Home Run Derby this year is a joke | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Home Run Derby this year is a joke

Ray Finkle

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
I personally feel that the Home Run Derby this year is a joke (and the HR Derby has been more of a joke since 2000). This year they're hyping the crap out of the Baseball World Cup and giving us 8 guys from 8 different counties. I'm sorry but I doubt anyone cares about which country wins. As fans we want to see the top home run hitters in the game face off. Not seeing Jason Bay rep. Team Canada or Choi for Korea (who isn't even on the All Star Team). That is totally stupid much like having Palmerio in it last year because no one wanted to be in it (which is another thing wrong about baseball and the Derby). Ichiro was even asked to be in it so they could have a Team Japan but he said no because he's not a home run hitter. In my opinion the best HR Derby was in 1999 at Fenway when you had a show put on by McGwire, Sosa and Griffey Jr. since then the event has gone down hill. How can you have a HR Derby without last years winner Tejeda in it? Granted I'm very happy David Ortiz is in it (my pick to win). I think baseball should get its act together and realize people want to see the 8 best. Give us Albert Pujols, Adam Dunn, Derrek Lee, Miguel Caberra and David Ortiz, Vlad Guerrero, Arod and Manny Ramirez or Sheffield. Not the bunch of jokers (I mean Bay, Choi and IRod... doesn't he have 5 home runs this year?) we have this year. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I completely agree..

Baseball is forcing this World Cup sh*t down fans throats. Jason Bay is an excellent young talent, but come on, he's not a top 20 power hitter in baseball. Hee Seop Choi is another young talent, but I don't want to see this guy in the homerun derby.

Great point about Tejada, last years winner, not even in the competition this year.

In a couple of years we're going to have Starvin' Marvin representing Eithiopia. It's ridiculous. Let's just see the best power hitters in the game compete, regardless of where they are from.

Ray Finkle said:
I personally feel that the Home Run Derby this year is a joke (and the HR Derby has been more of a joke since 2000). This year they're hyping the crap out of the Baseball World Cup and giving us 8 guys from 8 different counties. I'm sorry but I doubt anyone cares about which country wins. As fans we want to see the top home run hitters in the game face off. Not seeing Jason Bay rep. Team Canada or Choi for Korea (who isn't even on the All Star Team). That is totally stupid much like having Palmerio in it last year because no one wanted to be in it (which is another thing wrong about baseball and the Derby). Ichiro was even asked to be in it so they could have a Team Japan but he said no because he's not a home run hitter. In my opinion the best HR Derby was in 1999 at Fenway when you had a show put on by McGwire, Sosa and Griffey Jr. since then the event has gone down hill. How can you have a HR Derby without last years winner Tejeda in it? Granted I'm very happy David Ortiz is in it (my pick to win). I think baseball should get its act together and realize people want to see the 8 best. Give us Albert Pujols, Adam Dunn, Derrek Lee, Miguel Caberra and David Ortiz, Vlad Guerrero, Arod and Manny Ramirez or Sheffield. Not the bunch of jokers (I mean Bay, Choi and IRod... doesn't he have 5 home runs this year?) we have this year. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Great Post... I won't watch this year, highlights only, is next year pitchers only....

I'm only going to watch to see David Ortiz hit. I was at Wrigley Field for Red Sox vs. Cubs Sunday night game and Ortiz taking batting practice was amazing. The man was hitting every ball out of Wrigley and was getting standing ovations after leaving the batters box. After Ortiz is finished off goes the Derby on goes the WNBA on Lifetime :chuckle: (just kidding)

I'm gonna watch because I enjoy it, but let's face it, who really wants to watch Choi, Bay, or Pudge (who got in since he's from Detroit, but come on) in a HR hitting contest? Derrek Lee wasn't even asked, no Manny? No Miguel Cabrera? No Albert Pujols?

Worse, it's in Comerica Park, where homers go to die. That place is huge. For old times' sake, Tiger Stadium still stands in Detroit. They should have made it suitable to hold people, wired it, and played the HR Derby in there. Now that would have been fun...Mr. Ortiz, meet Mr. Lighttower.

Ray Finkle said:
I'm only going to watch to see David Ortiz hit. I was at Wrigley Field for Red Sox vs. Cubs Sunday night game and Ortiz taking batting practice was amazing. The man was hitting every ball out of Wrigley and was getting standing ovations after leaving the batters box. After Ortiz is finished off goes the Derby on goes the WNBA on Lifetime :chuckle: (just kidding)

Love that Big Papi.. I hope he wins... Go Sox

RWhitney014 said:
I'm gonna watch because I enjoy it, but let's face it, who really wants to watch Choi, Bay, or Pudge (who got in since he's from Detroit, but come on) in a HR hitting contest? Derrek Lee wasn't even asked, no Manny? No Miguel Cabrera? No Albert Pujols?

Worse, it's in Comerica Park, where homers go to die. That place is huge. For old times' sake, Tiger Stadium still stands in Detroit. They should have made it suitable to hold people, wired it, and played the HR Derby in there. Now that would have been fun...Mr. Ortiz, meet Mr. Lighttower.

Oh my, can you imagine these guys teeing off in Tiger Stadium. :lol:

That would have been a great idea. Too bad Selig and the rest of baseball doesn't have 1/100 of the brain of its fans.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Oh my, can you imagine these guys teeing off in Tiger Stadium. :lol:

That would have been a great idea. Too bad Selig and the rest of baseball doesn't have 1/100 of the brain of its fans.

Well, only some of its fans...like those outside the boundaries of New York. :tongue: :lol:

OK, I'm ducking now. ;)

Seriously, I'm young, I only have one memory of Tiger Stadium (I just about freaked when Bobby Bo hit the light tower back in 1997 for the Fish). As much as I love most of the new ballparks, there's a sense of history that's a little bit missing. Tiger Stadium is still there...I don't understand why they didn't make it part of the festivities.

RWhitney014 said:
Well, only some of its fans...like those outside the boundaries of New York. :tongue: :lol:

OK, I'm ducking now. ;)

Seriously, I'm young, I only have one memory of Tiger Stadium (I just about freaked when Bobby Bo hit the light tower back in 1997 for the Fish). As much as I love most of the new ballparks, there's a sense of history that's a little bit missing. Tiger Stadium is still there...I don't understand why they didn't make it part of the festivities.

Yeah, I agree that there is history missing from the new ballparks. But as a Bostonian, I sure am jealous of all the fans around the league that don't have to worry about obstructed, small, ackward, and uncomfortable seats that are angled in the wrong direction (stiff neck anyone?) that Fenway offers. And let's not even get started on the shortage and price of them.

FaninPatsyLand said:
I second that.

Big series starting Thursday huh?

Ya we need to start turning it around. Waiting on Theo to make a move to help the bullpen. Bradford will not be enough..

GreenMonster said:
Ya we need to start turning it around. Waiting on Theo to make a move to help the bullpen. Bradford will not be enough..

Agreed, although I do like the acquisition of Bradford. He should help, his submarine release point can't be easy on opposing hitters.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Agreed, although I do like the acquisition of Bradford. He should help, his submarine release point can't be easy on opposing hitters.

Was that definitely agreed upon? I read somewhere that it didn't go through. Oh, Fan, check your PM box...I sent you one.

Back
Top Bottom