How much of the blame gets put on Spielman? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much of the blame gets put on Spielman?

SF Dolphin Fan said:
I never felt like Spielman got a great shot. His one year as GM, he had a coaching staff that can't develop players and refuses to give guys like Carey and Feeley a chance to play. For that reason, those two players are big question marks as the season approaches.

That said, yes he deserves some blame. Feeley may yet develop, but he came at a steep price in what proved to be nearly a #1 pick. It will be interesting to see if Feeley is given a chance under Saban. If he does develop maybe fans will think a little differently about Spielman.

Carey vs. Wilfork will also be debated, especially considering that it's difficult to find quality DT's and Wilfork seemed to fall into Miami's lap.

If Jp Losman develops into a decent Qb he'll also be in the debate with Wilfork. Don't blame the coaching staff for Carey not beating out St. Clair who was the Phins best offensive linemen last year for the starting job. I hope Saban does not just give out starting jobs based on what a player cost the organization. The best players should play, and Carey was not a better player than St. Clair. The Feeley v Fiedler thing can be argued so I won't get into that. I don't think Spielman got a fair deal with Miami, but if retaining Spielman meant that Saban was not the head coach would you still want him as the gm?

phinfan27 said:
I say a lot.... his drafts sucked and he hired Wanny.

He did not hire Wanny, Wanny hired him...then H. Wayne promoted RS over Wanny last offseason.

His only true draft was last years, where he did ok with his picks, but still had to pick talent based on the type of player that Wanny likes (Bua, Pope....undersized LBs). Unfortunately, now that we have Saban here, some of RS picks (like the LBs I mentioned) probably won't make it here. Also, you really have to give a draft a couple or three years to see how they pan out. Now, had you said that Wanny's drafts sucked, I would whole heartedly agree. Spielman will never get any credit because of his association with Wanny...It's just too hard to really seperate what moves were Wanny's and what were RS, until the 2004 draft and offseason.

One of the reasons that RS will never get as much credit as he may be due is that while being the GM, he still needed to supply players that fit Wanny's team...therefore, his first draft was based on that. The real question, that will probably never get answered is "How much imput did he really have with Sabans first draft ??" None of us can answer that, but it would be really interesting to find out...

Speilman will forever be linked to the disaster that Wanny left here in Miami. Is it fair to him ?? No way, but that is life...

I wish him luck and offer some advice...STAY AWAY FROM WANNSTEDT AND YOU'LL GET MUCH MORE RESPECT !!

Back
Top Bottom