How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020? | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Would Josh Rosen Need To Perform In 2019 For You To Forgo Drafting A 1st Round Qb In 2020?

I was framing the answer in the form of a question as it is done on Jeopardy, hence the "Alex" I understood the point you were making and agree 100% with it. If he performs at that level, Flores/Grier will "pass" on drafting a QB in 2020. :)

My bad. I've never watched jeopardy and was wondering who "Alex" was.

I was responding to "play(s) at an MVP level and lead us to a 10-6 record at worst." If Rosen plays like that, do you think Flores will draft a QB or pass on a R1 QB in '20. To state the obvious, the opinions of anyone here matter nothing. The only opinion that matters is Flores and company. I think every fan will concede FLORES would pass. Not what anyone WANTS to happen. Not what anyone would do if GM. What is the expected decision by Flores.

Why do you act like Flores makes all the personnel decisions? Last time I checked they have a GM in Chris Grier who makes those decisions. You are acting like Flores runs the whole show by himself when that is not the case. He doesn't have the power that Bill Belichick has.

He doesn't have to do that good at all in my opinion. I doubt we draft a QB next year in the first. All you fans stuck on tanking for some make believe savior crack me up. There is no sure thing in the draft period. Tua could be a bust just like every other draft pick.

Or Tua could be the next great QB as well. Nobody truly knows. It's all a gamble just like trading for Rosen was because he could end up being a bust too.

Of course if Rosen completely busts out they will draft a QB next draft. That is really not the question though.

Well my answer to the question is if the Dolphins have a bad season and end up with a top draft pick next year they need to draft a QB.

I haven't confirmed this but I think Aikman may be in the Hall of Fame. Is there some type of recognition these four received that automatically elevated them above a Hall of Fame Quarterback? Perhaps they should be immediately inducted into the hall, seems only fitting based on your professional assessment of their unworldly talents. What we're up against is someone that clearly has suffered some sort of cerebral trauma. Troll someone else.
He isn't wrong. It's a pointless endeavor to compare QBs before and after all of the rule changes that make it easier for a QB to succeed in today's NFL.

Dude this is a completely different NFL. And who cares what Bledsoe, Stafford or aikman's stats were. They aren't on Luck, Mahomes, Watson or even mayfield's level. That's what we are up against. We need big boy QB play to compete in the AFC. Take a second and look at those 4 QBs name. They are all special. The times of riding a good defense and a solid running game are over. We need and elite QB to compete. Rosen isn't that.

You might want to tell your new HC that his defensive-minded approach to the modern NFL is out dated. Then prove it to him but showing him the final score of the Super Bowl his defense just won.

I think you are believing too much of the new NFL hype machine to see what is actually happening. The old adages are still true.

Look at the teams that are winning the Super Bowl. Forget the in season highlights of high scoring offenses. Look who is still standing on top of the mountain in the end... A strong defensive performance shuts down a high scoring offense in this day and age.

NE never has an elite defense. But they scheme absolutely correctly against their opponent to win the big games.

Just having Tom Brady isn't enough. You have to have a defense that can elevate to the level of their opponent and shut them down. It is a game of point differentials.

A team averaging 30-35 points a game held to 20 is a huge defensive win.

So much so that an average NFL offense scoring 21 points can win the game.

Look at the recent SB winners . NE, PIT, SEA and so on. Look at their defenses.

Now go look at KC last year.

Scoring a million points in the season means nothing if you get shut down for the last game.

These are not the defenses of the 1970s Steel Curtain. But just like the offenses, they have adapted.

You don't have to hold an opponent to 6 points to win. You just need to subtract 10-14 points from their average and win the differential game.

Having an Elite QB is the one constant that has remained the same.

The defenses are still one of the most important pieces, but it is how the defenses win championships that has changed.

Why do you act like Flores makes all the personnel decisions? Last time I checked they have a GM in Chris Grier who makes those decisions. You are acting like Flores runs the whole show by himself when that is not the case. He doesn't have the power that Bill Belichick has.

If Roen gets Miami to 10-6 and Flores states he wants to keep him for '20, do you REALLY think Grier would override that and draft a R1 QB?

Or Tua could be the next great QB as well. Nobody truly knows. It's all a gamble just like trading for Rosen was because he could end up being a bust too.

Except, if Rosen plays well, the 'gamble' is stay with a known quantity or take a risk on MAYBE a better QB. I'm not against a R1 QB next year, but I want to see Rosen first

If Roen gets Miami to 10-6 and Flores states he wants to keep him for '20, do you REALLY think Grier would override that and draft a R1 QB?
I don't think it even takes 10-6.

There are many variables, not the least of which is defensive play.

For example, if we are loosing high scoring shootouts, where Rosen in moving the ball effectively, and he is on the right side of the TD/interception ratio, the actual record becomes less relevant.

You might want to tell your new HC that his defensive-minded approach to the modern NFL is out dated. Then prove it to him but showing him the final score of the Super Bowl his defense just won.

I think you are believing too much of the new NFL hype machine to see what is actually happening. The old adages are still true.

Look at the teams that are winning the Super Bowl. Forget the in season highlights of high scoring offenses. Look who is still standing on top of the mountain in the end... A strong defensive performance shuts down a high scoring offense in this day and age.

NE never has an elite defense. But they scheme absolutely correctly against their opponent to win the big games.

Just having Tom Brady isn't enough. You have to have a defense that can elevate to the level of their opponent and shut them down. It is a game of point differentials.

Scoring a million points in the season means nothing if you get shut down for the last game.

These are not the defenses of the 1970s Steel Curtain. But just like the offenses, they have adapted.

You don't have to hold an opponent to 6 points to win. You just need to subtract 10-14 points from their average and win the differential game.

The defenses are still one of the most important pieces, but it is how the defenses win championships that has changed.

Look at the QBs of the final four teams.......Brees, Mahomes, Brady, and Goff. Goff doesnt belong with the other three but he works in the best offensive system in the league. Their defenses by total defense:

New Orleans 14
Los Angeles 19
New England 21
Kansas City 31

Explain that. I am not completely ignoring defense but the bread is buttered with the QB now.

Well if Rosen gets them to 10-6 they won't be in position to draft a QB unless they trade the farm to move up and get a QB. I doubt that would happen if Rosen gets this team to a 10-6 record. I'm talking about if they end up with a bad record where they can draft a QB without having to trade up for one.

Exactly! The Giants won their two Super Bowls against the Patriots due to their strong defense in those games and the ability to pressure Tom Brady. And when the Patriots defense has sucked, they lost to the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom