How come nobody is second-guessing Fiedler? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How come nobody is second-guessing Fiedler?

Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
It just irks me that fans think he is beyond reproach.

It 'irks' me when we can't disagree with a Fielder hater without having our opinions overstated. We disagree and all of a sudden you think we are saying he's a pro bowl starter. You state it's a team game.....then why aren't you here applauding Jay then when the team rolls?

I place blame squarely where it is deserved, but I also give cudos to where it belongs.

The simple fact though is that the only times I saw Jay play bad was the 4th quarter of the K.C game and the N.E game. Otherwise he was playing quite well.

I will however blame Chambers for not growing up. There are rumblings now that he never did get over that concussion. Old man Buckley was blanketing him like he was Surtain. McMicheal faded down the stretch as LB's payed him more attention (which only helped Ricky and boy can McMicheal BLOCK BABY. Wow most of Ricky's big runs started with McMicheal making a killer block.) and our #2 reciever became a revolving door.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa, whoa, whoa there Van. I certainly did't mean to overstate your opinion and wasn't necessarily referring to you. I have been in Fiedler's corner most of the way, I am just fed up with him and his "come sail away" passes. I have praised him a lot but am just tired of making excuses for him. This was his year to get it done and he did not make enough plays in the passing game to help his offense IMO.

I think it's unfair to rag on Chambers, it's only his second year and his has done way more good than bad.

Okay, whomever said that the Carter drop should have been more outside... to that all I can say is ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?!?!?!??

The ball was placed right between his hands.. he actually had both palms on it and if he hadent gotten his hands infront of it, the ball would have hit him between the numbers... how much more accurate can you get?

Beings the lack of any better options, I'm more than willing to give Fiedler another chance. I give him 40% chance of success next year.

It just irks me that fans think he is beyond reproach. It's a team game and Fiedler among many others did not step up enough to help the team win. He is the QB so he deserves a lot of the blame.

I'll bet you that even if Fiedler is 100% successful if our defense collaspses in big games, like they have for the PAST SIX YEARS, its not going to make a difference at all. I don't know if our core defensive players lack mental toughness or heart. Whatever the case may be there just shouldn't be that big of a dropoff from playing at home to playing on the road PLAIN AND SIMPLE. I'm hoping the team realizes that making the playoffs should not be taken for granted and they come back and work harder next year. They need to focus on the following things:

1. Beating divisional opponents - How does the most talented team in the division goo 2 - 4 in divisional matchups. Are they really the most talented or overrated?

2. Winning on the road - How does the AFC EAST favorites lose in Minnesota against an at the time 4 - 10 Vikings team with nothing to play for.

3. Winning in the December and the cold - This really irks me. I'm tired of hearing about how Miami can't win in December becuase its cold. All of the players on the team have not lived in a warm climate all their lives. I'm sorry the cold is a very lame excuse. I'm willing to bet its tougher to play in HOT Miami in September than Buffalo in December.

I agree with whoever said Carter should have caught that pass against the Vikings. The 2nd most prolific passer in NFL history, who got paid $600,000 to play in 4 games and only start in one, should catch anything that hits his hands END OF STORY.

McMichael's play as a pass receiver did taper off at the end of the season but he was still an impressive blocking tight end. It seemed like whenever there was a replay of a nice Ricky run I saw McMichael mauling somebody.

Fiedler sucks...always has.

If you guys want to settle for a QB who isn;t even in the top ten in the league thats fine.

I am interested in being number one. I want a stud who can throw the rock when we need it. Give me a top five QB on this team and I will show you the Lombardi Trophy.

Originally posted by fin-atic

If you guys want to settle for a QB who isn;t even in the top ten in the league thats fine.

I am interested in being number one. I want a stud who can throw the rock when we need it. Give me a top five QB on this team and I will show you the Lombardi Trophy.

More like I will show you a defense blowing a 40 point lead.

Fin-atic... EXPLAIN to me how the defense blowing an 11 point lead with 5 minutes to go is Jay's fault? Please, explain that. Explain how the defense not being able to get off the stinking field the whole second half against the Vikes is Jay's fault? Explain to me and the whole board how jay puts up 30 points in Kansas City, and we still lose. HOW IS THAT JAY'S FAULT?

Those three games are the difference between 9-7 and 12-4 and first place in the AFC.

I am not going to accept "Jay sucks" until you tell me how he lost those games. If you come back with 'well he didn't make enough plays to win.' or 'he should of made some better passes.' then tell me how many plays is the QB supposed to make for the defense?

24 points in New England, and 30 in K.C. How many points are enough Fin-atic?

Explain. We are all waiting.

Stats are very, very misleading. Don't you remember the countless times he misfired a wide open receiver?? I'm not saying he's the biggest problem, or the whole problem, but he is part of the problem and not the solution.

Your wasting your breath LeftCoast....

How this guy got such adamant supporters I'll never know but they are and are unwilling to admit that he is just average. No he dosen't suck but he clearly is not capable of taking a slumping offense and carry it on his own like a franchise QB can. If the offense is running on all cylinders he's fine.... otherwise forget it!

Originally posted by VanDolPhan

I will however blame Chambers for not growing up.

Just a thought to consider on Chambers' lack of production.....

On many occasions in the beginning of the year Chambers was wide open on long balls and Jay admitedly either didn't pull the trigger or when he did throw the long ball it floated up and was underthrown causing a few stomach wrenching Int. opportunities. Soon after, admitedly by the coaching staff, the offense starting using Chambers on more "possession routes" Throws the coaches thought were better for Fiedler.
Fiedler's problem with the long ball caused a role change for Chambers. Say what you want, but the coaches themselves changed their strategy based on his early performance. If anything, Chambers' talent is being stymied playing with Jay and it always will be until we move on.

Originally posted by fin-atic

You show me a reasonable chance to get one and I'll join you. Until then you suck it up and support your team and be glad that we at least got an average QB with toughness and solid decision making whose stats have improved every year.

As for the Chambers thing. I will never buy the Jay excuse while Chambers is being mugged by old man Buckley.

The only game where Chambers got seperation since being knocked out took a Raiders secondary without it's top 3 CB's and they still had 4th/5th rounders making plays at times.

I like Chambers but he has to step it up. Ricky keeps him from getting too much attention so there shouldn't be these problems.

Originally posted by VanDolPhan
You show me a reasonable chance to get one and I'll join you. Until then you suck it up and support your team and be glad that we at least got an average QB with toughness and solid decision making whose stats have improved every year.

As for the Chambers thing. I will never buy the Jay excuse while Chambers is being mugged by old man Buckley.

The only game where Chambers got seperation since being knocked out took a Raiders secondary without it's top 3 CB's and they still had 4th/5th rounders making plays at times.

I like Chambers but he has to step it up. Ricky keeps him from getting too much attention so there shouldn't be these problems.

Buckley was in a zone Van.....
That means there is no one on one coverage to get seperation from. :rolleyes:

For the record., I feel Fiedler is a sightly above average starting NFL qb. I realize his deep ball needs work, and I also realize that a stud QB would really boost the offense. However I want all the boo-birds to tell me who we should replace him with THIS year, and also I am still waiting for an explaination from Fin-atic about my above questions.

Admin, I'll try to answer on Fin-atic's account:

The Patriot game blame is equal between the offense and defense. Sure, they blew an 11 point lead BUT both scores were flakey. The first one resulted because of a bogus interference call and the second one the Pats got GREAT field position because of bad special teams and an absolute JOKE of an offense. They can't even make ONE stinkin first down!! Jay had his chance and couldn't even complete a pass.

Minn has a top notch offense and a lousy defense. To hold them to 21 points is great, our offense if it had any bite to it should have scored at least 30 on such a crappy defense. How you blame that game on the D is beyond me. Sure, the O didn't have many plays but how about keeping drives alive in crunch time? Oh no, Fiedler has to OVERTHROW his damn receivers when it's time to get a friggin first down!

Our D and Williams cannot get it doen alone, they need help. They need a QB who can make plays with the game on the line. Oh yea, I almost forgot Fiedler could have iced the game but he overshot McKnight by a mile! What a shocker, Mr. Overthrow. And no, McKnight did not run a bad route (fav Jay excuse), Fiedler simply over shot him. Oh god, why am I reliving this night mare!!!

Problem is there's no good replacement this year, my point is it's time to hold our QB to account and be upset that Wanne got us in this spot to begin with!

Sorry about the delay in responding, I was away for the day.

I will gladly explain.

Fiedler had 4 interceptions. Enough said. You can not give the Chiefs that many opportunities and expect to win.
Some quotes from NFL.com about Jay and the game:

"Fiedler was 29-of-45 for 310 yards and one TD. He was intercepted four times by an embattled defense ranked last in the league"

"A couple of those were gifts, but I'm glad to take them," said Wesley. "

Lets see...4 picks to 1 TD, sounds not very good to me.

New England:

15-21 for 177 yards. 1 pass for 50 yards on the first series. That means he barely threw for over 100 yards for the rest of the game. We only scored 17 points. That is not Championship play from the QB spot. Especially against the 28th ranked pass defense. The inability to make plays and score points allowed the Vikings to stay in the game. A win here would have won the division.

New England:

11-25 for 110 yards. 32 on one pass to McNight. That means for all of the other passes for the entiure game (24 attempts) he could only muster 75 yards. And this is in a do or die game. The most crucial game of the year. He threw for under 50% for barely 100 yards.

The Fins have areas that need help. The defense should be ashamed for giving up the games they did. But I also believe that momentum and fatigue figure into the game. When your offense is not scoring and not responding and your defense has to keep going out trying to preserve the game, it wears on the players.

We need better OLB play and I hope we upgrade. But you know what? We need better QB play too. I am so tired of all the homers giving Jay a free pass. Just because he is on our team and is likable, "gutsy" guy, everyone is willing to pat him on the back and say" Jay gives it 150%" and "Jay is not the problem"

Well he is not the solution either. He is not the single problem, but he is certainly not one of the pieces. Everyone is calling for D. Rodgers' head because he is only mediocre at LB and doesn't make enough plays. But we are willing to accept that same thing from the QB position which is clearly the most important position on the team???? Horse crap!

Take off the rose colored glasses everyone and see the truth Jay has got to go.

Back
Top Bottom