How & When can Miami assess Wilson, Hurns? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How & When can Miami assess Wilson, Hurns?

Cutting Hurns saves practically nothing, right? I could see him at least making it to camp and competing for a spot. He's also half a year older than Wilson, not two years.

I don't think Wilson will ever be the same as he was before the injury, and he's purely a slot guy whereas Hurns can be used outside.

To me, if either of these guys can still ball, the savings from cutting them doesnt justify cutting them.
The first part of this is what needs to be determined.

I really don't think the shape of Wilson or Hurns will make any difference what position Miami goes after with their 1st pick in the draft.

Maybe it changes FA, maybe it changes who they take with that first pick, but Miami I believe will be taking a receiver with that 1st pick.
First pick? No, but it would be one or 2 fewer later picks we could instead allocate to other positions.

If those 2 guys can report to work as the same players they were in late-December 2019 it would be a Huge problem solved for the Dolphins.
Wilson was 100% back from that injury and had the quicks and runaway speed and Hurns was also very effective and could backup both boundary and slot, though Bowden might have earned a solid shot to make the team there, too.

We wouldn't need any FA WRs and we could draft a project WR with elite measurables.

But, if the layoff caused them to lose a step or downgrade in ability then we have to cut bait.
If they don't get cut, they are going to have to make up for skipping last year and earn their way onto the roster.

Easy cut them all, maybe keep Ford for depth, Wilson has to have lost his twitch which was a huge part of his game and Hurns is Hurns, need I saw more?

I feel like Samuel can perform better than a healthy Wilson and is more versatile, not just a slot guy...prolly can return too so we don't need to see
Jakeem Ant on the field muffing kicks and dropping bombs. I don't know why the management and Flo seem to give him a pass...maybe cuz his ST play

Only WRs I feel are safe are DVP and PDubs...fill in a spot or two in the draft and the same in free agency.

This unit needs more speedster and pure route runners to even out the talent we are putting on the field. Which means a TRUE #1 ala Chase/Smith/Waddle, move DVP to 1b/2 and he'll produce.

Last edited:
Cutting Hurns saves practically nothing, right? I could see him at least making it to camp and competing for a spot. He's also half a year older than Wilson, not two years.

I don't think Wilson will ever be the same as he was before the injury, and he's purely a slot guy whereas Hurns can be used outside.
Virtually everything in that post is wrong.........

The way I see it hurns or Wilson is an absolute upgrade over Hollins, Ford, etc if they’re healthy.

I can't believe anyone could disagree with > Wilson and Hurns are locks on the team . . . UNTIL an equal or better replacement is found. Part of that decision will be determining their level of performance.

I'll be shocked if they've not already been assessed and a decision tree already made for each of them. Let's quickly review:
1. Production? No.
1a. Injury? Yes, both have missed significant time due to injuries.
1b. Age? Yes, both are getting up there in age for a WR.
1c. Drive? No, both sat out the 2019 season because they feared health consequences. So when they had a chance to prove their drive after a paid recovery from injury, both chose to sit at home and wait for a new FA cycle.

2. Cost? Both are very expensive in this era.
2a. Pandemic Discount? No. At this time neither has said they'd accept a reduced salary to stay in Miami, and it's unclear whether the team ever even offered them that option. Not sure how their contract years are affected by the Pandemic, but I _think_ they are suspended so we're still locked in just like we were one year ago.
2b. Dead Cap? Ummm, not sure, someone else needs to address this one, but I think there would be some dead cap for each if we parted ways.

3. Options? We have a bevy of options in the draft, and are apparently pursuing the top FA WR Kenny Golladay as well. No need to keep either guy.

Literally all of these options are tilted heavily towards moving on from those two guys. The only thorn on this rose might be dead cap money. Other than that, I think any GM is going to stop holding a roster spot for an old, injury-prone, unproductive player who bailed on the team voluntarily in 2019. GM's get paid for us winning, not for us having a great roster on paper. Without production, you don't deserve a roster spot or salary cap, that's just how it is.

Fk Golladay. The idea of wasting cap space on a guy with the least amount of separation among NFL WRs makes me sick.
Hurns is a good depth guy for a boundary spot and Wilson was his FastAF self in late 2019 and is an NFL veteran who we wont have to wait out 'rookie blues' with as opposed to drafting a slot guy and counting on him to contribute immediately.
I mean, still draft slot guy(s), but as backup until they can hang in the League.
I like that Estridge kid, but it's gonna take 6 games or more for him (or similar) to handle NFL DBs and learn the offense and blah blah.

It Really seems that there's more to lose than to gain by cutting Wison & Hurns.

THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS THREAD WAS TO ASCERTAIN THE OPTIONS MIAMI HAS IN ANALYZING/SELF-SCOUTING HURNS AND WILSONS' ABILITIES AS OF MARCH 2021.

JUST SAYIN.

Cutting Hurns would mostly be a dead cap hit so I don't expect Hurns to get released.

Neither Wilson, nor Hurns makes jack. Wilson's base salary is 2.1 million (with some roster bonuses added if he sticks and is active), and Hurns makes even less at 1.8M (and some smaller roster bonuses).

Cutting them before camp would be short-sighted. Keeping them costs so little...

Bring them to camp and find out if they can make the team (or generate a draft pick in a trade).

Wilson continued:

If Wilson were cut, we would save 2.8 against the cap, but those saving would evaporate due to the 2.3M in dead money. So... cutting him generates essentially zero savings.

Hurns continued:

Hurns actually has negative consequences to cut... we'd only save 800K against the cap, but would incur 2.1M in dead money.

Neither one of these guys is gonna help you I-wanna-sign-a-FA guys afford your new pony... and cutting them because you are mad at them... well, that is pretty dumb... you know?

Back
Top Bottom