How do you Design a Defense to Stop the Athletic Quarterbacks? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How do you Design a Defense to Stop the Athletic Quarterbacks?

Ask Ray Lewis for a dna swab and clone him a few times

49ers defense played kc good for most of games.. if 49ers had more offensive. That games could been different...

I've watched football for a long time and I'm not sure I've seen a better talent at quarterback than Patrick Mahomes.

Love the kid too. If not for Dee Ford lining up offside against NE, he’d already have two SB appearances. And possibly be part of two titles.

That said, I think it’s important not to fall into the trap of recency bias. Mahomes is a great talent for today’s NFL. Which is vastly different than the eras many of us grew up with due to all the rule changes inflating offensive production. In many ways, it’s easier (not ‘easy’) to play QB than it‘s ever been. Might be more complex in terms of calls, communication, and other factors, but easier in many other ways.

Despite the athletic gifts, no chance do I believe he’s a better talent than John Elway or Dan Marino, just to name a few.

Besides trying to find the next Mahomes, what would you do on defense to defend these athletic quarterbacks?

Find a way to add players like Isaiah Simmons. Long limbed, athletic freaks with speed that can do all the things he can do.

Also, a dominant defensive front will always present a tough challenge for any QB.

Unless the athletic QB is consistently a very good passer as is , Mahomes, Wilson so you have both aspects, teams have been up against athletic QB's for a long time with success

49ers defense played kc good for most of games.. if 49ers had more offensive. That games could been different...

Exactly! Mahomes is a phenomenal player. But this was the 49ers game to win if they could continue scoring. KC defense isn't better than the 49ers. But KC Qb is much better at creating than the 49ers Qb.

The first instinct is to try and make him beat you with his arm. I would put a spy on Mahomes the whole game but I'd change it up so he isn't sure who's spying. You've got to blitz him and make him uncomfortable but keep your discipline or he'll just run it. Try to knock balls down. He's not the tallest QB so you can knock some balls down. Stop the run is paramount. If the Chiefs are running on you you're dead. Try to win 1st down so he is behind the sticks and finally jam his receivers to throw their timing off. Beyond that, good luck!!

The first instinct is to try and make him beat you with his arm. I would put a spy on Mahomes the whole game but I'd change it up so he isn't sure who's spying. You've got to blitz him and make him uncomfortable but keep your discipline or he'll just run it. Try to knock balls down. He's not the tallest QB so you can knock some balls down. Stop the run is paramount. If the Chiefs are running on you you're dead. Try to win 1st down so he is behind the sticks and finally jam his receivers to throw their timing off. Beyond that, good luck!!

Problem with that is he has Watkins,Kelce, Hill waiting to get open.. I watched Nick Bosa blowup the Left Tackle most the game but mahomes has Wilson like pocket presence and mobility to buy just enough time to find an open man.

This guy is only going to get better as years go on, I'd say he may end up with all the passing records by the time he retires and likely multiple superbowls.. He may challenge Brady as the Goat imo he is just that good. Hopefully when Hill and Watkins need new contracts he loses some weapons as well. Cause right now he has the fastest receiver group in the NFL. Hands down

4 hog-mollies up front, 5 Derwin James types (LB & S), two man CBs.

Discipline. And if there's really a movement towards mobile QBs in the coming years, expect the average weight of defensive players to drop a decent clip.

Then a team employs Derrick Henry and get's ran over for a couple playoff games.

the first graph is a thing of beauty if you look at it without any consideration into data.

You have a dolphin just swimming up hill from the bottom
An indian walking a ****ing Bengal, how awesome is that?
The Bronco just looks like one of those old school horse heads on a stick you used to ride with cowboys and indians
Raiders just sitting in the same spot like "Hey, names Norm. I dont do ****"
Patriots falling from the sky for their imminent death
Ravens feeling like they're mimic'n the spong bob meme "aight, ima go now" as they want to exit chart
The Viking with the lazer stare thru the tip of the head of the Saints
Bucs flag getting caught in the wind and seemingly blowing away
Cat fight between the Jag and Panther since they came in at same time
A stupid ass eagle flying the wrong way of everyone else and getting ready to get knocked the f out by a ram

Best way to stop an athletic pocket passer is having one of your own to try and keep the score with him.

Defense fluctuates entirely to much for me to try and build it up. Of course you sign and draft defenders, but you can not dedicate your entire plethora of resources to it.

entirely to much for me to try and build it up

had this discussion with a friend recently when talking about LJ. You can build a defense to stop him and other mobile QB's. But as soon as the shift swings in that direction defensively then you're going to see offenses slowly migrate back to a wear em down type of game to combat the smaller more athletic defensive players. Someone is going to take the shot when they see teams running pre-dom spread, and everyones depth chart adding 2 cb's and removing to lb's to say "**** it, were going to try to be a power squad" i mean it ALMOST worked for Tenn. The LB's that run 4.4 - 40's now a days that weigh 220 are different than the 4.7's that weighed 250. they might be able to cover, but they dont shed the big nasties quite as easily

Back
Top Bottom