How many losing seasons have we had in the past 20 years? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How many losing seasons have we had in the past 20 years?

Originally posted by justafan
Have we had success since becoming 3-13? In a way yes. We had success impproving our team from 3-13 to 8-8 but the goal is the sb.

It's kind of hard NOT to improve on a 3-13 season, unless you pull a 2002 Bengals or 2000 Chargers. You guys improved your record, but it still wasn't a winning season.

Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
How could a Bills fan even argue success between the two teams?

I don't exactly "accept" mediocre, but atleast every year is an exciting year as a Phin fan...compared to a Bill.

It sucks when you seem to make the play offs QUITE often and fall short, but I suppose it's better then seeing your own team hardly having a winning record or hoping to break .500 every year..:lol:

We were rebuilding. Because of cap hell, we let our greatest players go and you guys even hired one of them, Thomas. We couldn't keep our players because of salary problems. Because of it, we sucked. There's no arguing that.

You have been mediocre for 20 years? What's your excuse.

Originally posted by Gonk

It's kind of hard NOT to improve on a 3-13 season, unless you pull a 2002 Bengals or 2000 Chargers. You guys improved your record, but it still wasn't a winning season.

Did I say we had a winning season? Cmon keep up.

So Justafan by your reasoning there is only 1 team that can have a successful season per year. That being the team that wins the Superbowl. For me I believe that a succesful season is making the playoffs and having a chance to go to the Superbowl so by my defination Miami and Buffalo both had unsuccessful seasons last year, but like I said that is only my belief

Originally posted by BeatCrazy2
Just face it , the bills will get last place in the division again you know it. There is no chance they will beat Miami again this year. I can't wait to see moulds on his back with spit dripping from his face. You just better pray that Bledsoe Shmedsoe can make it through the season .

What's the winning lotto nos. and where will Saddam be tomorrow morning? Seems like you can predict the future. Well?

Originally posted by HofCityFan
So Justafan by your reasoning there is only 1 team that can have a successful season per year. That being the team that wins the Superbowl. For me I believe that a succesful season is making the playoffs and having a chance to go to the Superbowl so by my defination Miami and Buffalo both had unsuccessful seasons last year, but like I said that is only my belief

Success comes in different forms. I simply stated that if you think success is based on consitently "just" making the playoffs, congratulations, the fins are successful. It's great that you make it every year if that's what you guys are satisfied with .

The only reason why I made my comment because some people mentioned the bills.

In the last 20 years the bills were a greater team than the fins at a certain point and they were a worse team at some point. You guys were always in the middle of everone in the AFCE. In the last 20 years, the bills, jets and pats took turns going to the sb. The fins didn't.

Justafan, I may be wrong but when did the Jets go to the SB in the last 20 years, I remember Buff and NE but I don't remember the Jets.

I agree with you it all depends on how you look at thing to wether you think its been a succesfull year or not.

I've always been one of those that like to be consistant (sp?) because the more chances you make the playoffs the more chances you have to win the SB

So then what you are saying JAF is that the Bengals, Chargers, Ravens, Titans, Bucs, Falcons, Bears, ETC ETC have been more successful then the Fins? I'm not following that logic.

Originally posted by justafan

:lol: That's great, bring up the 2 SB wins to come up with a counter for the past 20 years w/c this thread was all about. :rolleyes:

Most other teams are trying to play catch up? There were 2 teams ahead of you in the AFCE. So who's catching who again?

Fans talking SB, there a few finfans here who say the same. What's the difference?

As far as you expecting the fins to go 5-1 , I bet most finfans were expecting that last year as well.

BTW I didn't say the dolphins suck, you did. :D

The Dolphins average 10-6 over the last 20 years. I don't think that qualifies as average.

I said most teams in the AFC (not the AFCE) are playing catchup and that is true. A 9-7 record puts us ahead of most teams in the AFC and tied with two in the AFCE (not the Bills of course).

Whats the difference? The Bills in the SB is a joke!:lol: The Dolphins in the SB is a better bet than most in the AFC.

Most finfans did expect 5-1 last year and they were right. What's your point?

the dolphins were in the super bowl in january of 1983 and january of 1985. i'll give you the 1983 thing since it's may and it's technically the 21st year since 1983, but please, at least do the math right. or is this 2004?

Last edited by a moderator:
One other point about the Dolphins for the last 20 years.

They won the division 8 times during that span. During the 19 year period when there were 5 teams in the division, the remaining 4 teams won the division 11 times combined. That averages less than 3 each.

Now explain the mediocre part?

Fact is that winning consistently in the NFL is hard and NO TEAM has won more than the Dolphins over any reasonably long stretch.

As far as what a team has done the Bills haven't been there in 10 years, how far does history go back, I guess only as far back as you need it to prove your point. Either go back to day 1 or don't go back at all. Last year is in the past as much as 10, 20 & 30 years ago.

I would love to see the Fins in the SB but only 2 teams get to make it each year, so if they can't make it I am happy at to have a reason to be rooting right up through game 16, and always get to expierance the excitement of having a shot at the SB.

A good majority of the teams in the league don't have that, their season is pretty much over come mid season. Would I give that up for a SB win? I have asked that question of myself many times, and I don't have an answer, The SB would be great but we as Fin fans don't know what it's like to have a 3-13 season. I don't know how it would feel to be watching a Fins game after week 7 and already know they don't have a shot at the playoffs.

Really I couldn't imagine not having my stomach in knots, sweating, and yealling at the TV as the Fins are driving down the field with no time left, or as the other team is going for it on 4th down inside the 5 on the final series, and guess what many of those games I am describing came against the Bills.

So while not winning a SB in the last 30 years is dissappointing, I love being a fan of a team that always puts a winning product on the field and has a legitimate shot to go all the way each and every year. To me that's what being a fan is about.

Last edited by a moderator:
ha, i had to edit my own math... tricky. right now i, along with HOF city fan and marinofan, am scouring the web for mention of that jets superbowl appearance since superbowl 3.

THE LAST 2O YEARS HAS NOT BEEN MEDIOCRE...YOUVE MADE SOME GOOD POINTS JAF BUT TO CALL THE PHINS LAST 20 YEARS MEDIOCRE IS UNJUST JUST LIKE CALLIN 4 STRAIGHT SUPER BOWLS MEDIOCRE JUST BECUASE U NEVER WON IS UNJUST....u did say taht every team in the AFCE is un the rise but i just dont see how the jets could be any better this year than last year...am i the only one?

Back
Top Bottom