How did Ahmad Brooks' workout go? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How did Ahmad Brooks' workout go?

PhinGeneral said:
The fact that it's a supplemental draft shouldn't matter. If there's someone in the draft talented enough to use that pick on, you strongly consider it.

A lot of people have this "save the picks" mentality. The only real basis is that they enjoy the excitement of the draft more when we have more picks. If we draft a guy in the supp., he's a draft pick IMO regardless of what exact date we drafted him.

HysterikiLL said:
A lot of people have this "save the picks" mentality. The only real basis is that they enjoy the excitement of the draft more when we have more picks. If we draft a guy in the supp., he's a draft pick IMO regardless of what exact date we drafted him.
Yeah, I'm still puzzled as to why some people can't grasp this.

Frankly those workout numbers do not impress me at all, with all his off-field problems and those numbers, I would pass or only offer maybe a 4th round pick at best.

In Saban We Trust!

Rich22 said:
Those are not great #'s from his workout at all. Right now he is getting alot of hype but he is no 2nd rder with those #'s. That is slow and the fact he just lost 32 lbs just to get to 260 would scare me alot. He seems like a mid to late rder to me because of potential but he carries alot of risk.

Since when is 4.7 slow for a 260 pounder........and a 4.4 in the shuttle that is flat out fast for a BIG BIG linebacker. The only thing average was his bench......everything else was excellent for a man his size.

Pat Kirwan on NFLTA, said that if you watch the tape he is a 1st but if you take the workout and off field stuff it pushes to a 2nd or 3rd. He thinks a 3rd so i am bringing this up to show that a lot of people think the same as us. That a 2nd or 3rd will be needed to get this guy.

You can bring up Manny but Manny was not talked about as much as Brooks and Manny is not as talented as Brooks.

The bad workout could be a blessing for us if we want to pursue this guy. The workout definitly dropped the pick a round or two. And like others have stated, his 40 was affected by the weight loss. When he regains some of that muscle and strength back, that speed will increase.

When are the other guys workouts? Berryman and Dixon

FinaticPatch said:
Since when is 4.7 slow for a 260 pounder........and a 4.4 in the shuttle that is flat out fast for a BIG BIG linebacker. The only thing average was his bench......everything else was excellent for a man his size.

I think it was slow based on the expectations that everyone had for him. Also, his agent or trainer said he ran a 4.5, so it was slow in comparrison.

GCD960 said:
I think it was slow based on the expectations that everyone had for him. Also, his agent or trainer said he ran a 4.5, so it was slow in comparrison.

http://www.ffmastermind.com/2003/premium/madness/combineresults.html

2003 combine results he would have been the 2nd fastest ILB in the draft and no LB was anywhere near his size. 260 lbs LB's dont run in the 4.7 range very often. People are trying to compare him to a 230-240 pound olb. Apples to Apples people.....find me ILB's at 260 running that fast.

FinaticPatch said:

Agree!
These stats remind me of Levon Kirkland. He turned out to be one hell of a LB. Brooks can play that is for sure.

FinaticPatch said:
Exactly. Not to mention that workout stats can't measure instincts. Being a quarter of a second slower than the average running back doesn't hurt you when you have a nose for the ball like this guy.

That said, the injuries, weight and checkered past are definitely concerns. It wouldn't kill me if we offered a tiny bit higher, but I'm thinking a 4th or 5th rounder.

Here more measurabel.....in this years draft there were 3 lb weighing in at 250+

Schlegel Ohio State 250 ran a 4.81
Roach Alabama 257 ran a 4.92
Parham Virginia 256 ran a 5.03

not too mention the highly drafted Iowa boys Greenway and Hodges weighing 242 and 236 thoose smaller OLB taken in the 1st round I think could even beat Hodges time. Running a 4.75 and 4.76 respectively. So enough with the slow talk cause your way off base. Again if he were in the drafte he would be the biggest ILB and the 2nd or 3 rd fastest depending on which time the kept........pleasse do your reasearch before looking at a number and saying someone is slow.

http://www.draftboardinsider.com/archives/2006/combine/LB.html

awfull numbers indeed!!

plus the guy has injury concerns and character issues.

i just don't see why the fins are even sniffing this
clown!!

i hope we don't sign him, for any round pic! not only
for the horrific numbers and concerns but i don' want
to have to suffer through the endless posts of "nick
will coach him up and he will heal, keep his weight
down and run 4.2 40's, just you wait"........

plese god, let some other team snatch up this goof!!

Redneck Friend said:
awfull numbers indeed!!

plus the guy has injury concerns and character issues.

i just don't see why the fins are even sniffing this
clown!!

i hope we don't sign him, for any round pic! not only
for the horrific numbers and concerns but i don' want
to have to suffer through the endless posts of "nick
will coach him up and he will heal, keep his weight
down and run 4.2 40's, just you wait"........

plese god, let some other team snatch up this goof!!

Jumping to conculsions......read my post above his numbers are actually excellent.

This guy is a monster. Believe me, I know. I played against him back in high school. This guy was the only reason we lost. I kept up with him in college. Hell of a linebacker. All he did was get better. Had he come out for the draft last year he would've been a top 10 pick. Getting him for just a second is flat out bargain.

I think it's great he had poor #'s, deflates some this hype that's been happening around the league on him and possibly lowers the value of what it will take to get him. If we get him for whatever Nick considers to be reasonable, then I'm fine with that. If Nick feels he has talent and is worth a draft pick (regardless of level), then I'll trust the fact that he would have spent that or higher in a regular draft to get him. If he goes too high, then so be it and get one of the other top quality LB's that are available in this supplemental draft. I think there's a plan, but like Nick, he's not saying a word as not to draw too much attention.
:dolphins:

Back
Top Bottom