How Miami could tank ... and win | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Miami could tank ... and win

Here’s another way Miami wins. In 2021 the NFL adopts a lottery system similar to the NBA. Miami trades back this year with Pittsburgh’s #1 pick. That pick becomes a lottery pick and Miami gets the #1 overall pick in 2021. Podcasters and Tweeters go ahead and steal this. Ya know ya will.

Absolutely no changes in the league from then until now.

Also

But Grier is clueless

Basically said that young players aren’t as valuable Bc the cba limits practices and stunts development.

One writer trying to make sense of what Belichick had done that offseason. The next couple years the Pats were back to their standard formula of loading up on rookies.

The draft is just as important as it ever was. There's nothing more valuable than the player who produces on a rookie contract.

I can’t take you seriously when you say that team would have only been “slightly better” with a prime Dan Marino instead of a **** qb that we wasted 7 years on, who was 32nd in dvoa.

Honestly this sabotage is more of Grier thinking Tannehill was better than he is. Didn’t that moron say it wasn’t a mistake to draft Tannehill?
Because last years team was a **** team. It should have never started 3-0, got lucky breaks vs Chicago and outside of a fine ST play, it would have been swept by NE. Marino would not have saved it.

You clearly have your mind stuck in "**** Grier" so no bother even continuing this.

still can't believe some are proud of this...

I'm proud that we are trying something bold and different. Nothing else has worked and I'm tired of spinning wheels and going no where. What were we supposed to do? Continue to try to win now when we knew the team was no where near good enough to reach the playoffs?

I at least have hope for the future now.

I don't see it as a tank. I see it as an evaluation of talent, while maximizing draft capital for the talent that doesn't want to be evaluated. Ok, maybe a little tanking, but you have to admit....acquiring all these picks for 20/21 is something this franchise has never done. We have always been the payer, not the payee of such. I think everyone that doesn't like the rebuild is just uncomfortable and not sure how to react, so they panic as usual. Why panic? Why criticize? The 2019 Miami Dolphins organization is Christopher Columbus to us fans....Let's see if we find land....before jumping ship on this staff.

You can't blame Ross. He has shelled out an a$$load of money for this franchise to succeed. You can only blame the subpar play of overpaid players, overrated coaches (Gase is 0-3 with his coveted Jests D and Leveon Bell), and overrated expectations. This new regime ACTUALLY has been given the keys to the kingdom. Cap money, draft loot, and decision power. I'm down with it. I watch football on Sundays now to root for the Steelers and Texans to lose, more than the Fins to win. If we win, hey, sucks for the other team's fans. We lose, and it's expected. I'm ok either way. I actually want to see Buffalo do well this season, and maybe sneak the division title. If they beat the Pats Sunday, it might be possible.

Not to mention, watching Adam Gase's pressers in NY are pure gold. Mono. LOL That's too bad.

Colts went from 1-15 to 11-5 in one year. I dont think we do that but its not unrealistic to be competing for the playoffs in two years. Hell competing for the playoffs next year isnt some crazy thought.

The Colts lost one of the best QB’s ever to play the game right before the season and had no options to replace him. They did not get the team! Luck walked into a talented team from the start, a tam built around a premium QB. There is nothing comparable to what Miami has done. Nothing. What the Colts did is so far removed from what is happening in Miami, they shouldn’t even be used in the same sentence. In the end, they made a couple of playoff runs, and destroyed their QB. Even if you thought they were a model for tanking, it certainly is not a good one.

The Colts lost one of the best QB’s ever to play the game right before the season and had no options to replace him. They did not get the team! Luck walked into a talented team from the start, a tam built around a premium QB. There is nothing comparable to what Miami has done. Nothing. What the Colts did is so far removed from what is happening in Miami, they shouldn’t even be used in the same sentence. In the end, they made a couple of playoff runs, and destroyed their QB. Even if you thought they were a model for tanking, it certainly is not a good one.
Luck walked onto a 1-15 team, dudeski. Either the team was bad and he made them better, or QB means more than you think it does.

They were 1-15 and didnt have 67 draft picks and $140 million in cap either. You are right. Its nothing like Miami's tank besides the QB we will take first overall. Both really good QBs.

I'm proud that we are trying something bold and different. Nothing else has worked and I'm tired of spinning wheels and going no where. What were we supposed to do? Continue to try to win now when we knew the team was no where near good enough to reach the playoffs?

I at least have hope for the future now.

I understand the desire for change and a new process, but the Dolphins are in uncharted territory here. They dream of having talent as loaded as even an expansion team. They literally need to hit on everything if they are going to succeed, because they have essentially eliminated everything. How many players on the current roster would you retain at this point? The coaching needs to be exceptional and the FA signings will be critical too. If any of this is mishandled, we could draft a star QB and still be terrible throughout that QB’s career.

As was mentioned earlier, what Miami has done is definitely historic in nature. Maybe other so called tanks failed because they didn’t cut as deep as the Dolphins did, or maybe they cut so deep it takes a decade or more to repair. I don’t know, but I still believe you build teams out from the trenches. Until we get the lines right, we will struggle.

I understand the desire for change and a new process, but the Dolphins are in uncharted territory here. They dream of having talent as loaded as even an expansion team. They literally need to hit on everything if they are going to succeed, because they have essentially eliminated everything. How many players on the current roster would you retain at this point? The coaching needs to be exceptional and the FA signings will be critical too. If any of this is mishandled, we could draft a star QB and still be terrible throughout that QB’s career.

As was mentioned earlier, what Miami has done is definitely historic in nature. Maybe other so called tanks failed because they didn’t cut as deep as the Dolphins did, or maybe they cut so deep it takes a decade or more to repair. I don’t know, but I still believe you build teams out from the trenches. Until we get the lines right, we will struggle.

Chill out dude. Just hit on the QB and everything will come into place. Even if that said QB needs to sit a year. We dont have to "hit on everything". News flash. We arent gonna hit on everything. Gonna be alright.

Worst comes to worst we can easily get back to 8-8 if this blows up in our face.

BTW we had some of the shittiest lines last year and won 7 games. Oline was trash and the dline was probably worse.

If Tua turns out to be elite, it buys you a loooooong time to try and get the rest of the roster right to compete as long as you prioritize Oline to not get him killed before that happens which we can do with all the rest of our draft capital and cap space. Our problem has been we've been trying to piecemeal the roster all while not having or prioritizing getting an elite QB.

If Tua turns out to be elite, it buys you a loooooong time to try and get the rest of the roster right to compete as long as you prioritize Oline to not get him killed before that happens...

I don't follow college football, so discussing Tua means nothing to me. BUT, Miami traded for Rosen and then refused to put enough effort and resources toward fixing the o-line (actually, I'd replace all of Gase's o-line). If Miami won't build a competent o-line in order to be able to properly evaluate (and protect) Rosen, I have no faith that they'll do it next year if they select a QB with their first pick. IMO, it seems as if they want a good QB, but are trying to do as little as possible to fix the o-line.

Luck walked onto a 1-15 team, dudeski. Either the team was bad and he made them better, or QB means more than you think it does.

Nonsense. Here are the Colt’s records 4 years prior to tanking and 3 years after:

13-3
12-4
14-2
10-6
2-14
11-5
11-5
11-5

The Colts were not a bad team. They had no QB for the “tanking” season, and thus the terrible record. Now, before you start on your QB is all that matters rant, there are some special circumstances here:

1. Their QB was a generational talent, and one of the best to ever play the game
2. Their entire offense was built around that QB, specifically because he was a generational talent, and that is what you do when you have one.
3. Unlike Brady, Manning was not a system QB, but rather the system was him. You could not plug any other backup QB in and be successful, as the Patriots can and have done when Brady was out

Again, the situations are completely different. The Dolphins have no talent and have to create everything from scratch now. The Colts simply had to plug in another good pocket passer and move on like the extremely talented team they were. That is not going to happen here.

Last edited:
They were 1-15 and didnt have 67 draft picks and $140 million in cap either. You are right. Its nothing like Miami's tank besides the QB we will take first overall. Both really good QBs.

You are kidding yourself. The Colts already had premium talent signed and on board. They just needed one piece to replace Manning. The Dolphins have one player they are sure is talented and have to draft and sign everyone else. Given our recent drafts, we will be lucky to hit on 50% of those picks and that FA money. Actually, if they do hit on 50% that would be considered amazing drafting in the NFL by any team. It is unlikely to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom