Henson/Rivers: Part 67 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Henson/Rivers: Part 67

Hmm well it wasnt a newspaper story it was a radio interview. Mularkey was asked about Rivers I think after the Senior Bowl and he was like yeah we'd love to draft him at #13 if he fell that far.

Try askin some of the local bills fans like CW. He remembers it.

Philip Rivers stat of the day: In his 51 games at NCSU, he completed less than 60% of his passes in 16 games, and half of them came in his freshman season. That's pretty daggum good.

Yup, pretty good. I mean, given the offense was designed to center around the QB and be a very high percentage pass completion offense...but, his senior year YPA was 9.3 and thats just phenomenal ESPECIALLY for a high percentage short passing offense.

Consider that Drew Brees, the midget, with his offense in Purdue. It was run the same way and he accomplished a lot of the same things as Rivers. Like Rivers, Brees also looked good for a couple of years and had been starting a while, and like Rivers, Brees faced some tough defenses I think in the SEC (i'm not a college football nut). But unlike Rivers, Brees never really got a Yard per Attempt much higher than 7. This means one of two things to me. Either Rivers is better at pushing the ball downfield (ie stronger arm), or Rivers is even better at using his accuracy as a weapon than Brees was. And remember, with Brees if he was as tall as Rivers is, he would have been a very high first rounder. A lot of Brees' troubles in San Diego stem from his arm strength (YPA) and his height.

Back
Top Bottom