Henson or Rivers? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Henson or Rivers?

this is from my post about henson two weeks ago

what is this fascination with drew henson? he wasn't really earth-shattering at michigan (he only started one season and ranked #6 in big ten passing efficiency, behind brees, rashard casey, zak kustok, kurt kittner, and steve bellisari-not exactly a bunch of aa's) and he's been out of the game for 4 years now, do you guys think he's just gonna come in and be ready to go from jump street? i'd rather sign a proven commodity or draft a youngster.
i don't know how or why people think he is the second coming from one year of starting. sure he has all the physical tools and fits into the scout's box, but so did akili smith/chad hutchinson. i might be wrong, and he might be a future hof, but i wanna see it.

A leader over an arm? What are you talking about. Henson's arm is definitely stronger.

Drew Henson

Position: Quarterback
College: Michigan
Height: 6-4
Weight: 223
Hometown: Brighton, Mich

ANALYSIS
Positives: Confident field general with a strong personality … Tough and durable, absorbing punishing shots without ever being knocked out of a game … Has fine delivery and passing mechanics, hitting receivers in stride on timing patterns … Keeps his cool under pressure … Very quick driving away from the center while setting up, showing the body control needed to throw on the move … Carries the ball chest-high and is always ready to throw … Has quick wrist action in his delivery and the power behind his tosses so he does not have to plant in order to throw the deep passes … Knows how to adjust his release based on angles taken while throwing … Can drill the ball in the seam playing the short-area passing game and keeps receivers within their routes by feathering the ball to them on long bombs … Shows good backside awareness rolling out of the pocket … Scans the field effectively and throws with impressive velocity in the intermediate and short range … Can also hold for placements.

Negatives: Tends to lock onto his primary receivers too much … Looks too long at his primary targets, taking unnecessary punishment when the pocket collapses, rather than throwing the ball out of bounds to prevent a turnover … Needs to improve his timing patterns to prevent receivers from having to adjust and turn constantly on routes … Will need a little refinement in his delivery, as he does not open and close his shoulders quickly … Overthrows at times on fades and post patterns … Availability is under review, as he is still under contract to the New York Yankees baseball organization.

2000 SEASON
Played in nine games, starting the final eight … Completed 146 of 237 passes (61.6 percent) for 2,146 yards, 18 touchdowns and only 4 interceptions … His 2,146 yards rank seventh on the school's season-record list … Scored twice on 33 carries … Averaged 237.8 yards per game in total offense.
Bowling Green, Rice and UCLA - Missed the season's first three games after undergoing foot surgery on August 24.
Illinois - Made his 2000 debut, coming off the bench to hit on 8 of 17 attempts for 141 yards and a 57-yard touchdown to his favorite target, David Terrell.
Wisconsin - Inserted into the starting lineup, he connected on 15 of 27 passes for 257 yards and a game-winning 15-yard scoring strike to Terrell in a 13-10 decision.
Purdue - Threw for 256 yards on 26 of 35 chances with a pair of scores.
Indiana - Gained 233 yards on 14 of 18 passes as he found Terrell with touchdowns of 43 and 27 yards.
Michigan State - Completed 17 of 37 tosses for 138 yards.
Northwestern - Bounced back to amass 312 yards on 23 of 45 tries with 4 touchdowns, including 11-, 10- and 22-yarders to Terrell and also ran for a two-point conversion.
Penn State - Totaled 212 yards on 14 of 29 passes and a pair of scores, including a 40-yarder to B.J. Askew, but had a career-high 3 interceptions.
Ohio State - Added 14 of 25 attempts for 303 yards and 3 touchdowns, including a 70-yarder to Anthony Thomas and also ran for a 1-yard score.
Auburn (Citrus Bowl) - Closed out his career with 15 of 20 completions for 294 yards and 2 touchdowns, including a 31-yarder to Terrell.

1999 SEASON
Played in 10 games behind Tom Brady … Completed 47 of 90 passes (52.2 percent) for 546 yards, 3 touchdowns and a pair of interceptions … Scored once on 27 carries … Averaged 53.2 yards per game in total offense.

1998 SEASON
Appeared in eight games as a reserve behind Tom Brady, finishing with 254 yards on 21 of 47 passes (44.7 percent) with 3 touchdowns and an interception.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Reports say that the year the Texans drafted David Carr, they were ready to make Drew Henson their #1 pick but he opted for baseball.

Len P. reported on radio that Gil Brandt (i think) was scouting for the Cowboys and he either saw or did the report on Drew Henson himself. The report said that Drew Henson's upside is better than that of a rookie named Troy Aikman. :eek:

ya know....if Henson shows hes still as good as he was before he left for baseball, i'd say take him. If not, Rivers all the way. If we get one of the 2 i wont be disappointed at all, lol.

Henson's arm is stronger from what I hear and his mechanics aren't really a question mark. Not to mention Henson beat out Tom Brady for the start at Michigan if I'm not mistaken, and in general Michigan's program has produced Griese and Brady, and Henson looked better than both...way better.

Henson no question. He's more talented, wouldn't cost us the 20th pick, & would be cheaper than a 1st rounder.

Thats where I beg to differ. I doubt he'll be cheaper than a first round pick. I think he'd be more expensive because no doubt his agent will want a salary that reflects the nature of him being a top 5 selection when he chose baseball. Plus depending on the trade the chips are realy in Henson's basket cuz if we trade a first round pick for him I believe we have until the draft to negotiate the contract otherwise he just re-enters the draft and we're SCREWED.

Henson is going to have to prove more than 1 year of college to prove to me that he is better than Rivers. Henson played one year and he is better than Rivers his skills are better than Rivers and he is a better QB than Rivers Get real I don't believe he is that great. Henson aint that good at baseball the game he loves the most what make you think that he is going to be that great at football? Rivers puts all his knowledge at football he concentrates on football.

"I believe we have until the draft to negotiate the contract otherwise he just re-enters the draft and we're SCREWED."

Alright, can someone confirm this belief? because if it's true, we have got to negotiate a deal with him before a trade...

--Ross

Originally posted by Noland
Henson is going to have to prove more than 1 year of college to prove to me that he is better than Rivers. Henson played one year and he is better than Rivers his skills are better than Rivers and he is a better QB than Rivers Get real I don't believe he is that great. Henson aint that good at baseball the game he loves the most what make you think that he is going to be that great at football? Rivers puts all his knowledge at football he concentrates on football.

Well...like it or not....he don't have to prove much to be a higher prospect than Rivers. So what he loved baseball the most? He just didn't have the abilities. Many scouts have touted his football abilities.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Thats where I beg to differ. I doubt he'll be cheaper than a first round pick. I think he'd be more expensive because no doubt his agent will want a salary that reflects the nature of him being a top 5 selection when he chose baseball. Plus depending on the trade the chips are realy in Henson's basket cuz if we trade a first round pick for him I believe we have until the draft to negotiate the contract otherwise he just re-enters the draft and we're SCREWED.

Under NFL rules he has to first sign with the Texans to be traded. Since he was drafted last year the Texans can only sign him to however much money remains in their rookie player pool. They can't go over that #. The rookie pool keeps rookies from demanding too much money.

We'd likely be better off going for Henson, if the deal's right. If the guy makes it into the draft we won't get a sniff at him though. Would make it much easier to expect a shot at Rivers.

Back
Top Bottom