Home Run Derby this year is a joke | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Home Run Derby this year is a joke

RWhitney014 said:
Was that definitely agreed upon? I read somewhere that it didn't go through. Oh, Fan, check your PM box...I sent you one.

I believe from what I gathered through WEEI (sports radio station up here) that it has been agreed to in principle, but it cannot be finalized until after the All-Star break due to some rules enforced by baseball.

FaninPatsyLand said:
I believe from what I gathered through WEEI (sports radio station up here) that it has been agreed to in principle, but it cannot be finalized until after the All-Star break due to some rules enforced by baseball.

That's BS. The Marlins traded Ryan Dempster to Cincy for Juan Encarnacion and Wilton Guerrero during the AS Break in 2001. Then, later that day, they sent Guerrero along with Cliff Floyd to Montreal in return for Graeme Lloyd, Mike Mordecai, and your b*tch, as you like to call him. So unless that's a new rule, I don't believe it for a second.

Is something wrong with Bradford? For the A's to trade an effective reliever for a guy who is, at best, a 5th OF seems strange.

I'll be watching the HR derby.. just beacaues there won't be anything else on to watch ;) I do agree that some of the participants are very weak.

Jt0323 said:
the whole all star is a joke w/o jeter

Oh, stop it. Michael Young and Miguel Tejada both have better numbers. If you expand it to middle infielders, Brian Roberts and Alfonso Soriano both have better numbers. The baseball world doesn't revolve around the Yankees, especially this year. You even had two chances to vote another player in, and you couldn't even beat out the ultra-popular Scott Podsednik, who also deserved to go.

I think it's B.S. that people who didn't make the all-star team are allowed to compete in the homerun derby!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I think it's B.S. that people who didn't make the all-star team are allowed to compete in the homerun derby!

Yeah, really. If they were going to do that, they should have had Hideki Matsui represent Japan. He's the best home run hitter from a country not represented, by far. He might have turned it down, but I don't like that.

RWhitney014 said:
Yeah, really. If they were going to do that, they should have had Hideki Matsui represent Japan. He's the best home run hitter from a country not represented, by far. He might have turned it down, but I don't like that.

As long as the great hitter Choi is there I will be watching...

Jt0323 said:
the whole all star is a joke w/o jeter

He does not belong there this year! there has been a few years he does not belong! Not trying to take away from him, but just because his name is Jeter, does not mean he belongs on the team.

RWhitney014 said:
That's BS. The Marlins traded Ryan Dempster to Cincy for Juan Encarnacion and Wilton Guerrero during the AS Break in 2001. Then, later that day, they sent Guerrero along with Cliff Floyd to Montreal in return for Graeme Lloyd, Mike Mordecai, and your b*tch, as you like to call him. So unless that's a new rule, I don't believe it for a second.

Honestly, I don't remember what the reason cited was, but the deal cannot be finalized until after the All-Star break.

But it is in fact done. Payton to Oakland and Bradford to the Red Sox.

phunwin said:
Is something wrong with Bradford? For the A's to trade an effective reliever for a guy who is, at best, a 5th OF seems strange.

Bradford has been on the DL, he's currently rehabing and should be in the majors very soon.

As for Payton, you must not know alot about him. A 5th outfielder? Are you serious. I think there MIGHT be 5-10 teams in baseball that he wouldn't be starting on, unfortunately for him, the Red Sox were one. He's a very solid player.

I think the HR derby is overrated to begin w/ so I don't recall what the format is. Having the game determine home field is the much bigger joke.

Back
Top Bottom