How Do You Improve Execution?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by AJ Duhe, Oct 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM.

1. AJ Duhe

AJ Duhe FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Much of the team’s problems in year 3 of Gase’s tenure seem to come down to improper execution. I believe some fans and even some coaches believe that NFL players are professionals, so their technique should already be honed early in their careers. Given the increasingly limited practice time coaches have, it’s understandable why they would choose to focus most of that time on the intricacies of the scheme for the week over technique work.

However, this is where I believe Gase needs to talk to Shula. I think the players are largely being put in position to make plays, but they’re not physically executing plays. Small physical errors continue to lead to penalties and also lead to breakdowns. I believe the coaching staff needs to put more emphasis on individual position work and get back to basics. There’s a big difference between getting physically and mentally beaten and failing to execute. I think Gase’s teams continually beat themselves and he’s expressed his frustration, but he hasn’t adequately addressed it.

Spiff and Ray R like this.
  2. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

3. miami365

miami365 Rookie

Think trying to draw the defense offside but having your own lineman false start says it all.

Blake the great likes this.
  4. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan Super Donator Super Donator Donator

I’m not necessarily for this one but... fire the coach. Make the players that feel comfortable, become uncomfortable. Threaten their job security and the execution will improve for a couple games.

kcbrown likes this.
  5. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

Get better players

gofins60 likes this.
  6. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Great Question!

It's a relief to see a thread that analyses the team as opposed to whining about the team. Your analysis concerning limited practice and the players not executing the plays properly makes a lot of sense. I don't know what the answer is, but this is clearly the place to start looking.

AJ Duhe likes this.
  7. dirkey

dirkey FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Question I'd have ... if other teams, the good teams have less of this, isn't it about the coaching? They're all playing / working under the same rules. That's my biggest concern with Gase, I like a lot of what he does, but he doesn't seem to be able to correct the flaws we've seen since day 1.

gofins60 and AJ Duhe like this.
  8. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

You know what John McKay would say to your question had he been coaching this team.

9. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I wouldn't go that far yet. I'd take it in steps.
    step 1; Ross brings in Gase - "Adam, this is you'r third year. I love a lot of what you're doing, but I'm getting old and can't continue to wait for small improvements. Getting this team to start fast and score more points is DIRECTLY on you. I think you can do it, but I need to see evidence before I move on. Do you understand?"
    step 2; Bench a few players ('stars,' if necessary') even for a half, if their poor execution is noticeable and consistent. Don't need to cut people. Don't need to demote them long term. These guys are professionals and have a lot of pride. Just get their attention. The good ones will improve. Those who can't improve? The team has learned something.
    step 3; the hardest one. "Look guys. I've been calling plays since I've been here and our starts are always sluggish. Out points scored isn't acceptable. If I don't improve in those two areas next Sunday, I'm going to let Loggins call plays the following Sunday. I hold myself to the same standards I hold you."
    DO SOMETHING to stimulate change. Just waiting for things to 'gel' isn't a strategy.

BSQ, PASQUALE, AJ Duhe and 2 others like this.
  10. multistage

multistage Well-Known Member

Shula had his 70s guys doing 4-a-days.

In Miami. In August. Which speaks volumes for why they were the toughest team in the league.

And played nearly flawlessly.

Coaches don’t get to do that anymore.

Ray R, John Biello, AJ Duhe and 3 others like this.
  11. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Yee Haw! Finheaven VIP Donator

I think there's a disconnect at some level between what the coaches want the players to do, and what the players think the coaches want them to do.

I don't know if that's because we have dumb/bad players, if the coaches can't teach what they want done, or what. What I do know is that the coaching staff has to give the talent a chance to succeed, and this year we absolutely haven't seen that on a consistent basis.

Ray R, Spiff and AJ Duhe like this.
  12. Mach2

Mach2 Well-Known Member

Better, as far as athletic ability, or intelligence?

13. dolphintodd

dolphintodd FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Draft a leader on offense.

AJ Duhe likes this.
  14. Mach2

Mach2 Well-Known Member

What do you think the age cut off is of fans who get that reference? That was a hilarious comment back in the day. IIRC that was 1978-1979?

John Biello, royalshank and coalesce like this.
  15. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

My concern is, are some of the players being asked to do things they're just not good at? My prime example is Gesicki. The FO/HC saw his tape from college I'm sure. There's only one reason they used a 2nd round pick on him. They could see he could catch the football. There's no way they looked at that tape and said "wow, he can block"
    So why draft a TE with a high 2nd round pick and try to make him a blocker? Yes it's ok they want him to get better at it but you drafted him to be a big target for Tannehill and with Parker missing almost every game, Gesicki is the ONLY big target we have and yet we're not using him.

Sometimes you need to adapt to what your players can do instead of trying to make them do things they're not good at.

djphinfan and AJ Duhe like this.