How does a talent poor roster acquire this many quality picks. And what does it mean? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How does a talent poor roster acquire this many quality picks. And what does it mean?

Are you sure about that? They look like a middle of the road team that may scrape into the playoffs and be out in the wild card round to me. Just like we used to be!

Are you sure about that? Did you see Myles Garrett last night? The Browns stockpiled picks and now look like real contenders, this is how a tank should be done

I mean has anyone really thought about the fact that we draft all of these players and it takes a few years for them to develop in to anything competitive. By the time this team is finally formed and settled, all of these high draft selections will be coming to contract extensions. That is assuming they all work out in the first place. Even if they do, it will be hard to sign them all and keep what we just built.

We have been set back for YEARS because of shoddy drafting. You must build through the draft and supplement via FA.....and we just got rid of 2 first rounders that actually were good draft pics that we got in positions that we did not expect them to be there. There is a saying that a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush for a reason.

I hope it works out, I really do but right now sucks and common since to me says this process is completely flawed. Just MHO.

I wouldn't mind trading away all the players for picks if I was confident we'd do something decent with those picks. But right now, I'm pretty skeptical because it doesn't seem like we do much with any picks we do have, let alone a glut of 1st, 2nd rounders. We always say, this coaching/gm are different and will do better . . . . . right up to where we fire them and replace them with somebody else we think will be our saviors. While I hope this round of "trust us" works out, I can't blame anyone (including myself) for being skeptical.

Seriously. We loaded up. But it shows how poor the rest of our roster is. Not a lot of teams could pile it up like this.

I am shocked at the value we received for the trades, so I have to give Grier an atta’boy for his trade value. It remains to be seen whether he can maximize that value during the draft. It remain to been seen if the hole he dug is too deep.

You have to be kidding - you have to spend to get stars and we need stars along with a solid team. We have money to burn and picks to do whatever we want to do with. I would take all three of those players and more frankly. Any player that is a good player will demand alot of money, welcome to the NFL. Look at all playoff teams, they ALL have multiple high priced players on their teams, because they are the good players.
AB is an absolute head case. I don't want him anywhere near our franchise that's about to be loaded with impressionable, young players.

Melvin Gordon isn't as good as he thinks he is ... as he and his agent are finding out.

You have to be kidding - you have to spend to get stars and we need stars along with a solid team. We have money to burn and picks to do whatever we want to do with. I would take all three of those players and more frankly. Any player that is a good player will demand alot of money, welcome to the NFL. Look at all playoff teams, they ALL have multiple high priced players on their teams, because they are the good players.
You use your FA money to select good fits - you have a state tax advantage - you play for the long term not short term outcome - like Suh money was terrible and a short term fix

No thanks! I do not want a single one of those players. Talented, but expensive and head cases. That is not where we need to invest.

I agree. Very little has been discussed yet about the Dolphin's massive amount of cap money next year. Regardless, I'm finding it hard to get too excited about it. How often are teams able to acquire young(er), affordable players through free agency, who become key contributors? Only the Patriots seem to be able to do it consistently. Instead, most teams routinely over bid against each other for older players, who are past their prime, and who often break down quickly after they sign with their new team.

I'm on board with the tanking this season, if it nets them Tua (or another QB if they are convinced one is better than Tua). If they get the #1 pick, and Tua turns pro, every other player decision, both in the draft and during free agency, should fall into place.

Are you sure about that? Did you see Myles Garrett last night? The Browns stockpiled picks and now look like real contenders, this is how a tank should be done

They looked half-decent vs a hapless Jets team. Contenders? I'll remind you of this post at the end of the season!

Chris Grier if anything, is a very astute and smooth negotiator. He's proven that, in what he's done trade wise, so far. He's done some incredibly surprising things. No one expected Miami would have Five, 1st round picks over the next 2 seasons. It's quite possible Grier isn't done yet? He could trade down with those additional 1st rounders and add more? Great job!!!

Last edited:
This many draft picks speaks more to what the league thinks of our coaching and talent evaluation skills than anything else. Multiple teams believe we have fantastic players who have been put in crummy positions and can get much better under their tutelage. They think they are robbing us blind because we simply don't know how to manage.

Honestly, it's a pretty fair evaluation of the way our team is run...which is also why it's so crucial this team reboots the **** out of this franchise. I kinda love that we are setting ourselves up to be an expansion team because this slate needed to be wiped totally clean. Even our good players have baggage from being here.

While I share many of your sentiments about the fear of Grier picking the replacements, at least we know replacements that COULD work out are on the way. The only thing this team has consistently given me since I've been a fan, like an abusive boyfriend, is hope that things one day could get better even though they suck right now. They picked the right draft to reboot it all.

All that free agency money will mean little in the long term. Seems like most free agents are 2 to 3 year rentals. By the time we are even close to competing these new free agents will be heading to new teams. Wash rinse repeat.

I mean has anyone really thought about the fact that we draft all of these players and it takes a few years for them to develop in to anything competitive. By the time this team is finally formed and settled, all of these high draft selections will be coming to contract extensions. That is assuming they all work out in the first place. Even if they do, it will be hard to sign them all and keep what we just built.

We have been set back for YEARS because of shoddy drafting. You must build through the draft and supplement via FA.....and we just got rid of 2 first rounders that actually were good draft pics that we got in positions that we did not expect them to be there. There is a saying that a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush for a reason.

I hope it works out, I really do but right now sucks and common since to me says this process is completely flawed. Just MHO.

If they draft well and everyone is coming up for an extension they either go all in like the Browns and Rams or play the long game like the Pats. The long game is selecting the few exceptional talents and either trading the others or letting them go for compensatory picks. The short game is pay everyone and give yourself a 2 or 3 year window to contend. Either option is so much better than whatever the Phins have been doing the last couple decades.

As I'm sure many have pointed out the Dolphins haven't drafted that much worse or better than anyone else. Every team seems to have a couple seasons where they're able to string together some stellar drafts but when you start looking over 10+ years it all evens out. What the Patriots have figured out is the formula to accumulate picks so they can afford to miss.

Back
Top Bottom