I Am Told That The Dolphins Would Not Have Taken Josh Rosen At 11 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I Am Told That The Dolphins Would Not Have Taken Josh Rosen At 11

I'm surprised we didn't want Rosen - he seemed to embody everything Gase values in a QB from a mechanical and mental aspect. Perhaps it was the concussions or the attitude which again reared itself in his post draft press conference.

OTOH, I'm not surprised there was no interest by anyone in Jackson until the Ravens moved up.. based on perceived value. He's the mental and mechanical antithesis of what Gase prizes - and we'll leave it at that cuz he seems to be a good kid regardless. As a mid 2nd rounder I do believe the potential gain would have justified the risk but not before.

FWIW, even if we wanted him, we never could have moved up for Darnold. However, he is an interception machine, a warm weather QB with a questionable USC lineage. Granted, McShay gave him the highest QB rating in this class, a "94" which is exactly he gave Tannehill in 2012. So there's that too.

Under the circumstances, knowing that the Bills and Jets were in front of us for QBs, I'm relieved that neither ended up with Mayfield and that the Bills spent draft capital to move up to get a guy with a 56% accuracy rate in a weak weak conference including a few games that looked more like they were wishbone formations /less than 100yds. But that was an improvement over his 49% JUCO completion rate, so you can take that for what it's worth. Today on one of the sports talk shows, someone was bringing that up and Allen's defender was blaming the OL, the teammates, etc. Maybe I'm crazy but if anyone here is condemning Tannehill for not overcoming the same +coaching , but still wanted to spend a top 10 on Allen, they really need to reevaluate their priorities!!!

Yes, I thought they'd like Rosen so I was wrong; however I'm pretty sure they thought Rosen, Darnold and maybe even Allen would go before Mayfield - who would have been worth a trade up. So much for that idea, eh?

Now there are other QBs who could well be better than Allen, Darnold and maybe Rosen. You know, mid round QBs like Wilson, Brady, Montana. They could well include include Falk, Lauletta, Woodside and/or White. Who's to say they're not on our radar or that with more seasoning ala Rodgers they might not end up better than the flavors du jour???

Now instead of P &M'ing about passing on some questionable QBs , why don't you rejoice over the defensive stud, leader, perfectionist, workaholic, versatile uncompromising winner we did steal. There's a detailed thread on Minkah. Check it out.

I want Lauletta or White. I really think one of them has he chance to be better than many of the first round QBs

Like most draft years our fellow Dolphin fans are polarised with the 1st round pick, which of course should be this way otherwise it would be a boring world & forum!

I have to say Minkah looks like a great defensive back prospect & glad he is a Dolphin but feel it was a rather conservative pick made by the FO.

I admired the aggressiveness of the Bills, Ravens & past years Eagles front office in the draft which seems to be lacking from our FO.

Who knows if Josh Allen will make it in the NFL with his reported passing accuracy issues in college (btw, Marino & Favre all had low 50's passing accuracy rates coming out of college) or if Lamar Jackson ends up being Patty White 2.0, but these kind of moves do re-invigorate a fan base & at least give them some hope & energy for the future or at least the journey to get there, which has been sorely missing in South Florida.

Yes, the old oldage is defense wins Championships, but the NFL is shifting this momentum year by year by enhancing rules that favour a passing league. The Eagles defense only really turned up in the last qtr of the Superbowl to put a final nail in the coffin for the Pats but before that it was their offense which was blowing teams away, the same with the Pats the year before that including the Falcons.

We really needed a QB who is better than average which T-Hill is after almost 7 years on our team. It was our opportunity to at least make a move for one in Josh Rosen instead of letting the Cardinals jump past us from in my opinion a very talented QB pool which would set us up in good stead for the future.

This also probably means we are now committed to T-Hill & Gase for at least another 2 years, since next year's QB draft class looks poor. Its also unfair on people to put pressure on T-Hill by stating he will be our QB to get us to the superbowl or a deep playoff run. For heaven's sake he's a converted WR out of college that has done well to carve out a QB position, but you can see the difference when both healthy between T-Hill & Luck coming out of their draft.

Please don't now bother picking the average rated QBs in the later rounds such as Rudolph or White, its simply a wasted pick & too much of a hit & miss with the very rare exceptions of Wilson & Brady & more times than often these 2nd tier QBs's deficiencies get shown up in the NFL.

I fear us not making a move to solidify our QB future from a talented pool of 1st round QBs this year, when other divisional rivals have may set us back a few years when the T-Hill era is finally over - rant over & hope I'm wrong though!

Last edited:
I believe the Dolphins' QB interest ended after the first overall pick was announced. I think the two guys they zeroed in on were Smith and Minkah, and their plan to continuously push the QB narrative paid off when Arizona jumped a team that was sure to go defense.
People were fooling themselves if they thought the Dolphins were going to pick a quarterback in the first round

It's a super stupid and thoughtless move for Grier to say/admit/expose that they actually thought about moving up for a QB - what's the point of that to your current QB? "Light a fire under his ***" ? I don't see how that builds any positive energy inside the building... doesn't give the players playing with RT any faith in him either.

Is our GM really that dense?
it's common sense man, our QB hasn't played football in 20 months and there are 4qbs available. They would be lying if they said anything othwrwise.

As soon as the Cardinals logo popped up at 10 I hooted and said "Minkah Fitzpatrick- come on down!"

People were fooling themselves if they thought the Dolphins were going to pick a quarterback in the first round
A QB was never in the plans in the first round for the Phins, all smoke screen IMO. I love the Fitz pickup, but was surprise that they didn't go LB with Edmunds still on the board.

I really thought it was blatantly obvious all along we weren't going QB. I honestly can't believe anyone didn't see it. Nobody shows there cards before the draft like the fins were doing, nobody. I know many think our FO is dumb and maybe some thought they were dumb enough to tell everyone what they were doing so I can kind of see that. Here's the timeline of events:

1. We never really did much with Darnold or Allen because it was never believed they'd be there at 11, waste of time for our smokescreen.
2. Initially Mayfield was perceived as the most likely to drop to 11, surprise, surprise the fact that Adam Gase LOVES Mayfield is leaked to the media.
3. As time goes on it appears Josh Rosen is becoming the most likely QB to be available at 11, even bigger surprise it's leaked to the media that Adam Gase is obsessed with Josh Rosen.
As if that wasn't enough to rule out QB
4. For good measure we spend some time with the guy who is perceived to be the 5th best option Lamar Jackson, maybe, just maybe we can get another team to trade above us.
Now we are at the most obvious time in the whole thing
5. It's leaked to the media that Ryan Tannehill got a vote of confidence that he's the 2018 starter even if Miami drafts a QB in the 1st round just hours, that's right hours before the draft.

LOL, LOL, LOL I was born at night but not last night. That last icing should have had every Dolphins fans crossing QB off their lists.

I'll admit , it was an intial gut punch to see the Cards jump us (I wanted Rosen badly) BUT after sleeping on it, I feel better about it & understand . Also we did need help for our D very badly and got a great safety so thats good at least . And hey, at least we didn't draft Vea which probably would have shut down the board haha !

It's a super stupid and thoughtless move for Grier to say/admit/expose that they actually thought about moving up for a QB - what's the point of that to your current QB? "Light a fire under his ***" ? I don't see how that builds any positive energy inside the building... doesn't give the players playing with RT any faith in him either.

I thinks its likely that conversation has already been had between QB and team long before this public announcement. Our QBs been injured the last 2 years. He would know the team has to hedge its bet on him.

I believe the Dolphins' QB interest ended after the first overall pick was announced. I think the two guys they zeroed in on were Smith and Minkah, and their plan to continuously push the QB narrative paid off when Arizona jumped a team that was sure to go defense.

I think you are spot on

thankfully the cardinals bought our smokescreen.
Why? Were you worried that we'd take Rosen next or that the Raiders would trade with another team who wanted Fitz?

Top 10 trade ups are for QB's, not DB's so option 2 is hardly on the table. Don't worry, we didn't take Rosen. Those of you who would have hated the pick got your wish.......it doesn't make you correct and only time will tell if it's another fail for us but at least some fans are happy this morning.

There’s 3 QBs I’m hoping for in the late rounds and that’s Lee, Litton, or Streveler. One of those 3 and I’ll be happy with the backup qb situation.

Back
Top Bottom