Hurricanes possibly looking to break free from the Dolphins and Sun Life stadium | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hurricanes possibly looking to break free from the Dolphins and Sun Life stadium

Miami just needs to get back to a top level program. They easily can get 60 plus in that stadium no problem when there's a formidable program in there or the canes are a top team. Hell this year when Miami was #7 and 4-3 wake forest came in they drew 65+. Miami's problem is the talent on the field, you fix that and you will fix the attendance issue. Kind of similar to how some people were blaming the Fins' problems on low attendance rather than the room temperature collection of talent Jeff Ireland took 6 years to assemble. It's just that plain and simple in big market cities, you win and they will show up.

Why is it that Hurricanes can have a winning team and the fans don't show up? Other major schools are jam packing their stadiums even when they're not winning. What's the excuse?

40,000 seats doesn't sound like enough for a major university football stadium...this doesn't sound feasible.

Why is it that Hurricanes can have a winning team and the fans don't show up? Other major schools are jam packing their stadiums even when they're not winning. What's the excuse?

A "winning" team is a bit different for the Hurricanes than a "winning" team for the Dolphins.

Hurricanes went 9-3 last season and want everyone fired.

Dolphins win 75% of their games and that's a HUGE deal.

Hurricane fans want to compete for national titles or they're just not going to care. It sucks but that's the reality of the situation.

More reality is that most Hurricane fans are still looking at 2014 the same way they looked at 1987. They don't understand that the culture of the city has changed drastically and 2014 and beyond can never be 1987.

A "winning" team is a bit different for the Hurricanes than a "winning" team for the Dolphins.

Hurricane fans want to compete for national titles or they're just not going to care. It sucks but that's the reality of the situation.

More reality is that most Hurricane fans are still looking at 2014 the same way they looked at 1987. They don't understand that the culture of the city has changed drastically and 2014 and beyond can never be 1987.

I remember going to Canes game before Howard, when you could talk to another fan 100 seats away by barely raising your voice, Then, there was :our time" when you could barely hear yourself think in many a game. Now is somewhat in the middle. A stadium in Coral Gables would likely help but, never gonna happen. I've done construction in many different parts of the country, and Coral Gables is far and away the worst to try and deal with.

I don't see a new bare bones soccer stadium as an answer, and doubt it will even get built. Why does everyone forget the new Marlins stadius as an option? Is it because the owner, as impossible as it is to believe, even makes Ross look almost good? lol

Yeah. we have a couple of real gems down here in Miami. It's a damn shame that Arrison cannot buy them both out, and have Riley run all three teams.

You make some valid points. However, I think if a soccer team is going to work here, it has to be downtown. There is a much larger South American and European population in the downtown/Miami Beach area. I just don't see an MLS team working in broward county. The canes should play closer to campus and a 40,000 seat stadium would be fine. I agree that Sun Life is much better than the OB, and if the Dolphins were to build a new stadium, it would have to be in the sawgrass area. I guess in the end, if the team is winning, the fans will show up. Look at the Marlins playoff games, there were 65,000 fans and we had the best home field advantage in baseball.

Fans in Miami need to stop being so damn fickle then. Support your team for crying out loud!!! A team is not going to win the National Title every damn year!!

These are just my opinions
1. Miami plays in a big city as compared to some programs who play in "college towns", and the big city that Miami plays in there's a high number of residents who have no substantial ties to the region since they moved here from somewhere else.
2. Those college towns are usually public universities where everyone in the town has some kind of personal connection to the school whether it be as a student, alumni, faculty, grew up there etc. Miami on the other hand is a small, private university that makes up less than a percent of the town/region.
3. Considering 1,2 that means almost all of Miami's potential fanbase really has no personal connection to the university compared to other schools such as FSU and UF (not necessarily arguing these two have "better fans"). These people simply just will not show up if the product isn't fantastic.
4. Miami's sports fans are extremely fair weathered. Just look at Game 6 of the 2013 NBA finals if you need a reference.
5. Considering 1-4, UM football might as well just be considered a professional sports team in the eyes of Miami fans
6. If you don't win in Miami, they don't show up and sometimes when they get too comfortable with you winning they have a hard time filling up every game (like the Heat). I don't necessarily know how it works in other cities, but ive lived here all my life except for 4 years of college and i know that's how it works in Miami. Spending energy trying to change sports fans' attitudes in this area is like trying to count to infinity; you're wasting your time.

In Conclusion, an extremely accurate Miami equation reads More Wins= More People
I'm not to too big on blaming fans in the entertainment industry. If there's a bad relationship between the producer and consumer in entertainment, I believe it's the producers fault every time. The producer is the one that needs to entice the consumer, not the other way around. Miami is and always will have the potential to be a huge money market for a professional team, it's the job of that team to get fans in the venue.

Sun Life is a crummy stadium compared to the rest of the NFL. Would be amped if the Canes left for a better stadium.

Sun Life is a crummy stadium compared to the rest of the NFL. Would be amped if the Canes left for a better stadium.

In all due respect, how many games have you been to here, and how many from other NFL teams? I've been to over 100 between Phins and Canes, OB and Robbie Stadium, and around 20 out of state, and disagree.

Miami just needs to get back to a top level program. They easily can get 60 plus in that stadium no problem when there's a formidable program in there or the canes are a top team. Hell this year when Miami was #7 and 4-3 wake forest came in they drew 65+. Miami's problem is the talent on the field, you fix that and you will fix the attendance issue. Kind of similar to how some people were blaming the Fins' problems on low attendance rather than the room temperature collection of talent Jeff Ireland took 6 years to assemble. It's just that plain and simple in big market cities, you win and they will show up.

Many label such fans band wagon but some people love the team and ask themselves why should i devote time in my life and waste money in my account for live disappointment when i can do it at home for free and i have the power off button to defend my precious time.

Would Miami really be able to fill 40k stadium for soccer?

Im not being prejudice as my point of view has zero research and only a narrow South Florida reference as it pertains to population but arent Cubans the over-whelming majority of the latin population? If so, Cubans loooove baseball and look at the Marlins.

Id like to read commentary from others on this especially white folks ( my skin is pink white but i am of Cuban descent).

Fans in Miami need to stop being so damn fickle then. Support your team for crying out loud!!! A team is not going to win the National Title every damn year!!

We were spoiled. You cant give me a decade and then some of a power house and then expect me to have the enthusiasm to not be bummed at anything short. Accustomed to caviar and served cat food? Penthouse to poor house? It aint that simple brotha.

I find it fascinating when people declare SunLife a dump. It certainly is not.
It may not be what everybody wants but it is a quite loud stadium when there is reason to cheer. During the 90s it was a loud stadium at times. But several things happened in the 90s. We were used to success with playoff appearances from the 80s and early 90s so just making the playoffs was not good enough. The next decade we sucked. Look at games like NE this year when it was extremely loud.

That SunLife is a reason that we do not have homefield advantage is a myth. You know what was a dump? The Orange Bowl. That was a dump at the end.

The Orange Bowl had character, soul. Joe Robbie, Dolphin, Pro Player, Land Shark, Orange Carpet piece of crap, Miramar, middle of nowhere whatever Sun Life nonsense is Garbage, Dump.
Checked out Cowboys Stadium? How about Gillette, or Invesco? Seen Seattle's Field. Sun Life is a Joke. Largest Upper in the NFL, widest sidelines. Farthest from the field. The Orange Bowl rumbled, we won AFC Championship games there, beat the undefeated Bears their, real history happened there. Sun Life is Garbage, Mediocre 1987 nonsense.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

The Orange Bowl was a dump. Sun Life Stadium, albeit not necessarily modern, is not a dump.

Sun Life is a Double Decker Dump.

The Orange Bowl had character, soul. Joe Robbie, Dolphin, Pro Player, Land Shark, Orange Carpet piece of crap, Miramar, middle of nowhere whatever Sun Life nonsense is Garbage, Dump.
Checked out Cowboys Stadium? How about Gillette, or Invesco? Seen Seattle's Field. Sun Life is a Joke. Largest Upper in the NFL, widest sidelines. Farthest from the field. The Orange Bowl rumbled, we won AFC Championship games there, beat the undefeated Bears their, real history happened there. Sun Life is Garbage, Mediocre 1987 nonsense.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

In the middle of nowhere? I don't think you have ever been to SunLife.

The Orange Bowl rumbled when we were good but we also had stinkers and was as quiet as a cemetery. You are doing selective history and you are talking to the wrong person here. I have been more often to the Orange Bowl and SunLife than you changed your underwear. Don't forget, I hold season tix with the Dolphins for decades. And UM is also frequently on the agenda. Have you ever been to the Orange Bowl with 30k? UM had that more often than not. The stadium with the soul is rather soulless as well.

Comparing SunLife to a brand new stadium or stadiums half its age is never good. Plus Gilette had never experienced a sucky team. But that will come too. SunLife needs some improvements but being 25 years old does it not make it an outdated stadium. Stadiums have a life span well over 50 years.

Many label such fans band wagon but some people love the team and ask themselves why should i devote time in my life and waste money in my account for live disappointment when i can do it at home for free and i have the power off button to defend my precious time.

Would Miami really be able to fill 40k stadium for soccer?

Im not being prejudice as my point of view has zero research and only a narrow South Florida reference as it pertains to population but arent Cubans the over-whelming majority of the latin population? If so, Cubans loooove baseball and look at the Marlins.

Id like to read commentary from others on this especially white folks ( my skin is pink white but i am of Cuban descent).

Ive lived here most of my life, Miami is a bandwagon town it's just as simple as that. I don't see any point in trying to correct behavior that's out of a team's control, but rather control what they can and that's to try and create a winning product. I'm not saying neglect the fans, but Stephen Ross spent a ton of time and resources trying to make the fins more appealing to South Florida in many ways that had nothing to do with the quality of play on the field. I just think it's a waste of time and money. He's pretty transfixed on enhancing the gameday experience for the fans, but really all he has to do to enhance it is do his best to put a winning product on the field. No one wants to sit in Club Liv in the stadium as Tannehill gets sacked for the 7th time in the first half. As for the Marlins, there's a vast array of factors going against them. I know for sure though if the Marlins were winning the division or in the wild card hunt in the later months that place would be filled.

Remember it's called NO LIFE Stadium. Because it is the quietest stadium in the NFL and has the least amount of life in it at home games

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Would love to have a stadium built like Seattles.

Back
Top Bottom