Hyde says : | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde says :

Originally posted by Muck

What are you talking about?? I wasn't even responding to you. I was responding to the person who implied that Gruden took the same players Dungy had and made them a potential dynasty. Regardless, I don't see anything in your initial response to the same quote that correlates with my post. I didn't expand on anything.

So because they started 9-2 automatically means their offense was on track?? Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about here. As I stated above, their offense did not get on track until late in the season. The offensive line was just that....offensive. That defense held the fort in the meanwhile. And they usually struggled to score TDs. Usually didn't reach the endzone until late in the 3rd or early in the 4th.

My bad. It looked as if you were responding to me because your response about Gruden came right after my post of Gruden. But regardless about the arguments made afterwards about the defense, offense, and how many points they scored in which quarter, etc., there is one key fact to note. And that is they won the superbowl. Whether it was the defense, offense, special teams, Shaun King, Rob Johnson, Brad Johnson who scored the TDs, the bottom line is they won it all. And what a coincidence it was the year they got a new proven head coach. Everyone and their mothers new TB had the ability to win it, they just needed someone to give them motivation and say "You will be Superbowl champions by the time I leave here" and that is exactly what Gruden said when he walked in the first day of practice last year. That type of positive and firey attitude I can only wish the Dolphins had from a head coach.

Originally posted by RikWriter

Wrong. Wanny CHOSE these players. Huizenga gave him the money to spend and the rope with which to hang himself and Wanny didn't waste any time doing it. He simply can't prepare this team to win.
Remember Tampa Bay? Everyone kept saying "Dungy's a good coach, it's just the players..."
And then Gruden came in and made those same players into a potential dynasty.
It's the coaching. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Hi rik! remember me? im the one everyone loved to hate becuase i spoke with reason while others yelled and screamed all day. hows boxer shorts doing?

Originally posted by finfan54

Hi rik! remember me? im the one everyone loved to hate becuase i spoke with reason while others yelled and screamed all day. hows boxer shorts doing?

Matt is fine...as demanding and perfectionist as ever. :D

Shaun King was pitiful as a replacement and Rob Johnson was only marginally better. They were very lucky Brad Johnson came back in form.

Motivation is not Rah Rah BS

Anyone who thinks that today's player does not need to be motivated is deluding himself and giving the players way too much credit. Modern players may have better conditioning and more money but that's about all the improvement over players of last generation. The fact is that very few players are leaders or self starters. Kerry Collins has at least as much talent as Brett Favre but is nowhere near as good a quarterback. And anyway getting players prepared for a game involves way more than the psycological aspect. Modern teams have assistant coaches for each skill position. These assistant coaches are supposed to make sure that each player has his assignment down pat. For example, Fiedler got sacked on a weak side blitz on Sunday and there were two guys who were not picked up. Play all the tape you want, that never happened to Marino. Maybe one guy, two no way. Ricky was standing on the strong side blocking no one. Lack of preparation.

Then late in the game when we had it in the bag, some bonehead makes a call for a far side out-route. Now I know that none of us here thinks that Fiedler is calling his own plays out there. However somehow either Norv looks down on the field and thinks that it's Troy Aikman out there. I don't care how good your press is, if you cannot adjust under gametime situations, you cannot be considered a great coach. Criticize Steve Spurrier all you want (I can't stand the guy either) but with 6 minutes on the clock 'Skins up by 7, Spurrier would be looking for more points. We keep playing the prevent offense down here and it is truly offensive to watch

Prevent offense would be running the ball and running the clock out. They went risky by throwing it (after penalties). Unless you were using the term "prevent offense" figureatively.

I used the term not referring to that one play, but rather the coaching of the entire second half. If they had not been so conservative they would not have had to throw that pass. If the defense is overly aggressive, you can pick them apart with screens and 5 yard passes to #81. This is basic football not rocket science. And again I blame the coaches for not knowing their personnel. Fiedler cannot throw the far side out-route. This has been a source of consternation among my friends and in my office for the past two years. Even if it was my sister in coverage, she would intercept. Bad, bad coaching

Let me throw my hat in the ring by asking a question. How many people believe the Patriots won that Super Bowl because of their players?

Damn... good point.

Originally posted by GridIron
Let me throw my hat in the ring by asking a question. How many people believe the Patriots won that Super Bowl because of their players?

Errr... that about says it all.

Back
Top Bottom