How come nobody is second-guessing Fiedler? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How come nobody is second-guessing Fiedler?

LeftCoastPhin

Getting geeked for 2003!!
Reaction score
Ok, sure, we sucked without him, but does that make him good? NO

I'm up in the air about Fiedler, but the bottom line is he plays the most important position and flat out didn't get it done when he needed to the last two games. I think his arm is to inaccurate to be consistent. I just dont know how much of it is his thumb or whatever. I think the only reason why he played well against the Raiders is because their top THREE CB's were out. Give him a tough secondary, and forget about it. He'll throw right to the coverage (Buckley). I say give him one more year only because there are no other options better and maybe it was his thumb that caused him to be mediocre the last two games. Only 100 yards and change vs 8 man fronts with the division on the line?? Are you kidding me?

I think with RW he should be much more productive!

Yea, it was suppose to be 'no excuses" since we got Ricky and Chambers, plus an unexpected boost from McMicheal!!

I do not think our WRs or McMichael were playing well when Jay came back; other than maybe McKnight. Jay was not playing nearly well enough to take this team anywhere after his return, but I still do not see any UFA that will replace him. We should draft a QB to start in 2004 IMO

Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
Ok, sure, we sucked without him, but does that make him good? NO

I'm up in the air about Fiedler, but the bottom line is he plays the most important position and flat out didn't get it done when he needed to the last two games. I think his arm is to inaccurate to be consistent. I just dont know how much of it is his thumb or whatever. I think the only reason why he played well against the Raiders is because their top THREE CB's were out. Give him a tough secondary, and forget about it. He'll throw right to the coverage (Buckley). I say give him one more year only because there are no other options better and maybe it was his thumb that caused him to be mediocre the last two games. Only 100 yards and change vs 8 man fronts with the division on the line?? Are you kidding me?

wow, you are going to get flamed for this! There are some guys on this board that for some odd reason think Fiedler is an absolute all pro. He's average and a little above average when he's playing his best. The problem is that you don't want to bring in average to replace average. Solid Quarterbacks are few and far between in the NFL now and I don't know who could replace him that is AVAILABLE and clearly better right now ..... unfortunately, he's definitely our guy next year. On another note, this team could win the big game with him starting if we fill other holes this offseason...... OLB, OL, nickel DB and reciever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not convinced that Fiedler can lead the Phins to the Super Bowl no matter who he as around him.

it is not a question of Jay...it is question of who else will be better and what would that QB do to our cap in 2003 ? Since Jay is very lite on the cap in 2002 and 3 for a starting QB.

Based on the playoff team, you have to go with the fact that having a big time QB is more important that a big time HB; which is disturbing for sure.

I am not convinced that Fiedler can lead the Phins to the Super Bowl no matter who he as around him.

Well, I can respect that opinion, not being a Fiedler fan myself but you have to consider a few things. One being that the Fins made it to a super bowl with David Woodley at QB and the Ravens won the big game with Trent Dilfer! Remember him? I'd have to say he's worse than Fiedler and Fiedler is definitely better than David Woodley was! So it can be done and hopefully next year will be the year! It will have to be with Fiedler, so let's all hope he can play well enough.

Yea, let's hope, one good thing if he doesn't though: Bye bye Fiedler and bye bye Wanny!!

Fiedler is way better than Woodley, I still cant believe the phins went to the dance with that schmoe. Dilfer is better than Fiedler, especially in his super bowl year.

Originally posted by dolphan39

Based on the playoff team, you have to go with the fact that having a big time QB is more important that a big time HB; which is disturbing for sure.

We've already proven that's not the case though with Marino. Although I don't like Jay, I'll take Ricky Williams and Jay instead of bringing in a big time QB without having Ricky Williams.

I agree Trek, but I think it's an unfair arguement. If Marino would have had the present Phinz defense in his prime, he could have won it without a running game. By and large though, I agree, I'd much rather have the dominant ground attack.

You still need a competent QB though, someone who can step up and consistently make plays. Fiedler cannot. If someone thinks he can, I say watch the Patriot game and then come talk to me. I was actually somewhat of a believer in Fiedler till that Patriot game,what a choke and a joke!

I agree Trek, but I think it's an unfair arguement. If Marino would have had the present Phinz defense in his prime, he could have won it without a running game. By and large though, I agree, I'd much rather have the dominant ground attack.

You still need a competent QB though, someone who can step up and consistently make plays. Fiedler cannot. If someone thinks he can, I say watch the Patriot game and then come talk to me. I was actually somewhat of a believer in Fiedler till that Patriot game,what a choke and a joke!

No argument here whatsoever about Fiedler not being able to consistently make plays. No doubt there. That has alot to do with Turner not turning Chambers loose deep more often in my opinion. Chambers will never reach his potential as long as Fiedler is the lead dog.

I'm up in the air about Fiedler, but the bottom line is he plays the most important position and flat out didn't get it done when he needed to the last two games.

Umm you mean the last game since the offense barely touched the ball in the Vikings game and they scored on every 2nd half possession except the final.

Your kidding me? Have you seen the list of QB's who have been in the Super Bowl over the last 20 years. There is a nice long list of bums on that one.

I'm all for upgrading the QB position when it's a CLEAR upgrade and doesn't screw up our cap.

You have some valid points about the Minn game Van. Fiedler played ok, but he missed some key throws down the stretch. The one that Carter dropped should have been more outside and he overshot Chambers by a mile which would have been a big first down.

I'm not saying Fiedler cant win the SB, but he has shown me nothing that makes me think he can.

Back
Top Bottom