How does a talent poor roster acquire this many quality picks. And what does it mean? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How does a talent poor roster acquire this many quality picks. And what does it mean?

We should hire Dorsey then end of this season. He would LOVE to have the draft capital we have even more than what he inherited at the Browns.

You keep making assertions about my opinions. It's not an opinion, it's an empirical fact. What you have is an opinion grounded in absolutely nothing but media hype. The Browns are not good. Mayfield is not good. Did you watch him last night? He.struggled against the fu$#ing Jets' defense that didn't even have Mosley, Avery or Q Will in the lineup!

Dorsey's rep in KC was made with Ty Hill and Kareem Hunt. Defense was a mess when he left. He can't draft OL and while he gets no blame for Hue Jackson, he sure does for Freddie Kitchens.

Sorry, been busy with work and took familia up to KCMO for the Ravens game.

Please understand his WHOLE tenure in KC. So many other pieces like Kelce and his hiring AFTER Andy Reid was hired are just a few other things.

Your issues with Mayfield, cloud Dorseys actual track record. I would have loved his arrival in Davie.

3 1st round picks right now? We better hire the best scouts possible.

There's still Parker and Drake to be traded. Probably a 3rd, and 5th.
The Scouting department is the one that scares me that whole department needs to be replaced

Are you sure about that? They look like a middle of the road team that may scrape into the playoffs and be out in the wild card round to me. Just like we used to be!

Good lord the rebuild has barely started. They haven’t even started on the OL and that’s obviously the problem. But it kind of proves my point about the OL, especially the interior OL, needs to be a priority in today’s NFL. I see all these tweets and podcasters dreaming of drafting our own version of the triplets. Tua, Judy, Taylor. I’ve got no problem picking the QB but screw the skill positions until our OL and DL our dominant.

We will become the Browns 2.0. Lot's of first rounders, some big name FA's but ultimately not a team to challenge the top. I find this whole process absolutely desperate.

That's a lazy statement. We will be become the Browns because we have multiple first round draft picks?

We are desperate though, desperate for a winner. We have a front office that literally doesn't care what anyone thinks. That's more ballsy, than desperate.

As if Brian Flores is going to trade a 1st round pick for Odell Beckham (or any WR).

Heck, if even Adam Gase was smart enough to not pay Jarvis Landry $14 Million a year. I am supposed to worry that Flores will?

Over 2 years, the Browns evaluated Goff, Wentz, Mahomes and Watson and passed on all 4 but decided Baker Mayfield was worth the No.1 pick in the draft. I'm not worried about emulating that.

"Lot's of first rounders" he says, as if it's a bad thing.

Weak.

We were doing that before any rebuild. They seem to be doing it after many years of rebuilding. Huge difference. What in the world makes you think our results are going to be anything like theirs?
What makes you think our results won't be?

What makes anybody think Grier will do well enough in the draft to change the Dolphins fortunes? He put this roster together and it's not even competitive. It's like a semi-pro football team playing against real professional players on Sunday. Do you think the rash of injuries on the O-line are bad luck or just guys trying to overcompensate for their lack of talent and end up getting injured? Do you think any of these players are developing given they're so overmatched and have no veteran leadership to learn from?

Even if Grier hits on most of these picks we may end up at 8-8, right where we started. I'm not convinced this plan moves the needle at all.

The Browns are an ascending team. They have a dynamic, exciting QB, they're building around him and they are on their way up. They have a bunch a big time pieces on offense that will get better and better. This is almost exactly what we need to do. In the draft we snag Tua. Tua and Rosen battle it out for the starting position with a high quality back up waiting in the wings. The Browns went for some crazy FA contracts. This is where we should differ from Cleveland. Let be SMART in FA and bring in bargain players who are healthy and under 30. No me players, only team players and certainly no prima donnas. The Patriots have success with the guys like Moss and Gordon but AB blew up in their faces. I say stay far away from these high talent, high problem players if I'm Miami. Build with intelligent, high character guys and you'll never be embarrassed.

It means absolutely nothing unless you make the right picks. Also, you've got to have the right coaching staff and that's a serious question right now.

But, Miami is in a good position especially if the team finally lands a franchise quarterback. Besides BPA, the Dolphins have to prioritize the most crucial positions....quarterback, pass rusher, corner, blindside protector (right tackle if Tua is drafted). If the team can accomplish that in one draft, the rebuild will be off to a fantastic start.

The Browns are an ascending team. They have a dynamic, exciting QB, they're building around him and they are on their way up. They have a bunch a big time pieces on offense that will get better and better. This is almost exactly what we need to do. In the draft we snag Tua. Tua and Rosen battle it out for the starting position with a high quality back up waiting in the wings. The Browns went for some crazy FA contracts. This is where we should differ from Cleveland. Let be SMART in FA and bring in bargain players who are healthy and under 30. No me players, only team players and certainly no prima donnas. The Patriots have success with the guys like Moss and Gordon but AB blew up in their faces. I say stay far away from these high talent, high problem players if I'm Miami. Build with intelligent, high character guys and you'll never be embarrassed.
Mostly agree. Free agency is not where I'd usually like the team to spend big. However, Miami has a unique opportunity. They can spend big in free agency without affecting contracts of young players from the 2019, 2020 and 2021 drafts. By the time those players need to be paid (hopefully enough good players to pay), those free agent contracts will be up.

Usually, free agency doesn't present much more than vets with a year or two left or young players with talent who haven't produced yet. It's tough, but this would be the offseason to get those outliers. If Miami can land two legitimate starters on the offensive line, as an example, that would be huge. It would mean Miami could really concentrate on the most critical positions in the draft, those positions that rarely make it to free agency if the player is really good.

It's about getting the types of players the new staff likes.

The team was littered with players Adam Gase liked and thought would fit HIS system and ideals (Grier and Tannebaum selected players that fit what the former coach had in mind).

Instead of doing a gradual changeover, they are speeding up the process by getting value for some of their more talented players. Players that they might have been able to work with, but that weren't perfect fits for them.

I don't believe Minkah was part of that plan, initially, but his public outcry made him part of the plan. I don't even believe Tunsil was part of the plan either, but during their pursuit of Clowney they discovered a Texans franchise that just simply had to have him and were willing to overpay. Kenny Stills was an already disgruntled player that simply helped facilitate the deal. Win-Win.

While it would have been nice to keep a couple talents like Minkah and Tunsil, the potential return could be much greater.
Spot on. Exactly why Miami did what it did. They'll find the right players by moving around the draft board. It's possible by the 2021 Miami is fighting for playoff contention? Maybe sooner if the sign they right F/A in 2020. If Miami is able to sign 2-3 quality, starting caliber F/A and is able to draft 5 - 6 starters over the next 2 drafts, Miami could be back in business.

Last edited:
We acquired early picks with non all star players by taking advantage of other teams circumstances, our former players may become all stars but the amount we received for them was BOSS...

There is no juice without a squeeze and every most stakeholder are squirmIng at what the Dolphins have pulled off since March...

The FO will deliver Tua and spend the cap that is just sitting there to ensure Tua success

Because if this fails .... well you already kno what failure feels like if you have been a fan the last 20 years

What makes you think our results won't be?

What makes anybody think Grier will do well enough in the draft to change the Dolphins fortunes? He put this roster together and it's not even competitive. It's like a semi-pro football team playing against real professional players on Sunday. Do you think the rash of injuries on the O-line are bad luck or just guys trying to overcompensate for their lack of talent and end up getting injured? Do you think any of these players are developing given they're so overmatched and have no veteran leadership to learn from?

Even if Grier hits on most of these picks we may end up at 8-8, right where we started. I'm not convinced this plan moves the needle at all.
I don't, but to think our results are going to mirror another organization's (with no evidence to support that line of thought) seems far less likely than an outcome nobody can predict.

Every situation is different and unique. Just because the Browns have sucked for years, accumulated high picks, and are now the darlings of the universe yet accomplishing nothing (to date), seems to have very little to do with our potential trajectory.

I can understand how some feel. The Dolphins haven't done anything in the recent past to make us feel they will be successful in this rebuild. We aren't seeing any smart coaching to buy into.

What we have seen is that they have gotten rid of most of the bad contracts. They have managed to get something for players many here considered untradeable. For the few good players they have gotten far more than was reasonable.

At almost every level the decision makers have surrounded themselves with good talent. This says something about them understanding they need all the quality help they can get to rebuild this team and develop the young players. Refreshing that their egos haven't gotten in the way of acknowledging these facts.

Some draft picks have lower bust rate and/or can start as rookies. Some positions one has to draft very high to get elite talent. You don't need elite talent on your OL but you do need five good players that can function as a unit. Given what we have in draft picks and FA money it doesn't seem hard to get a top rated QB and five new offensive linemen. If that takes our 3 first round picks and 30 million a year so be it. Depending on where Steelers finish we could do it and net an extra 2nd this year. That leaves a lot of draft capitol to work with. We will have a lot of it next year too.

It isn't hard to think we will be a very different time in a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom