Miami got a hard-fought albeit imperfect win.
* I am happy to hear the Fins players saying they "need to do better" and talking "improvement". It shows maturity and the understanding that they have to get better.
* I will continue to beat the drum that Mike Pouncey belongs at C.
* Is it time that Billy Turner gets a look at LG? Who knows what is happening at practice and obviously he is not even active. However, I loved the Turner pick and think he has a big upside. I think he can be a monster in the run game. With that said, props to Dallas Thomas. When he entered the game, things seemed to settle down up front and more offensive success followed. I understand that Colledge said he had some terrible headaches, but one wonders if Thomas or Turner need to go to LG.
* The Nickel CB has to be an area of concern as long as Jimmy Wilson is out. It is obvious that Will Davis is far down the depth chart. Jamar Taylor has a bright red bull's eye on him. He is constantly beat in coverage. The schedule has QB names like Rivers, Stafford and Manning coming this month. If Wilson is out, I am not sure what the answer is, but it is a big area of concern going forward.
* Gus Bradley might be a top five whiner in the NFL.
* I am not crazy how this team has finished with lead the last two weeks. While the game is pretty much in doubt, Miami has had some plays in which they just did not finish. Last week, it was Caleb Sturgis' miss from in close. This week it was RT's pick in the end zone. It is somewhat nitpicking, but it is also the idea of creating an attitude of "finishing" games that this team must develop.
* No doubt Miami has to improve. However, it is nice to get a "W" while understanding there is a lot more work to be done going forward.

Great Hayden.

Gus Bradley whining -- man, I get that if you are ripped off a play. Getting in the official's ear for something legit is fine, but that play to Wallace was CLEARLY a catch.

Big time play from a big time WR that would have stood up to any challenge.

If Gus wanted to cry so much about the call he should have thrown the flag. Man up and put your money where your mouth is.

LD

Always enjoy your write up Hayden.

I like the fact that we won ugly...but we won. There was a time when we lost games like this. Good resilience all around.....

Agree with Gus being a whiney little B. To be fair, I'd be whining if that was my team to coach

* I was not crazy about the offensive design in the 1st half today. Bill Lazor did little to neutralize the pass rush of Jacksonville. Rarely, did he use their aggressiveness against them with screens, reverses, reverse action or simply moving RT's launch point.

That was the main thing that stood out to me in the fist half. In the second half he tried to get the ball out of Ryan's hands quick and tried a couple screens on that opening drive in the second half, but the screens weren't working either today. It was probably the worst game by the O line this year (well Bills game was probably the worst so this was second worst).

Great writeup and points as always. Especially about Bradley going beserk after every play....the CBS telecast being beyond awful...commentators and pictures... I would like to add how HORRIBLE Trunsik was at MLB and what a poor job the officiating crew was not only calling penalties but screwing up any explanation they tried to give

I thought it was hysterical! you saw Bradley going crazy...but at the same time you could see that someone was telling him in his ear that the catch was good...then slyly and slowly sliding the red challenge flag back into his pocket. I was screaming for him to throw the flag! those who have the game taped...watch it...its beyond funny! great acting

I thought it was hysterical! you saw Bradley going crazy...but at the same time you could see that someone was telling him in his ear that the catch was good...then slyly and slowly sliding the red challenge flag back into his pocket. I was screaming for him to throw the flag! those who have the game taped...watch it...its beyond funny! great acting

Yep. Saw the same thing and I'm like, are you serious? You just put the flag in your pocket yet you're still posturing, lol.

LD

the long td seemed to be a mix up in coverage but jamar taylor wasnt beaten on the play. i thought he did good today so i dont get your analysis. finnegan was beat a few times too and was out of position on a few other plays. i think taylor should get more time...

Thank you for the write up. A couple of thoughts to add:

1. Turnover battle. We are starting to get defensive turnovers and 2 pick six's!! in one game. RT's INT was unfortunate, but I don't have a problem for going for a touchdown. My only issue on that play was there was way too much push up the middle; something outside would have seemed safer.

2. Although we are scoring 24 points per game, it seems that good/great teams are scoring even higher.

3. I am concerned about Hartline. Is he have a hard time getting open in Lazor's offense? Is he too worried about his role in the play call that he can't play loose? Something is wrong with him.

4. I understand your thoughts on putting Pouncey at center, but with today's LG performance, I don't want to weaken the right side also.

5. Our rookie RT got called for a false start; I still think he is playing very well.

* I will continue to beat the drum that Mike Pouncey belongs at C.
* Is it time that Billy Turner gets a look at LG?

1. I agree. I thought he would be a good fit at RG, but he is struggling, and Satele really isn't impressive at center.
2. YES!

IMO we need to try:

Albert - Turner - Pouncey - Smith - James

That is a PHYSICAL line that will hurt people in the running game and is less likely to get MANHANDLED in pass pro.

Back
Top Bottom