How Norv will help Jay | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Norv will help Jay

Hmm. Why not bring up Johnson's 4,000 yard season in which he completed around 62% of his passes and had 85+ QB plus a Pro-Bowl along with 24 TDs to only 15 INTs? That's the season that got him his payday. Much better than anything Jay Fiedler has ever done.

Tampa has a running game? You might want to tell the Buc fans that, since they were behind Miami in rushing this year.

Giving Jay yet another chance is just spinning your wheels. He simply doesn't have the talent to compete at a consistent high level. Sure, he may give you a few average games against poor competition, but when faced with playoff competition, you will get the same Jay Fiedler that has a 51 QB rating and has thrown 7 TDs vs 27 INTs against playoff competition over the last two years. And that's because he has no arm and can't read a defense.

Hey umm KB, wanna tell me who was Brads coach when he put those numbers up?

It wouldn't be the same guy who is running Miami's offense now would it?

I have another question for you...if Dave, and Jay, and obviously Wayne himself are all such idiots, and you hate these guys so much, why don't you go find yourself another team to "support"?

"Hmm. Why not bring up Johnson's 4,000 yard season in which he completed around 62% of his passes and had 85+ QB plus a Pro-Bowl along with 24 TDs to only 15 INTs? That's the season that got him his payday. Much better than anything Jay Fiedler has ever done."

Yet.
BJohnson didn't have that decent season until his sixth year in the league and his third season as a starter. Let's also not forget who was his headcoach at the time too.
How any body who claims to be fan of the Dolphins can still hate on Jay Fiedler, blows my mind. The guy may or may not be more than average, that has yet to be proven, but as far as being a TEAM player there hasn't been any body better than Jay.The man has handled himself above par on and off the field and that's not easy with all the hating he takes from ignorant fans who expect Dan Marinos to just fall out of chickens' asses every third Tuesday of the month. If all Jay is here to do is just keep the seat warm for the next QB god we can get our hands on, So be it. There's no body better for the job.

I think it was great that this convo. went full circle, and by the end KB was argueing our point for us. Ill say it for you more time maybe you will get it now. Brad Johnson was and is a bum every year of his career except the 1 he played under Turner. Troy was struggleing in Dallas untill Norv took over the offense. All we are saying is that due to his track record we hope Norv can get that kind of improvement out of Jay.

"Hmm. Why not bring up Johnson's 4,000 yard season in which he completed around 62% of his passes and had 85+ QB plus a Pro-Bowl along with 24 TDs to only 15 INTs? That's the season that got him his payday. Much better than anything Jay Fiedler has ever done."

Okay KB. Lets talk about that 1999 season.

Lets talk about Brad's RB that year, Stephen Davis. In 14 games, Davis had over 1,400 yards rushing (4.8 ypc/100 ypg) and 17 TDs that year.

Lets talk about Larry Centers, the greatest receiving FB of all time. Centers had 69 catches in that '99 season.

Lets talk about his strong WR corps of Michael Westbrook, Albert Connell, and James Thrash. Westbrook and Connell each averaged 18.3 ypc that season. Remember, those two were at the height of their careers. And speedster Thrash averaged almost 15 ypc on 44 recs. Brad also got 29 recs from TE Stephen Alexander.

And as mentioned before, Norv Turner was a big help too.

I don't know about you KB, but I'd say Brad Johnson had LOTS of weapons in that 1999 season. Don't you think??

IMO...

Originally posted by Expo88

KB, you seem to like to grab hold of an opinion and stick with it until the bitter end, regardless of whether it's correct or not. It's time to give it up and give Jay a chance. I don't think it's fair for you to compare Fiedler to Brad Johnson either.....Fiedler's a better QB than Johnson, hands down. Since you like numbers let's look at some:

Brad Johnson: 340/559 with a 60.8% completion rate, 3406 yards, 13 TD's/11 INT's, and a 77.7 overall rating. This is the guy that had all kinds of hype about him in the off-season. This is the guy who had Keyshawn and couldn't get him the D*** ball in the end zone. This is the guy who had a ground game and an O-line.

Jay Fiedler: 273/450 with a 60.7 completion percentage, 3290 yards, 20 TD's/19 INT's, and a QB rating of 80.3. This is the guy who, as you said, nobody wanted. This is the guy who did nothing but keep the 'Fins in games in the fourth quarter. This is the guy who had a decimated O-line, a pathetic ground game, and had no go-to receiver until mid-season.

Also, Fiedler's YPA were also almost one yard more than Johnson's. Had Jay ventured into the free agent market this year he would likely have been the best of the bunch in the QB arena (granted, it is a week pool.) Numbers don't lie bro, so I think it's time to step off the Jay-hating soap box and get behind him; otherwise it's going to be crow and humble pie dinners for you next season.

:lol:

... Fiedler easily could have gotten a better 2-year deal in FA than he did with the Dolphins. I doubt Jay could have received a better overall package as he got here in Dolphins land, but easily a better 2-year deal.

Jay Fiedler if he opted for FA would have been the cream of the crop, easily. His only competition in that would have been Dilfer.

Jay signed basically a 2-year possibly 3-year deal. It is good for him and it's good for the Dolphins. It's a win win situation all the way around. Jay stinks it up they release him, end of story. Jay plays at a pro-bowl level the Dolphins would be paying that QB an appropriate salary.

I can't for the life of me see how any could have a problem with this deal. I have yet to hear certain ppl who hate the re-signing of Jay Fiedler make a competent case against this move.

Oliver...

Maybe because?

Originally posted by KB21
Hmm. Why not bring up Johnson's 4,000 yard season in which he completed around 62% of his passes and had 85+ QB plus a Pro-Bowl along with 24 TDs to only 15 INTs? That's the season that got him his payday. Much better than anything Jay Fiedler has ever done.

Tampa has a running game? You might want to tell the Buc fans that, since they were behind Miami in rushing this year.

Giving Jay yet another chance is just spinning your wheels. He simply doesn't have the talent to compete at a consistent high level. Sure, he may give you a few average games against poor competition, but when faced with playoff competition, you will get the same Jay Fiedler that has a 51 QB rating and has thrown 7 TDs vs 27 INTs against playoff competition over the last two years. And that's because he has no arm and can't read a defense.

... that year you are talking about was back in 1999?

Really QB, try harder to make salient points.

We are dealing with now, not then. Jay Fiedler had a better year with less to work with compared to Brad Johnson 2001. Let's not even talk about how OLD BJ is to Fiedler in football years.

Fiedler is near BJ's age, but Fiedler has very very low mileage as a NFL player.

Brad Johnson is the original Jay Fiedler. Both have comparable arms, and Brad started out as a 3rd string QB and worked his way up just like Jay has.

Your double standards towards Jay shine through brightly whenever you bring up Mr. Brad Johnson.

Oliver...

Originally posted by Muck

Okay KB. Lets talk about that 1999 season.

Lets talk about Brad's RB that year, Stephen Davis. In 14 games, Davis had over 1,400 yards rushing (4.8 ypc/100 ypg) and 17 TDs that year.

Lets talk about Larry Centers, the greatest receiving FB of all time. Centers had 69 catches in that '99 season.

Lets talk about his strong WR corps of Michael Westbrook, Albert Connell, and James Thrash. Westbrook and Connell each averaged 18.3 ypc that season. Remember, those two were at the height of their careers. And speedster Thrash averaged almost 15 ypc on 44 recs. Brad also got 29 recs from TE Stephen Alexander.

And as mentioned before, Norv Turner was a big help too.

I don't know about you KB, but I'd say Brad Johnson had LOTS of weapons in that 1999 season. Don't you think??

He had all those same weapons the next year except for Westbrook and they sucked. And BTW, all those WRs you mentioned are pretty bad. He also had a good year in Minnesota I think.

Yup, in 1997 he played in 13 games as a starter, and threw 20td's to only 12 INTs for just over 3000 yards. Brad Johnson is a decent QB, but he is just a tad fragile, having only started all 16 games twice in his 10 year career.

The two best years he ever had were under Chan Gailey, and Norv Turner.

Originally posted by Iceblizzard69
"He had all those same weapons the next year except for Westbrook and they sucked. And BTW, all those WRs you mentioned are pretty bad."

The 2000 season was TOTALLY different than the 1999 season. Do not forget that. In '99, Washington was a VERY good team. They lost to the Buccaneers in the Second Round of the Playoffs 14-13 because Matt Turk's brother botched the snap of the extra point as the game ended. The game was sort of an upset.

Those WRs DID NOT suck in 1999. I had Connell and Westbrook on my fantasy football team, and they did nothing but produce. The three of them were OUTSTANDING. All three could get deep. And Westbrook was very good underneath.

What happened in 2000 was a disaster. The knock on Connell was (and still is) that he can't be "The Guy". And when Westbrook got hurt, Connell completely disappeared. Thrash ended up taking his job.

Also, do not forget how Daniel Snyder's meddling RIPPED THE TEAM APART. Snyder brought in Deion Sanders (who didn't do jack) and introduced a cancer to the locker room in the form of JEFF GEORGE. Johnson got hurt and Snyder created a QB controversy. Norv Turner didn't finish the season. And when Terry Robieski became HC, George made sure he got fired. George was heard screaming something to the effect of "Your not the first coach I'll have gotten fired" in a heated locker room exchange.

Needless to say, continuity and a cohesive working environment were not to be found in Washington in 2000.

sorry I didn't read every post in this thread...

'cause it was too tedious and long, but you guys missed the point. Norv and Jay are not gonna win squat for this team. We need to win games running the ball, playing good D and ST and winning the TO battle. If we need to Jay to win it, like we needed Dan to win it by himself, then we are in trouble or at least limited to beating bad teams like last year.

When Jay can play action pass and actually suprise the D because they are worried about the run, then "Norv will help Jay" :D

Re: sorry I didn't read every post in this thread...

Originally posted by dolphan39
'cause it was too tedious and long, but you guys missed the point. Norv and Jay are not gonna win squat for this team. We need to win games running the ball, playing good D and ST and winning the TO battle. If we need to Jay to win it, like we needed Dan to win it by himself, then we are in trouble or at least limited to beating bad teams like last year.

When Jay can play action pass and actually suprise the D because they are worried about the run, then "Norv will help Jay" :D

I think this thread is actully about missing the point. It was started to talk about how Norv may help Jay. Instead a few people that obviosly know so much more than the rest of us, turn it in to a attack Jay thread. You people make me so angry, you act so pompas, thinking you are so much more enlightented because you can find so many stats that prove that Jay is the down fall of this team. In your hatred for Jay you have become blind to the fact that our defense has fallen from dominant to mediocre. That our running game has fallen to the bottom of the league. That our o-line is in shambles. I too am not a Jay supporter, but know enough about football to realize it doesn't matter how good your qb is if you can't run or stop the run. See Dan Marino's career for proof. I also understand the concept of "opportunity loss". For everything you aquire you have to give up something; thus, if we traded for Bledsoe or a draft pick to be able to pick Harrington or Carr we would inturn have little chance to fix the other major need areas. On the other hand by giving Jay another year or 2 to improve at a very cap freindly # we might be able to sign a FA o-lineman, and draft a DT or Rb.

Well too bad for them...

Originally posted by Dajesus

I think this thread is actully about missing the point. It was started to talk about how Norv may help Jay. Instead a few people that obviosly know so much more than the rest of us, turn it in to a attack Jay thread. You people make me so angry, you act so pompas, thinking you are so much more inlightented because you can find so many stats that prove that Jay is the down fall of this team. In your hatetrid for Jay you have become blind to the fact that our defense has fallen from dominant to mediocre. That our running game has fallen to the bottom of the league. That our o-line is in shambles. I to am not a Jay supporter, but know enough about football to realize it doesn't matter how good your qb is if you can't run or stop the run. See Dan Marino's carreer for proof. I also understand the concept of "oppertunity loss". For everything you aquire you have to give up something; thus, if we traded for Bledsoe or a draft pick to be able to pick Harrington or Carr we would inturn have little chance to fix the other major need areas. On the other hand by giving Jay another year or 2 to improve at a very cap freindly # we might be able to sign a FA o-lineman, and draft a DT or Rb.

... all any1 has to look at is Jay's late season performance to know he is an improved QB who deserves the backing of his team.

You don't throw away a QB who threw 20 TD's on a season, especially when that QB did this with an O coordinator who allowed his QB to throw when they were coming from behind because their running game was so unsuccessful in MOST games this past season.

All players make mistakes, it's just a shame certain ppl only want to focus in on a few BAD games for Jay last year. And to me it's amazing how these ppl are more than willing to ignore LS's problems, he basically had 3 GOOD games all season long.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom