How many Remember | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How many Remember

Well, I was fortunate with "internet" access, sort of, from 1990 on. At law school, we had access to a proprietary online news service named Nexus. It seemed that most of the Dolphins articles came that were available came out of a Fort Myers paper, but they could well have been simply AP from the Miami writers.

I'd search for "Dolphins" or "Shula" with a date restriction each morning before I went to class. Was pretty neat for back then.

You should try living in England then!!!!!!!!!!

In the old days, I had to listen to Armed Forces Radio, on a reception that was hardly audible, as the satellite moved in and out of range, praying that I'd hear the scores. If not, I had to wait till the NFL coverage on TV on Monday or the newspaper which occasionally did it on Tuesday. If AFN had the Miami game on live, it was a labour of love keeping up with the game because it drifted in and out.

In terms of the draft I had to either hear the run down of the first round again on AFN, which usually faded out just before Miami's pick, or wait till Tuesday till I could get a copy of USA Today on Tuesday, although that was never easy to get hold of in the mid/late 1980s.

You boys had it E-A-S-Y. :)

Boomer said:
You should try living in England then!!!!!!!!!!

In the old days, I had to listen to Armed Forces Radio, on a reception that was hardly audible, as the satellite moved in and out of range, praying that I'd hear the scores. If not, I had to wait till the NFL coverage on TV on Monday or the newspaper which occasionally did it on Tuesday. If AFN had the Miami game on live, it was a labour of love keeping up with the game because it drifted in and out.

In terms of the draft I had to either hear the run down of the first round again on AFN, which usually faded out just before Miami's pick, or wait till Tuesday till I could get a copy of USA Today on Tuesday, although that was never easy to get hold of in the mid/late 1980s.

You boys had it E-A-S-Y. :)

hey boomer, this is pretty much the same situation, like in good old germany, but fortunately now, a friend of mine has an AFN Decoder and now we can choose between like 3 games at 1 pm and 4 pm. pretty good for germany i guess..... :cooldude:

The internet.......... :nono:

We've created a tool for the world to pi$$ and moan.. :D

I remember waiting for my annual subscription to SPORT magazine paid off with the NFL preview. SPORT isn't even around anymore as they defunked a few years back while I still had a year's subscription to them. It worked out though because they gave me a list of mags to choose form one of them on that list being an unknown rag called For Him Magazine, or FHM. The payoff was sweet!

What are we talking about? Oh yeah the dark years. Yeah I used to be able to watch like 3 to 4 games and then catch the highlights on TV. Now, with the internet I can listen to the radio and, if I had it, get direct TV for Dolphins games. www.finheaven.com as wel as other numerous sites have allowed us access to scouting reports, breaking news, rumors and other things to tickle our fancy. It is really quite surreal the amount of news we can get our hands on.

Surferosa said:
I remember having to rummage through the "transactions" column in the sports section of the newspaper (in tiny, tiny print), to see if my beloved Dolphins had made a move. It had transactions from all the Pro and college teams.

What a hungry kid would do for a little football information.

Ah yes, I remember this well, I stayed in that section day after day, trying to see if we picked up a player I was particularly fund of..Good memories..Today's news is way better, faster, more indepth...technology at it's best, and sometimes worst...go look at the Jets board and see the pic of their new Miami UM grad middle LB, 1 round pick..LOL..now that's a sight for sore eyes..hope he poise like that in a game and Carey takes him out. :roflmao:

I'm American, but I grew up in Saudi Arabia...back in the early 80's I used to have to go to the post office to read newswires that were taped to the wall that had two line summaries of Fins games...two days late!! I remember it was torture during the playoffs

Or how about watchng MNF with Cosell and Dandy Dan for the halftime show where they showed the highlights of every game played on Sunday just to see a Dolphins Uniform.

Omaha_Dolfan said:
Or how about watchng MNF with Cosell and Dandy Dan for the halftime show where they showed the highlights of every game played on Sunday just to see a Dolphins Uniform.

:vault:

Yep, pretty sad for the 10 seconds or so. :lol:

I remember when I was about 7 or so my dad was listening to a fin game on a channel we didnt even get...we could just barly hear the announcers....how great nfl sunday ticket is!

Bah! thry living in Canada dudes! We can't get the NFL Network up here. No ESPN or ESPNews. Luckily, we can get NFL Sunday Ticket so I do get to watch every regualr season game. Pre-Season games.......HA HA. But if somebody wants to tape them for me and send them to me that would be great.lol

PhinPhreak said:
Did people even go to preseason games then, I know there were only a few on TV, the HOF fame and maybe one other one. There just wasn't much interest in Preseason back then.

The other game was the college all stars vs the superbowl champs. What a joke. :lol:

I hated those days. I remember the first year Fryar & Ingram showed up, I was like what the hell happened to Clayton & Duper.

Back
Top Bottom