How & When can Miami assess Wilson, Hurns? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How & When can Miami assess Wilson, Hurns?

I wouldn’t count on them at all. A project WR? Miami has the chance to draft the best WR in the draft if they want to.
Agree we should not count on them.
I do not know who the best receiver is- Smith? Chase? Waddle?
But your point, I think, is we can get a likely rookie impact WR in the draft.

If those 2 guys can report to work as the same players they were in late-December 2019 it would be a Huge problem solved for the Dolphins.
Wilson was 100% back from that injury and had the quicks and runaway speed and Hurns was also very effective and could backup both boundary and slot, though Bowden might have earned a solid shot to make the team there, too.

We wouldn't need any FA WRs and we could draft a project WR with elite measurables.

But, if the layoff caused them to lose a step or downgrade in ability then we have to cut bait.

I really don't think the shape of Wilson or Hurns will make any difference what position Miami goes after with their 1st pick in the draft.

Maybe it changes FA, maybe it changes who they take with that first pick, but Miami I believe will be taking a receiver with that 1st pick.

Agree we should not count on them.
I do not know who the best receiver is- Smith? Chase? Waddle?
But your point, I think, is we can get a likely rookie impact WR in the draft.
I don’t know. I’ve always wanted Smith but I never realized how thin the guy was. I don’t watch college but when I had seen him after the title game I had to look twice at how small he was.

Wilson will be 29 by the time TC rolls around... Bowden has his position and his # (15).

Bowden is 23 and one tuff kid. Has lots of upside in the slot.

I think Wilson is on the outside looking in.

Hurns? No chance he's back IMO.

Wilson will be 29 by the time TC rolls around... Bowden has his position and his # (15).

Didn't realize Wilson was that close to 30.

Actually it changes my perspective a bit, though in any case, I didn't see him beyond this year.

Here’s a clue. Hurns is 30, Wilson is 28. Now ask yourself which one is definitely not coming back.

I’d agree but I think at a 2 mil cap hit Wilson needs a look in camp, not terrible expensive but could be a good veteran fit

Even that leaves room for one more, whether it be mid level FA, or a second rook.
And, of course, if the first rookie happens to be for our Alpha WR (Chase, Smith) even better.

That's what we're all hoping.

The group I mentioned with a true #1 at the top?

Whole different offense.

I still say Bowden might have a better 3 or 4 year window for Miami, but in terms of who helps the team most in 2021 and maybe 2022 I'm not sure you wouldn't go with a healthy Wilson. Of couse Wilson's salary is also a factor. To be honest with the number of wrs in this rookie class and FA pool I think it wouldn't be too difficult to find upgrads over both. For example Amari Rogers from Clemson might be a good slot option in the later rounds of the draft. Maybe add a starting slot and let Perry and Bowen battle for the reserve duty in 2021 and maybe a larger role down the line.

I’d agree but I think at a 2 mil cap hit Wilson needs a look in camp, not terrible expensive but could be a good veteran fit
Right... I tend to ignore the bean count scenario tho I know it's often a factor...

Right... I tend to ignore the bean count scenario tho I know it's often a factor...
If youre not looking at the 'bean counter' aspect in all these considerations, in 2021, then youre thinking like a child.
Not only do you have to look at cap issues for this year when evaluating players, but you have to look at the whole duration of the rookie contracts.
"If said player at x position is really good in 4 years, what moves will we have to make in 1 year, 2 years, 3 years to be able to re-sign that player to a big veteran contract.
You want to know why Dolphins drafted a raw CB at pick 30? It wasnt about 2020 at all. It was about insurance for X Howard wanting his money by 2022 or sooner

Back
Top Bottom