How many Remember | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How many Remember

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
I was just watching the NFL network and I was thinking, how many of you remember when there was no Fin news until the season started, there was no preseason games on TV and hardly any writeups in the paper.

The first time I would get any Fins info is when the season started, and then if I was lucky I would see 3-4 games a season.

Now we have the internet for any newspaper info, the NFL network with news 365 days a year, the Sunday Ticket so we can watch all 16 games of our favorite team. I have not missed a Fins game in almost 10 years now.

It's just amazing to me the popularity of the NFL now compared to 20 years ago.

I know you younger fans probably are saying huh what the hell are you taking about :lol:

Yup. Remember those days well. We had to get our Phin news by stick signals.

No, seriously, I remember all there being on the draft would be some little blurb in small print, like box scores, with nothing more than a listing of names, positions and schools. I'd have to wait until one of the summer preview magazines came out to learn anything about the picks.

I was taken aback one time a couple years ago realizing that I was reading a training camp report on Curt Fennel's E-mail list written by a person who had been there only a few hours previously and remembering those days when we never knew anything other than the games and the pre-game network sports shows.

Agua said:
Yup. Remember those days well. We had to get our Phin news by stick signals.

No, seriously, I remember all there being on the draft would be some little blurb in small print, like box scores, with nothing more than a listing of names, positions and schools. I'd have to wait until one of the summer preview magazines came out to learn anything about the picks.

I was taken aback one time a couple years ago realizing that I was reading a training camp report on Curt Fennel's E-mail list written by a person who had been there only a few hours previously and remembering those days when we never knew anything other than the games and the pre-game network sports shows.

Yea that was one of the first sites I found when I first got on the net, I remember first siging up for AOL with 5 free hours, I think I used them up in my first night reading about the Fins.

I used up my hours so fast I signed up for prodigy so I could have 5 more free hours. :lol:

I remember back in the early 80's when I couldn't wait to get the herald in the morning just to read one article....lol On sunday's and monday's during the season there was more to read tho. But now I read about the team everyday and get to discuss the team with all the guys here and I love it. It makes the offseason easier to take cos we're talking football everyday here.

Ozzy rules!!

Yeah I hated those days. I lived in NY when I was growing up, so if I was lucky I saw 6-7 games a year. The other days I would hope the news would give the phins some good air time, and I would buy the USA Today first thing monday morning, and I think it was thursday that would have the complete season stats. In the offseason I would despertly wait for the few preseason mags that would come out in August. I remember the first draft I ever got to see was the year we took Randal Hill in the first round. I am pretty sure the first round was the only round ESPN showed.

At the same time I think we are overloaded with Dolphin news now. I don't think I have been surprised in 4-5 years in the offseason.

Dajesus said:
Yeah I hated those days. I lived in NY when I was growing up, so if I was lucky I saw 6-7 games a year. The other days I would hope the news would give the phins some good air time, and I would buy the USA Today first thing monday morning, and I think it was thursday that would have the complete season stats. In the offseason I would despertly wait for the few preseason mags that would come out in August. I remember the first draft I ever got to see was the year we took Randal Hill in the first round. I am pretty sure the first round was the only round ESPN showed.

At the same time I think we are overloaded with Dolphin news now. I don't think I have been surprised in 4-5 years in the offseason.

spent most of the '80's in upstate NY and north central PA. all i remember about those days was seeing all kinds of eagles and bill's info. you were lucky if you got to see a game during the season. most memerble article i read was how thurman thomas was so upset after a game in JRS because the fans in the end zone were shouting at him after he scored a TD. he stated the fans in FLA were just horrible. this after the infamous cox bowls in the ralph. batteries and racial epithets flying and being answered with the 'ole 1 finger salute...poor thurman. :lol:

aaaahh yes the good 'ole days.....

PhinPhreak said:
I was just watching the NFL network and I was thinking, how many of you remember when there was no Fin news until the season started, there was no preseason games on TV and hardly any writeups in the paper.

:eek: I didn't realize this was a nightmare thread.

Reading the preview you reminded me of a thought I've had...

With 24/7 worth of programming, I wonder if the NFL Network will be showing some replays of the preseason games?

I answered my own question. See new thread! :lol:

I remember having to rummage through the "transactions" column in the sports section of the newspaper (in tiny, tiny print), to see if my beloved Dolphins had made a move. It had transactions from all the Pro and college teams.

What a hungry kid would do for a little football information.

Did people even go to preseason games then, I know there were only a few on TV, the HOF fame and maybe one other one. There just wasn't much interest in Preseason back then.

Growing up in VA, I liked football and liked the phins... but I only ever got to watch maybe 1 or two games a year. My best friend was a Chiefs fan, and we'd always watch the Fins Chiefs games together (still my favorite non divisional rivalry). I was lucky that the Phins always seemed to beat the Chiefs... used to drive my buddy nuts. We'd play Temco Superbowl III obsessivley (I once stayed up 3 days straight playing) trying to put together the perfect team. We also would look in the papers to track any movement made by our favorite teams. Man, I hadn't realized how much I have progressed in my football knowledge in the year and a half since I found this site :)

Well, my parents didn't see the need for cable when I was growing up, and I didn't have regular internet access until I went to college in 1998, so, being in Minnesota, my only Dolphins coverage up through high school was watching a few games a year on TV, and reading game summaries and team articles in the newspaper. Then I hit college, and I suddenly had ESPN, and my world changed forever. NFL Primetime saved my life. :lol:

Well I was lucky. I grew up in south Florida as a kid and then central Florida during my teen years. So we had more news than most. But nothing compared to the volume and instant access we see now. It is amazing how much is out there and how quickly it is available to us.

I remember pre-ESPN days when you didn't get big stories are transactions until the team held a news conference to "break" them.

Sometimes I wonder if all of this is good. I mean right now a team/player/coach can't even think about making a change without it being a national event. The associated pressure etc. is really difficult. The scrutiny is intense.

But as the sport has grown so as the revenues. They get paid to take the heat.

But all in all, I agree. The NFL has become a major phenomenon.

I remember well. When I was younger I couldn't stand not being to see my Phins on TV. We were stuck with the Foreskins and whomever NBC felt like showing. Luckly, it used to be at least an AFC East game.
Whats funny now is that I can't stand it when they show updated scores every 10 minutes during a game and take up a 1/4 of the screen. Back then you would be lucky to see an update every 45 minutes

Back
Top Bottom