How does a talent poor roster acquire this many quality picks. And what does it mean? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How does a talent poor roster acquire this many quality picks. And what does it mean?

I'm at kind of a loss myself. While I think it's great we now have practically half the picks in the 2020 draft, I question what exactly the point is, if we had to give up every good player on our roster to do it. Are we going to try and build the entire team over the next 2 drafts? Generally you want to have at least some talent still on the roster to build upon, by seasons end the only name we might even recognize that could potentially be here next year is Rosen, who we'll likely replace with Tua.

They’re going to be looking for scheme and culture fits, not necessarily stars. That doesn’t always require first rounders, but it does require multiple picks. I don’t think it’s likely that we use all of those picks in their intended slots. For example, I could see us trading away the Pittsburgh first rounder, likely to be higher now that Big Ben is out, to a team looking to draft at QB.

It's about getting the types of players the new staff likes.

The team was littered with players Adam Gase liked and thought would fit HIS system and ideals (Grier and Tannebaum selected players that fit what the former coach had in mind).

Instead of doing a gradual changeover, they are speeding up the process by getting value for some of their more talented players. Players that they might have been able to work with, but that weren't perfect fits for them.

I don't believe Minkah was part of that plan, initially, but his public outcry made him part of the plan. I don't even believe Tunsil was part of the plan either, but during their pursuit of Clowney they discovered a Texans franchise that just simply had to have him and were willing to overpay. Kenny Stills was an already disgruntled player that simply helped facilitate the deal. Win-Win.

While it would have been nice to keep a couple talents like Minkah and Tunsil, the potential return could be much greater.

i think the point is all these players being traded are soft, and/or arent bought in with Flores, and/or etc, they want out, and we're obliging them, getting utmost draft stock we can, and looking to build a team that biys into Flores, is committed to Miami, willing to turn this franchise around by establishing a new culture, rookies with leadership skills, and with veteran leaders willing to hang around too.

basically, weeding them out, suffering now, but with a clear philosophy/culture in mind for the long haul.

They’re going to be looking for scheme and culture fits, not necessarily stars. That doesn’t always require first rounders, but it does require multiple picks. I don’t think it’s likely that we use all of those picks in their intended slots. For example, I could see us trading away the Pittsburgh first rounder, likely to be higher now that Big Ben is out, to a team looking to draft at QB.

i said the same thing in a different post yesterday, how great would it be if Fromm was sitting on the board when pitts pick comes up, hell better yet if once watson gets killed the texans are a high pick too and another of the big qb's is on board. unless there is a talent that we friggin NEED on board that is best at their position you take the trades. i dont want to see us trade down the other picks JUST to get more picks

Are you sure about that? They look like a middle of the road team that may scrape into the playoffs and be out in the wild card round to me. Just like we used to be!
We were doing that before any rebuild. They seem to be doing it after many years of rebuilding. Huge difference. What in the world makes you think our results are going to be anything like theirs?

3 1st round picks right now? We better hire the best scouts possible.

There's still Parker and Drake to be traded. Probably a 3rd, and 5th.

I'm at kind of a loss myself. While I think it's great we now have practically half the picks in the 2020 draft, I question what exactly the point is, if we had to give up every good player on our roster to do it.

Flores and Grier get to point to the 'rebuild' when they are 8-8 in year 4 and no people start to remember that they saw this movie before...parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Back
Top Bottom