How do you Design a Defense to Stop the Athletic Quarterbacks? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How do you Design a Defense to Stop the Athletic Quarterbacks?

had this discussion with a friend recently when talking about LJ. You can build a defense to stop him and other mobile QB's. But as soon as the shift swings in that direction defensively then you're going to see offenses slowly migrate back to a wear em down type of game to combat the smaller more athletic defensive players. Someone is going to take the shot when they see teams running pre-dom spread, and everyones depth chart adding 2 cb's and removing to lb's to say "**** it, were going to try to be a power squad" i mean it ALMOST worked for Tenn. The LB's that run 4.4 - 40's now a days that weigh 220 are different than the 4.7's that weighed 250. they might be able to cover, but they dont shed the big nasties quite as easily

We have our own in Baker.

I'd trust him to spy a Mahomes type, but to play the run he's going to lose more times than not even if he is in the right position.

Offense, offense, offense for me if I was building a team. Defense changes yearly. Can always sign a stud whatever on that side

The best way is to compete with an athletic QB:

1. Keep him off the field, and that is done by having a dominating run game.
2. If he's on the field, have penetrating DTs and/or LBs capable of collapsing the pocket from the middle. There is nothing worse for a QB than having defenders in your face when trying to pass. While that is happening, the DEs need to be discipline. by containing the edge, making sure the athletic QB does not get outside.
3. Need press corners who can smother WRs, they only need to do that for a couple seconds because they are counting on the DTs to collapse the pocket quickly, forcing the QB to throw before he's ready.

We have our own in Baker.

I'd trust him to spy a Mahomes type, but to play the run he's going to lose more times than not even if he is in the right position.

Offense, offense, offense for me if I was building a team. Defense changes yearly. Can always sign a stud whatever on that side

some say offense offense offense, others say defense defense defense. how come no one ever nuts up and said "**** yall! special teams! go onside everytime bitches"

some say offense offense offense, others say defense defense defense. how come no one ever nuts up and said "**** yall! special teams! go onside everytime bitches"

There are number of us saying BOTH . . . O and D. Both don't have to be top 5, but neither can be bottom half

i was just trying to be a little humorous and go out of the ordinary and say "Screw it, ima say special teams will solve the problem"

A d, actually, I chuckled at it. Nonetheless, sadly, you're right. Some act like it's either/or

DT pressure can bother elite QBs more than edge rushers. The QB can step up if the edge rush comes. Pressure up the middle is a different deal.

DT pressure can bother elite QBs more than edge rushers. The QB can step up if the edge rush comes. Pressure up the middle is a different deal.
Which is why Aaron Donald is such a problem, but those guys are basically impossible to find so you can't really actively build your team like that unfortunately.

Which is why Aaron Donald is such a problem, but those guys are basically impossible to find so you can't really actively build your team like that unfortunately.

I want them to draft another DT who can pass rush. It would make a sick rotation with Godchaux & Wilkins. Build on a strength and make it great.

I want them to draft another DT who can pass rush. It would make a sick rotation with Godchaux & Wilkins. Build on a strength and make it great.
A big pass rushing DT is basically gone in the top 5 though.

The best way is to compete with an athletic QB:

1. Keep him off the field, and that is done by having a dominating run game.
2. If he's on the field, have penetrating DTs and/or LBs capable of collapsing the pocket from the middle. There is nothing worse for a QB than having defenders in your face when trying to pass. While that is happening, the DEs need to be discipline. by containing the edge, making sure the athletic QB does not get outside.
3. Need press corners who can smother WRs, they only need to do that for a couple seconds because they are counting on the DTs to collapse the pocket quickly, forcing the QB to throw before he's ready.

So to summarize we need a good o-line, a good RB, good DTs, good LBs, solid DEs, and good press DBs?

Back
Top Bottom