How Do You Improve Execution? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Do You Improve Execution?

I would venture to guess that we would "execute" if Peyton or Tom or Drew or Aaron were the QB. Just a hunch.

Practice, practice, practice until it's second nature however coaching staff need to put players in favourable situations.

What do you think the age cut off is of fans who get that reference? That was a hilarious comment back in the day. IIRC that was 1978-1979?
It was right around there - I think the age cut off is likely around 40? McKay had some great ones. Another one of my favorites, “we didn’t block well today but we made up for it by not tackling either”.

Get stronger ropes, sharper axes, improve electrical grids and more powerful serums.

I would venture to guess that we would "execute" if Peyton or Tom or Drew or Aaron were the QB. Just a hunch.

I would agree. When Tannehill threw Ballage out of the huddle in training camp, that was the first time we saw Tannehill truly lead this offense, but I think players know leadership when they see it, and too often, Tannehill doesn’t seem to be able to get these guys to respond in a positive and sustained way. Tannehill is a good athlete and probably a good teammate, but he’s not this team’s leader and it’s why I believe he will need to be replaced.

I think there's a disconnect at some level between what the coaches want the players to do, and what the players think the coaches want them to do.

I don't know if that's because we have dumb/bad players, if the coaches can't teach what they want done, or what. What I do know is that the coaching staff has to give the talent a chance to succeed, and this year we absolutely haven't seen that on a consistent basis.
I thought we got smarter by dumping all the dummies and freelancers and malcontents. It’s got to be coaching. Has to be. Or the south Florida lifestyle.

It was right around there - I think the age cut off is likely around 40? McKay had some great ones. Another one of my favorites, “we didn’t block well today but we made up for it by not tackling either”.

That was a great one too....there was also:

"If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't too important."

On place kicker Pete Rajecki having a bad camp with the Bucs because McKay made him nervous: "I don't think he's got much of a future here, because I plan on going to all the games.''

And....one that would definitely get him fired & ostracized in today's PC NFL/snowflake world:

"On Tampa Bay ending its 26-game losing streak: "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs."

How do you improve execution?

Simple, hire competent coaches.

To answer the question in the thread name … use a guillotine?

Much of the team’s problems in year 3 of Gase’s tenure seem to come down to improper execution. I believe some fans and even some coaches believe that NFL players are professionals, so their technique should already be honed early in their careers. Given the increasingly limited practice time coaches have, it’s understandable why they would choose to focus most of that time on the intricacies of the scheme for the week over technique work.

However, this is where I believe Gase needs to talk to Shula. I think the players are largely being put in position to make plays, but they’re not physically executing plays. Small physical errors continue to lead to penalties and also lead to breakdowns. I believe the coaching staff needs to put more emphasis on individual position work and get back to basics. There’s a big difference between getting physically and mentally beaten and failing to execute. I think Gase’s teams continually beat themselves and he’s expressed his frustration, but he hasn’t adequately addressed it.
fWIW...I went to four training camp practices..

I wrote a bunch of notes, to summarize 3 of the practices they did no conditioning, no sprints on the field..

Also, what was weird is that Gase does not put himself in the action, he completely allows his position coaches to run the practice..he was always off to the side, and many folks every day would try to find out where he was..

Not sure how to interpret, I know coaches have different styles, but I thought the practices were easy from a conditioning standpoint, and he was complete hands off as far as being in the action..

Last edited:
My concern is, are some of the players being asked to do things they're just not good at? My prime example is Gesicki. The FO/HC saw his tape from college I'm sure. There's only one reason they used a 2nd round pick on him. They could see he could catch the football. There's no way they looked at that tape and said "wow, he can block"
So why draft a TE with a high 2nd round pick and try to make him a blocker? Yes it's ok they want him to get better at it but you drafted him to be a big target for Tannehill and with Parker missing almost every game, Gesicki is the ONLY big target we have and yet we're not using him.

Sometimes you need to adapt to what your players can do instead of trying to make them do things they're not good at.

Agree, really..what they’re doing with Gesicki after what he did in college I simply can’t understand...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom