How does a talent poor roster acquire this many quality picks. And what does it mean? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How does a talent poor roster acquire this many quality picks. And what does it mean?

Much how Tunsil fell into our laps, so did the trade that Grier called "historical" today. Minkah's trade was not planned, either. Without jumping on these two opportunities that presented themselves as the season started, we aren't picking up 3 first rounders and a 2nd.

They have to replace these talented players, but the picks are assets that can either be used, traded for players, or doubled down if/when other opportunities arise. Cleveland had three first rounders (Garrett, Njoku, Peppers) and Peppers ended up playing a role in the OBJ trade. If the Dolphins take a QB #1 overall, a top 5 rated stud, and then trade the third first for a high ceiling player or stockpiling future picks, who is still complaining about Minkah (who really only helped us in the slot)?

At the rate that players are demanding money & better situations now, Miami could possibly use this to their favor in the rebuild. I think it could prove to be a winning strategy if Miami can stay "ready to pounce" on a great opportunity in the 2020 and 2021 seasons, aka having balls, picks, and money available. It seems as though these opportunities have been presenting themselves at a faster rate and there are no indications it will slow down soon.

Just secure #1 and all else will fall into place. Tunsil and Minkah are replaceable, as Grier said this morning, "we can do anything we want".

Last edited:
The Browns are a good team with a good QB, that's exactly what we should strive to be

The Browns were a 7 win team with a QB that isn't good. His NFL career stats versus winning teams: 1-5, 59.5% completion rate, 10 TDs, 11 int and a 77 passer rating. Thus far this season, against teams that are collectively 1-3: 1-1, 60.3 completion rate 2 TDs, 4 ints and a 73 passer rater. He struggled against an injury ravaged Jets defense last night! Troubling to hear Dolfans with the NFL fan equivalent of PTSD look to the Browns as a model to strive for. It is soul-crushing.

We do have some great picks, but don't forget we have a lot of Money to fill some holes, like Cleveland did with Odell and Landry. We could go out there and sign whoever we don't draft.

I mean has anyone really thought about the fact that we draft all of these players and it takes a few years for them to develop in to anything competitive. By the time this team is finally formed and settled, all of these high draft selections will be coming to contract extensions. That is assuming they all work out in the first place. Even if they do, it will be hard to sign them all and keep what we just built.

We have been set back for YEARS because of shoddy drafting. You must build through the draft and supplement via FA.....and we just got rid of 2 first rounders that actually were good draft pics that we got in positions that we did not expect them to be there. There is a saying that a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush for a reason.

I hope it works out, I really do but right now sucks and common since to me says this process is completely flawed. Just MHO.
I think the point is they have tried the approach of using a bucket to try and keep the boat from sinking from all the leaks. They've decided they are going to bring the boat in and have major work done to fix the hull to fully stop those leaks. Is the boat fixable? Do they have the right ppl fixing the hull? Only time will tell.

Are you sure about that? Did you see Myles Garrett last night? The Browns stockpiled picks and now look like real contenders, this is how a tank should be done

Contenders? What team are you watching? They will get their asses beat the next 2 weeks against the Rams and Ravens. I saw Myles Garrett abuse a 2d string QB, a 3d string QB signed off the street less than a week before and an OL that rivals the Dolphins' line in ineptitude. The Jets center was signed out of retirement. The tackle that was repeatedly beat by Garrett, Kelvin Beachum has been on 3 teams in 3 years and was paid $27 mil. in free agency, the exact caliber of player we're going to overpay.

The Browns were a 7 win team with a QB that isn't good. His NFL career stats versus winning teams: 1-5, 59.5% completion rate, 10 TDs, 11 int and a 77 passer rating. Thus far this season, against teams that are collectively 1-3: 1-1, 60.3 completion rate 2 TDs, 4 ints and a 73 passer rater. He struggled against an injury ravaged Jets defense last night! Troubling to hear Dolfans with the NFL fan equivalent of PTSD look to the Browns as a model to strive for. It is soul-crushing.

I don't think it would be hard to outdo the Browns with a more conservative approach, given the Dolphins have the #1 pick in 2020.

Baker can be great and I love his toughness, but he has a long way to go. Gregg Williams had him so confused last night, it was a bit shocking to me. I don't see how every team doesn't disguise man/zone looks against Baker going forward. He gets flustered.

There was one play where the Jets were showing man pre snap and Jarvis alerts Baker to it, Baker changes the play and the Jets move to Zone, wrap up OBJ in the backfield. Both Jarvis and Baker were off.

I bet he would not score a single touchdown in a playoff game against the Patriots.

We will become the Browns 2.0. Lot's of first rounders, some big name FA's but ultimately not a team to challenge the top. I find this whole process absolutely desperate.

The difference between us and the Browns is that we won't keep deferring drafting a quarterback, and there's a good chance we get the best one to come of the draft in the past ten years. I imagine we will also avoid using a first round pick on anything but a very special running back.

Desperate would be sticking with Ryan Tannehill and signing free agents on the wrong side of 30.

You can't build a team from the bottom up with just the draft anymore. We'll have way over $100mill and we're going to be players in free agency.

How do you know we were chasing Clowney? It looks a lot lot more like they were after Tunsil and were trying to offload Clowney instead of another first round pick or maybe a third rd pick But Clowney kaboshed that plan after meeting with Flores, so Houston pulled the trigger on 2 1sts and a 3rd

Good point. I don’t really know. It’s just the impression I got from following the online stories and message board posts leading up to the eventual trade. But perhaps I interpreted incorrectly.

Regardless, the Dolphins still came across a franchise that wanted Tunsil badly enough to overpay. Otherwise I don’t believe they ever proactively intended to trade him.

We will become the Browns 2.0. Lot's of first rounders, some big name FA's but ultimately not a team to challenge the top. I find this whole process absolutely desperate.

The Browns just became “good” this year.

Give it some time, the Browns at minimum have some really good players and are fun to watch.

But go one and complain about becoming something you know nothing about, as if the last 10 years of dolphins football hasn’t been the definition of ineptitude.

GM Dorsey of Cleveland actually knows what he is doing. And so I find your outside bias, neither informative nor enlightening. Its emotional on several levels. So I will go with the guy in CLE who has a history of drafting and acquiring high end talent.

And as a fellow Phin fan, 20 years of mediocrity was soul crushing.

GM Dorsey of Cleveland actually knows what he is doing. And so I find your outside bias, neither informative nor enlightening. Its emotional on several levels. So I will go with the guy in CLE who has a history of drafting and acquiring high end talent.

And as a fellow Phin fan, 20 years of mediocrity was soul crushing.

Emotional? I just laid out the facts. They have not had a winning record since Dorsey arrived. Statistically they are not good on offense or defense, nor were they good last year. Baker Mayfield hasn't been good against a single winning opponent in his NFL career and he hasn't been good this year. Dorsey mind you, was chased out of KC, that's how invaluable they viewed him to be. If anyone's opinions are suspect, it's those who built the Browns up as a successful remediation story absent all the red flags.

Emotional? I just laid out the facts. They have not had a winning record since Dorsey arrived. Statistically they are not good on offense or defense, nor were they good last year. Baker Mayfield hasn't been good against a single winning opponent in his NFL career and he hasn't been good this year. Dorsey mind you, was chased out of KC, that's how invaluable they viewed him to be. If anyone's opinions are suspect, it's those who built the Browns up as a successful remediation story absent all the red flags.

Chased out after loading that team with players that have zero issues scoring.

Dont for one second think those fans did not understand it was a choice between Reid and Dorsey. And he did not leave in shame nor did he leave behind a decimated talentless team. Dorsey was brought in to Cleveland and was also saddled with a HC who wasnt his. So yeah, let's not put that on the GM his 1st year with the franchise. But again, he didn't leave behind a team in KC devoid a HC or talent on the field.

Mayfield also is just getting ready to play his 16th start. My money will remain on his abilities as opposed to your opinion.

Chased out after loading that team with players that have zero issues scoring.

Dont for one second think those fans did not understand it was a choice between Reid and Dorsey. And he did not leave in shame nor did he leave behind a decimated talentless team. Dorsey was brought in to Cleveland and was also saddled with a HC who wasnt his. So yeah, let's not put that on the GM his 1st year with the franchise. But again, he didn't leave behind a team in KC devoid a HC or talent on the field.

Mayfield also is just getting ready to play his 16th start. My money will remain on his abilities as opposed to your opinion.

You keep making assertions about my opinions. It's not an opinion, it's an empirical fact. What you have is an opinion grounded in absolutely nothing but media hype. The Browns are not good. Mayfield is not good. Did you watch him last night? He.struggled against the fu$#ing Jets' defense that didn't even have Mosley, Avery or Q Will in the lineup!

Dorsey's rep in KC was made with Ty Hill and Kareem Hunt. Defense was a mess when he left. He can't draft OL and while he gets no blame for Hue Jackson, he sure does for Freddie Kitchens.

Back
Top Bottom