How good is Sewell? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Sewell?

macd123

Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2020
Messages
305
Reaction score
306
Age
46
Location
Fla
Looks ideal if we're moving to a zone blocking scheme, and a good prospect even if we don't. But is he a can't miss, once in a generation prospect?

He needs development in pass pro. His footwork does get lazy in space and he can end up too upright. But I wonder how many of his technical deficiencies are because he didn't really have to be that good technically - he could still recover given his athleticism. His traits do look incredible.

There's a value issue which has been done to death on this board. (ie is he better than Devonta Smith with an extra pick from a trade down? And does he give you that much more than Slater, Darrisaw, Radunz or Jenkins?).

But I'm interested in more from an evaluation point of view not value, from those that have watched more than the highlights. I've watched all his snaps vs USC, Stanford and Auburn in 2019 so by no means comprehensive. Incidentally I saw 2 sacks - one vs Stanford, one vs USCs Tufele - so I couldn't tally that with the zero sacks allowed stat. But are you seeing a generational prospect? Or elite? Or merely very good (like Wills and Wirfs) ?
 

macd123

Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2020
Messages
305
Reaction score
306
Age
46
Location
Fla
Another Sewell thread SMH..


Not good enough to use the #3 pick on.

He took a year off.

We drafted or signed 5 linemen last year.

The value of trading the pick far outweighs drafting a linemen.

Sewell at #3 is a mistake.

I was hoping to avoid those arguments. I'm more interested in what people have seen on tape, not value or draft tactics.
 

MrChadRico

Active Roster
Joined
Aug 18, 2018
Messages
869
Reaction score
1,284
Age
36
Location
Kansas
I was hoping to avoid those arguments. I'm more interested in what people have seen on tape, not value or draft tactics.
I've seen his tape.... hes a very athletic linemen. Hes very impressive as a run blocker and solid in pass pro.

Had we not used so many picks on the line last year i would defenetly be more interested. But you can't give up on Hunt or Kindley or Jackson this soon. We also paid Flowers alot to be a starter in this offense. Taking Sewell is redundant. Its in the same line of thinking as taking Fields or Wilson. We just took two tackles last draft; just like we took a QB in the last draft.

Gotta give these guys more than a year.

If we stay at #3, it means we're sticking with Tua, which likley means Smith is the pick.

I'd say there is a 50% chance we trade down.... a 15% chance we trade the pick for Watson. So that leaves a 35% chance we stay at #3. Of that 35% chance we stay at #3, I give it a 10% chance we admit our mistake on last year's offensive linemen selections and take Sewell. So 10% of 35 is 3.5, according to my wildly ridiculous football math, we have a 3.5% chance of landing Sewell.


Lol this is prob the most ridiculous post I've ever made, ill just admit it in advance.
 

NBP81

Yippi ka yay mother******!
Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2008
Messages
11,810
Reaction score
15,386
Location
Montreal
Another Sewell thread SMH..


Not good enough to use the #3 pick on.

He took a year off.

We drafted or signed 5 linemen last year.

The value of trading the pick far outweighs drafting a linemen.

Sewell at #3 is a mistake.
Did you just smh at another Sewell thread? Really? LMAO!
 

Danny

Finheaven VIP
Moderator
Super Donator
Club Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2003
Messages
38,507
Reaction score
53,786
Location
Kissimmee,FL
Sewell is very good. Is he a "generational" player? I'm done with that word. It gets thrown around way too easy these days. I'm not sure he's better than Slater but I'm not the draft guru here. I wish I had seen him played more but of course he opted out this past year. Also, I don't believe he had to face any first round talent when he did play in a regular basis if at all while playing for Oregon so it's hard to project him to the competition he'll face in the NFL.
 

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
12,946
Reaction score
7,347
From what I've seen, I think he's a better prospect than Laremy Tunsil and Jake Long. He kind of combines the best of those two.

Sounds like he has the right attitude to play on the offensive line as well.

Absolutely worth the #3 pick IMO, but certainly debatable that Miami could get more by trading down. I still think that's what happens.
 
Top Bottom