Here are the Top 10 Dolphins hits and misses of Chris Grier GM regime | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Here are the Top 10 Dolphins hits and misses of Chris Grier GM regime

🤦‍♂️ You would have to add failing to pick Parsons or Slater (2 or the 3 2021 rookie pro bowlers and taking Waddle with a trade up (losing a 2022 1st rounder).

This is how bad Grier is….# 2 and #3 and #7 don’t even play for us. That’s 30% of your top 10 hits. Pathetic. I seriously can’t believe Grier has defenders on this site.

Well umm..ya see, they don’t play for us for good reason. It wasn’t pathetic to trade a offensive lineman for 69 picks. It was actually very smart.

And if it were up to Grier Minkah would still be here(although I’m glad he’s not). The coach ran him off.

This article is awful. Could literally do the exact same thing with every GM with the league. Putting draft picks that he passed on? Every GM and front office passes on elite guys lol

2020 draft first three picks compared to 2021 draft first three picks. Wow! What a difference. What happened there. It's almost like two different people
I'm glad Flo is gone. He had 3 seasons to get it right and failed. But, in 2021 I think the great picks were NOT made by Grier. We've seen his drafts and they are unexciting at best. I think Holland and Phillips were 100% Flores. I hope Grier can make great picks without Flo to point him in the right direction. At #22 when Najee Harris was still on the board we went defense and took Phillips. This was Flo fortifying his D all the way. At that moment the cup board was bare as far as offensive weapons. We had a chance to upgrade the run game dramatically but went defense with a stud pass rusher. That's Flo all the way imo. If Ross thinks Grier picked Holland and Phillips that would save Grier's job so I think that's what went down here. Grier is a real corporate survivor, anything to keep his job. I'd fire him right away. Guys like that sink an organization because it's all about keeping his job. This was Mike Tannenbaum's problem and now we see it again. A pattern of failure. 5 days after Grier became GM he hired Adam Gase. He was wrong on Gase, wrong on Iggy, wrong on Harris, wrong on Jackson and it's up for debate but most think he was wrong on Tua and should have taken Justin Herbert. Grier hired Flores who couldn't get us to the post season. When does he take responsibility for his crippling blunders?????? His only value is doing well on trades regarding draft choices but it doesn't play out very well because Grier simply whiffs on most of his draft picks. So we see Tunsil and Minkah walk out our door but LT is still a massive problem for Miami. Grier never replaced Tunsil and the oline never recovered and is still seeking a LT. All that idiot does is create problems that weaken the team. And our ultra idiot owner keeps this guy around in a position where he can constantly screw up. Why is Ross so comfortable with Grier?.....Baffling!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't he see that Grier is a huge part of the problem with this team going forward? Now he gets to hire another Coach?????? Lord help us!!!!

I'm glad Flo is gone. He had 3 seasons to get it right and failed. But, in 2021 I think the great picks were NOT made by Grier. We've seen his drafts and they are unexciting at best. I think Holland and Phillips were 100% Flores. I hope Grier can make great picks without Flo to point him in the right direction. At #22 when Najee Harris was still on the board we went defense and took Phillips. This was Flo fortifying his D all the way. At that moment the cup board was bare as far as offensive weapons. We had a chance to upgrade the run game dramatically but went defense with a stud pass rusher. That's Flo all the way imo. If Ross thinks Grier picked Holland and Phillips that would save Grier's job so I think that's what went down here. Grier is a real corporate survivor, anything to keep his job. I'd fire him right away. Guys like that sink an organization because it's all about keeping his job. This was Mike Tannenbaum's problem and now we see it again. A pattern of failure. 5 days after Grier became GM he hired Adam Gase. He was wrong on Gase, wrong on Iggy, wrong on Harris, wrong on Jackson and it's up for debate but most think he was wrong on Tua and should have taken Justin Herbert. Grier hired Flores who couldn't get us to the post season. When does he take responsibility for his crippling blunders?????? His only value is doing well on trades regarding draft choices but it doesn't play out very well because Grier simply whiffs on most of his draft picks. So we see Tunsil and Minkah walk out our door but LT is still a massive problem for Miami. Grier never replaced Tunsil and the oline never recovered and is still seeking a LT. All that idiot does is create problems that weaken the team. And our ultra idiot owner keeps this guy around in a position where he can constantly screw up. Why is Ross so comfortable with Grier?.....Baffling!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't he see that Grier is a huge part of the problem with this team going forward? Now he gets to hire another Coach?????? Lord help us!!!!
100 % agree

Hits​

1. Xavien Howard, CB, 2016 Draft, 2-38 — Pro Bowler, Hall of Fame track.

2. Laremy Tunsil, OT, 2016 Draft 1-13 — Pro Bowler, traded away.

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, 2018 Draft 1-11 — Pro Bowler, traded away.

4. Jaylen Waddle, WR, 2021 Draft 1-6 — Rookie receiving record.

5. Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, 2020 Free Agency — Two years, 18 sacks.

6. Jevon Holland, S, 2021 Draft 2-36 — Ideal center fielder.

7. Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, 2019 Free Agency — Extraordinary leader.

8. Christian Wilkins, DT, 2019 Draft 1-13 — Massive Year 3 jump.

9. Jerome Baker LB, 2018 Draft, 3-73 — New-age speedy backer.

10. Raekwon Davis, DT, 2020 Draft 2-56 — Massive run-stuffer.

Also considered: Mike Gesicki, Jaelan Phillips, Robert Hunt, Byron Jones, Jason Sanders, Jakeem Grant, Davon Godchaux, Frank Gore.

Misses​

1. Justin Herbert — We're not ready to say Tuais a miss, but passing on Justin is.

2. Jonathan Taylor — Miami went with Austin Jackson, Noah Igbinoghene.

3. Will Fuller, 2021 Free Agency — $10 million, 4 catches.

4. Mario Williams, 2016 Free Agency — Retired after 1.5 sacks.

5. Charles Harris, 2017 NFL Draft 1-22 — 41 games, 3.5 sacks.

6. Ereck Flowers, 2020 Free Agency — Cut after 1 year, cost $17 million with trade.

7. Jordan Howard, 2020 Free Agency — 5 games, 33 rushing yards, $4.7 million.

8. Kyle Van Noy, 2020 Free Agency — Cut after 1 year, cost $15 million.

9. Cordrea Tankersley, 2017 NFL Draft 3-97 — 19 games, 0 interceptions.

10. Shaq Lawson, 2020 Free Agency — Traded after 1 year, cost $13.5 million.

11. (Bonus) Lawrence Timmons, 2017 Free Agency — Retired after one season.

12. (Bonus) Leonte Carroo, 2016 NFL Draft 3-86 — 37 games, 12 catches.

Also considered: Raekwon McMillan, Arian Foster, Dwayne Allen, Josh Sitton, Danny Amendola.

TBF, someone should list all the misses by 31 other teams. Take Wilson. Missed by every team TWICE. Most analysts had him a mid-round pick. Or Dion Jordan. IIRC, most analysts had him in the #4-8 range. Yeah, that's a miss, but it implies many people missed on that. JMHO, but a R1 pick who becomes 'average' or 'situational' isn't a miss. A minority of R1 picks become All-Pro.

This is a petty good list, though I’d put your bonuses in the misses up higher.

Timmons going AWOL was a major embarrassment and Carroo was one of the most head scratching choices ever, let alone trading up so much for him.

Hits​

1. Xavien Howard, CB, 2016 Draft, 2-38 — Pro Bowler, Hall of Fame track.

2. Laremy Tunsil, OT, 2016 Draft 1-13 — Pro Bowler, traded away.

3. Minkah Fitzpatrick, S, 2018 Draft 1-11 — Pro Bowler, traded away.

4. Jaylen Waddle, WR, 2021 Draft 1-6 — Rookie receiving record.

5. Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, 2020 Free Agency — Two years, 18 sacks.

6. Jevon Holland, S, 2021 Draft 2-36 — Ideal center fielder.

7. Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, 2019 Free Agency — Extraordinary leader.

8. Christian Wilkins, DT, 2019 Draft 1-13 — Massive Year 3 jump.

9. Jerome Baker LB, 2018 Draft, 3-73 — New-age speedy backer.

10. Raekwon Davis, DT, 2020 Draft 2-56 — Massive run-stuffer.

Also considered: Mike Gesicki, Jaelan Phillips, Robert Hunt, Byron Jones, Jason Sanders, Jakeem Grant, Davon Godchaux, Frank Gore.

Misses​

1. Justin Herbert — We're not ready to say Tuais a miss, but passing on Justin is.

2. Jonathan Taylor — Miami went with Austin Jackson, Noah Igbinoghene.

3. Will Fuller, 2021 Free Agency — $10 million, 4 catches.

4. Mario Williams, 2016 Free Agency — Retired after 1.5 sacks.

5. Charles Harris, 2017 NFL Draft 1-22 — 41 games, 3.5 sacks.

6. Ereck Flowers, 2020 Free Agency — Cut after 1 year, cost $17 million with trade.

7. Jordan Howard, 2020 Free Agency — 5 games, 33 rushing yards, $4.7 million.

8. Kyle Van Noy, 2020 Free Agency — Cut after 1 year, cost $15 million.

9. Cordrea Tankersley, 2017 NFL Draft 3-97 — 19 games, 0 interceptions.

10. Shaq Lawson, 2020 Free Agency — Traded after 1 year, cost $13.5 million.

11. (Bonus) Lawrence Timmons, 2017 Free Agency — Retired after one season.

12. (Bonus) Leonte Carroo, 2016 NFL Draft 3-86 — 37 games, 12 catches.

Also considered: Raekwon McMillan, Arian Foster, Dwayne Allen, Josh Sitton, Danny Amendola.
Thanks for posting that.
Off the top of my head though, a few of those guys reportedly only left b/c of issues with or mandates by Flo, Minkah, Flowers and Van Noy. Also reportedly the Iggy pick over Taylor was due to Flores as well. On the other hand, the Raekwon pick may have been at Flores' behest.

Reportedly, the Dolphins wanted Wirfs and Becton for the OL and tried to trade up to get them. Austin Jackson was the fall back after all that failed.

I'm also not sure how much credit to give Grier for picks/decisions before Wilkins. He didn't have final say at that point so at best the information on who he wanted is murky. Even after he had final say, it seems that he clearly let Flo have control over the roster so none of us know who wanted whom. That's why I'm hesitant to say that Grier has been good or bad. Over all, I do think Miami has, over the last three seasons since Grier has been the GM, greatly improved their roster and their salary cap situation.

Back
Top Bottom