How did Ahmad Brooks' workout go? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How did Ahmad Brooks' workout go?

49ers | Team showing big interest in Brooks; but is he too costly?
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:20:33 -0700
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/19">Matt Maiocco, of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat, reports San Francisco 49ers head coach Mike Nolan and vice president of player personnel Scot McCloughan attended the workout of Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks Thursday, June 22. As previously noted, the 49ers are also scheduled to fly Brooks to Santa Clara July 28. He'll have a physical the next day. The 49ers will have the right to select anywhere from No. 1 to No. 11 in the supplemental draft. The 32 teams are divided into three groupings. The first 11 teams (teams with six or fewer victories) will have a lottery to determine which teams choose in which positions, 1 thru 11. If the 49ers use their first pick on Brooks, they would forfeit their first-round selection in the 2007 NFL draft. Some NFL insiders do not expect Brooks to last until the second round of the supplemental draft because he's just so darned talented. The expectation is that a good team with veteran leadership will take a chance on Brooks with its first-round pick. The 49ers probably will not go after Brooks because of the exorbitant price in addition to the baggage he would bring to the team. They probably don't want to sacrifice their first pick for next year (probably another top-10 pick) on a player of questionable character.

Giants | Reese dines with Brooks
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:15:51 -0700
Gil Brandt, of <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/156">NFL.com, reports New York Giants director of player personnel Jerry Reese dined with Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks Wednesday, June 21, one day before his workout for NFL scouts. Brooks is entered in the July 13 NFL supplemental draft.

Bengals | Hunley meets with Brooks
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:14:26 -0700
Gil Brandt, of <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/156">NFL.com, reports Cincinnati Bengals linebackers coach Ricky Hunley met with Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks Wednesday, June 21, one day before his workout for NFL scouts. Brooks is entered in the July 13 NFL supplemental draft.

Packers | Dorsey and McKenzie meet with Brooks
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:11:15 -0700
Gil Brandt, of <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/156">NFL.com, reports Green Bay Packers director of college scouting John Dorsey and director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie met with Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks Wednesday, June 21, one day before his workout for NFL scouts. Brooks is entered in the July 13 NFL supplemental draft.

NFL | Brooks holds workout for NFL scouts
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:58:12 -0700
Gil Brandt, of <A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/156">NFL.com, reports Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks worked out for all but one NFL team today (the Minnesota Vikings did not show). Brooks measured at 6-3, 260 pounds after dropping 32 pounds in 10 weeks. Mike Nolan from the San Francisco 49ers was the only head coach there. He passed five drug tests in the last 10 weeks. He ran three times, timed at 4.68, 4.75 and 4.74 in the 40, with 10-yard splits of 1.53, 1.58 and 1.58 and 20-yard splits of 2.73, 2.75 and 2.75. His arm span measured 33½ inches and his hands measured 9½. He had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-8 long jump, a 4.43 short shuttle, an 11.84 long shuttle, a 7.43 three-cone drill and 19 benches. Brandt says the conditions at the workout were just average. He will continue to work out under Chip Smith in Atlanta.

Well FFIC, I wish there was something about Mueller being there. THat being said I hope he still met with us yesterday, and i hope he impressed. i really want him down in Miami, and with Zach and JT and all our vets on defense should straighten him out if he hasn't learned his lesson already. Heck i even bet Crowder could teach the kid something. Well now we have to wait 2 weeks to find out. This is going to be a boring three weeks, but I guess that's the off-season.:(

b_hjelmeland123 said:
Well FFIC, I wish there was something about Mueller being there. THat being said I hope he still met with us yesterday, and i hope he impressed. i really want him down in Miami, and with Zach and JT and all our vets on defense should straighten him out if he hasn't learned his lesson already. Heck i even bet Crowder could teach the kid something. Well now we have to wait 2 weeks to find out. This is going to be a boring three weeks, but I guess that's the off-season.:(
Keep the Faith bro! Catch a couple of baseball games in the meantime. Nick, and Randy are always working. They may have not wanted to be mentioned to be low key, so no one can figure out what they are going to do.:wink:

What character?

(from the PFT article) Still, there are rumors swirling that his former coaching staff at Virginia hasn't gone out of its way to pimp him at the next level. In this regard, the fact that Brooks was kicked off of the Virginia team by coach Al Groh likely speaks volumes; absent a strong pitch from Groh or his staff, turd-averse teams are likely to pass.

Maybe its just me, but it really doesn't speak too highly that Groh hasn't come out and said a word about him, positive or otherwise. Heck, Beamer came out and managed to say positive things about Vick's character (believable is another story....) so it has to make you wonder.

Fin Fan in Cali said:
Keep the Faith bro! Catch a couple of baseball games in the meantime. Nick, and Randy are always working. They may have not wanted to be mentioned to be low key, so no one can figure out what they are going to do.:wink:

Sorry to all the baseball fans out there but IMO that is the most boring sport to watch, next to golf. I normally watch baseball when i need a nap it normally gets the job done.:D

endorPHINS72 said:
That sounds like a good workout to me. I'd love to have him if we could get him for a 3rd round pick, but that probably won't happen.

Good workout??? 263 sounds heavy for a LB to me, and that's after he crashed dieted and lost 32 lbs. So, he has the potential to balloon up to 295 on a 6'3" frame.
He sounds just like Keith Traylor (drafted as a LB and turned into a pig).

A 4.68 40 time isn't good for a prospective outside LB who would be expected to drop into coverage.

I don't think they should put up anything more than a 6th rd pick for this guy.

These numbers are quite depressing. I had high hopes for this guy, but wow, he was at 290. His 40 times weren't spectacular. Definately has been slowed down since his days of returning kicks, although there was only two occasions, you catch my drift. He is trying to battle back, but i wouldnt risk more than a 4th.

I have to bring out the personal trainer in me and I own a gym so pretty sure I know my stuff ...Anywho.....losing that much weight that quickly will easily affect those numbers he definitely lost a little muscle with that "fat" loss there are so many factors to get into but I am telling you for a fact losing that much weight at that pace will affect those numbers....BUT i am NOT saying he will do much better... that I dont know i cant see the future last time i checked anyway

A good example of this is watching a bodybuilder dieting and losing wieght before a show he becomes EXTREMELY weak compared to what he usually is

Rich22 said:
Those are not great #'s from his workout at all. Right now he is getting alot of hype but he is no 2nd rder with those #'s. That is slow and the fact he just lost 32 lbs just to get to 260 would scare me alot. He seems like a mid to late rder to me because of potential but he carries alot of risk.

thats wonderful...so that means we will get him in the 5th round just like we did with Manny...I am loving the fact that he did poorly...because when he is on the field we all know and have heard what he is capable of...so let him have terrible workouts..let him drop

GCD960 said:
I have a feeling that he will be a niner. Nolan is too interested. I felt like that before the workout and the fact that Nolan was the only coach makes me think that more.

I have to agree. They have some high picks and a depleted linebacking corp (they let Julian Peterson go!?) for a team that is supposed to run a 3-4 defense. They'll get him for probably their 3rd rounder. Just MHO, Ahmad Brooks will be a 49er and maybe we'll get one of those other LBs or players in the supp. draft.

DolphanD said:
I have to agree. They have some high picks and a depleted linebacking corp (they let Julian Peterson go!?) for a team that is supposed to run a 3-4 defense. They'll get him for probably their 3rd rounder. Just MHO, Ahmad Brooks will be a 49er and maybe we'll get one of those other LBs or players in the supp. draft.

Yes, but with his apparent inability to stay away from the fridge (no pun intended), he appears destined to follow in the path of Keith Traylor.
Traylor was a top prospect as a LB because of his size and athletic ability. He never lived up to his draft status as a LB,mostly because he couldn't control his weight.
He evolved (or morphed) into a decent DT.
I see Brooks playing on the D-line at some point in the next 3-5 yrs. As most of us older fans know, it is much more difficult controlling your weight as you get older.:D

bigchub22 said:
I have to bring out the personal trainer in me and I own a gym so pretty sure I know my stuff ...Anywho.....losing that much weight that quickly will easily affect those numbers he definitely lost a little muscle with that "fat" loss there are so many factors to get into but I am telling you for a fact losing that much weight at that pace will affect those numbers....BUT i am NOT saying he will do much better... that I dont know i cant see the future last time i checked anyway
Your absolutely right. This is a horrible situation for this kid, and it's his own fault. He ballooned up to over 290 because of a more sedentary lifestyle. So he lost alot of muscle there. His crash diet made him lose even more, as your body turns on your own nutrient rich muscle tissue before fat for energy in that kind of situation. Even at 260, this kid probably still did not look "trim". And yes, crash diets make your body weak. This kid can make a comeback and get back to form with no questions asked, but not in time for this season.
By the way. Since Saban loves to coach up raw talent, I'd put my money on Dixon in the supplemental.

Back
Top Bottom