I am not too excited about the big 3 RB's in this draft...are you? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I am not too excited about the big 3 RB's in this draft...are you?

OK im not to hyped about the runningbacks either but with a decent line this year and a decent passing game with linehan and Dolphins weapons (chambers booker mcmichael) i think anyone of these guys will be good and get the job done but at the #2 pick you expect a lot more from the player you draft especially since there is a possibility of picking up smith edwards and williams if niners pick up rodgers

Tommatt said:
Mike WIlliams

Honestly do you see any disadvantage to him not playing football last year? Just out of curiousity.

I could see how it could make his adjustment to the NFL a bit tougher, but then again I could see myself being wrong. ;)

JHWAUEX said:
Honestly do you see any disadvantage to him not playing football last year? Just out of curiousity.

I could see how it could make his adjustment to the NFL a bit tougher, but then again I could see myself being wrong. ;)

Normally I would a little bit, but he may not have played football for a year, instead, he worked out with Chris Carter. I'm sure he learned more from Mr. TD himself, than by winning another national championship.

Tommatt said:
Normally I would a little bit, but he may not have played football for a year, instead, he worked out with Chris Carter. I'm sure he learned more from Mr. TD himself, than by winning another national championship.

Good point. If you had to learn from a receiver it would without a doubt be him or Jerry Rice. Trustworthy hands indeed.

knight6jb said:
No actually Caddy weighed in at 217, so you are right he isnt the same weight as Edge, he is BIGGER!!! Edge ways 214! nice try!
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133320

I would think that such a huge Caddy fan would know more about him. He has always played at 200-2004 pounds. There was a story that said how he wanted to bulk up for the combine to help seperate himself from the others. Written on ESPN's insider, by Mel Kiper I believe. That's nearly 15 pounds he gained in a couple of weeks. Can you say fluids? There is no way he stays at 217 during an NFL season, especially in Miami, unless of course he wants to take a chance on slowing down a little......

It's not a matter of "nice try". I've said it over and over that I like Caddy, you go ahead and keep thinking he's a 500 pound mammouth who can run a 4.3....http://www.auburntigers.com/football/page.cfm?doc_id=717

Ozzy said:
I would think that such a huge Caddy fan would know more about him. He has always played at 200-2004 pounds. There was a story that said how he wanted to bulk up for the combine to help seperate himself from the others. Written on ESPN's insider, by Mel Kiper I believe. That's nearly 15 pounds he gained in a couple of weeks. Can you say fluids? There is no way he stays at 217 during an NFL season, especially in Miami, unless of course he wants to take a chance on slowing down a little......

It's not a matter of "nice try". I've said it over and over that I like Caddy, you go ahead and keep thinking he's a 500 pound mammouth who can run a 4.3....http://www.auburntigers.com/football/page.cfm?doc_id=717

So you think Caddy put on 13LBs of straight water weight, probably not unless he was on deca? Well hell he still ran the same time as Ronnie Brown, so in reality, he much be much faster without the water weight..... It wont surprise me if he isnt playing at 217, but he will be playing somewhere between 210-215 in the NFL in almost sure of that. Regardless Edge weighs 214, like your link says Caddy was 204 at Auburn, thats 10lbs not 15 like you said. and anyway do you think it is really hard for all players to put on 10-15lbs? Football is these players lives, day in and day out. With stregth training, and proper nutrition anyone of them could gain or lose 10-15lbs easily.

I would be happy with Carnell at #2 (some would not, whatever) but his body is nearly at it's limit as far as adding muscle to his frame. There is a difference between adding 10 to 15 pounds, and maintaining that weight during a rigorous training camp and season. If Miami selects Carnell, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the season at 200-205 pounds- and that would accentuate his natural abilities anyway.

knight6jb said:
So you think Caddy put on 13LBs of straight water weight, probably not unless he was on deca? Well hell he still ran the same time as Ronnie Brown, so in reality, he much be much faster without the water weight..... It wont surprise me if he isnt playing at 217, but he will be playing somewhere between 210-215 in the NFL in almost sure of that. Regardless Edge weighs 214, like your link says Caddy was 204 at Auburn, thats 10lbs not 15 like you said. and anyway do you think it is really hard for all players to put on 10-15lbs? Football is these players lives, day in and day out. With stregth training, and proper nutrition anyone of them could gain or lose 10-15lbs easily.

Water gain is easy, as pointed out to me by CK in another thread on this topic. There are so many water gain pills out there. I've herd, and read that Caddy was more like 195-200 so many times thruout college. I was giving him the benefit of doubt because the official site listed him at 204. You don't just put on a natural 10-15 pounds in a couple of weeks time when you've always been a certain weight. A whole season of sweating in Miami is a lot different than a lot of places. Two a days, scrimmages, and then games on Sunday will make it very hard to keep any kind of extra weight on someone who is trying to keep 10-15 extra pounds on a slimmer built body frame. Tim Bowens might not have trouble gaining weight during that same time, but I doubt that about Caddy. What he would have to do is add muscle mass, and that's very hard for slimmer built Rb types. Hard to keep anyway, you gain muscle mass, yet lose body fat, which also can lead to hamstring injuries, cramps, and possible torn ligaments.

TeeMoney said:
I would be happy with Carnell at #2 (some would not, whatever) but his body is nearly at it's limit as far as adding muscle to his frame. There is a difference between adding 10 to 15 pounds, and maintaining that weight during a rigorous training camp and season. If Miami selects Carnell, I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the season at 200-205 pounds- and that would accentuate his natural abilities anyway.

I'm not so sure about any of the 3 Rb's in that slot, but either way, I'd love to end up with one of the three.

That's a great way to put it. Carnell is such a stop and go runner, who can use good burst to get to the lanes. I'd hate to see him lose any of that by adding too much. BUT, if his body can take, and adapt to that added weight, that could be good. I just doubt it, and can surely be wrong.

Ozzy said:
Water gain is easy, as pointed out to me by CK in another thread on this topic. There are so many water gain pills out there. I've herd, and read that Caddy was more like 195-200 so many times thruout college. I was giving him the benefit of doubt because the official site listed him at 204. You don't just put on a natural 10-15 pounds in a couple of weeks time when you've always been a certain weight. A whole season of sweating in Miami is a lot different than a lot of places. Two a days, scrimmages, and then games on Sunday will make it very hard to keep any kind of extra weight on someone who is trying to keep 10-15 extra pounds on a slimmer built body frame. Tim Bowens might not have trouble gaining weight during that same time, but I doubt that about Caddy. What he would have to do is add muscle mass, and that's very hard for slimmer built Rb types. Hard to keep anyway, you gain muscle mass, yet lose body fat, which also can lead to hamstring injuries, cramps, and possible torn ligaments.

What about Ricky Williams?? He seemed to change weight alot, going up and down many of time. You also do realize these guys have strength training coaches and nutrition coaches, and yes in all reality it is not hard to put on or loss 10-15lbs in a month or so. It just takes determination and hard drive to gain or lose.

It's not that someone can't gain and keep 10-15 pounds of muscle in any tropical climate. The deal with Carnell is that his body type (Ectomorphic/Mesomorphic) and frame is full.

knight6jb said:
What about Ricky Williams??

Using that example loses your argument. When Williams left the Saints he was slow and clumsy at 245 pounds. He lost the weight to play in Miami and did well. Carnell, to use the ideal RB weight of 220lbs or so, will have to gain and maintain an extra 20lbs- which will make him slow and clumsy. Now, where are those cookies....

*edit: Please don't use the "but at the combine he looked good at 217lbs and did all the agility tests and so forth" because running between orange cones in a controlled environment is not the same as, well you know.

TeeMoney said:
Using that example loses your argument. When Williams left the Saints he was slow and clumsy at 245 pounds. He lost the weight to play in Miami and did well. Carnell, to use the ideal RB weight of 220lbs or so, will have to gain and maintain an extra 20lbs- which will make him slow and clumsy. Now, where are those cookies....

*edit: Please don't use the "but at the combine he looked good at 217lbs and did all the agility tests and so forth" because running between orange cones in a controlled environment is not the same as, well you know.

And running in a straight line is not the same as on the field, tellt hat too all the Ronnie Brown lovers. Caddy without a doubt has the best vision of all RB in this draft. Who is to say that Caddy wouldnt play better at a heavier weight?? Just b/c Ricky gained his weight up (245+) does not mean that if Caddy gains weigth means he will be slow and clumpsy. and Who is to say that Caddy cannot gain weight with his body type?? I do believe your first line in your post earlier was almost identical to the one on ESPN, I believe it was Kipers??? hmmmm

knight6jb said:
What about Ricky Williams?? He seemed to change weight alot, going up and down many of time. You also do realize these guys have strength training coaches and nutrition coaches, and yes in all reality it is not hard to put on or loss 10-15lbs in a month or so. It just takes determination and hard drive to gain or lose.

What type of Rb's always seem to go up and down in weight? The thicker built ones. You don't see a fluctuation with the slimmer built, Curtis Martin types.

I think the reasons would be.......

You can have all the strength and conditioning you like, but if your body is nearly peaked in weight it is much much harder to add 10-15 pounds of lean muscle, and next to impossible in one months time. It's also not the best thing for your body. It leaves the quickly added muscle prone to ligament damage. Your strength coach will surely have you add a few pounds a month so the ligaments, and tendons can get used to the stretching they will take in the process.

Back
Top Bottom