''I don't believe in throwing the ball. We have to run the ball to win.'' | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

''I don't believe in throwing the ball. We have to run the ball to win.''

Justasportsfan said:
Why is it so far fetched for Wanny to make such a claim when he can ramble dare say that his D will be the best in franchis history which of course would turn out to be the best in league history. Better than 1972? Give me a break. The 1972 team would've won the game against the Titans. We'll see if your D is even better than the Bucs or the Ravens D.

Because he is a defensive minded, run the ball first, coach. As I have already pointed out to you, the 1972 team had 5 HOF players on OFFENSE. The 1972 team may very well have beaten the Titans, who the hell knows. Who the hell cares?

Its nearly impossible to compare teams across eras. Showing confidence in your team by comparing them to past great teams is a way of motivating them. Plus, he just may actually believe it. Even still, there really is no fair way of compaing them. The rules are different.

Saying that you will have the best passing offense in the league is totally different. That is something that can be checked on every week. Wanny was reminded by writers last season that he promised the best rushing team in the 2nd half of the season. I am quite sure they would have reminded him about another claim as well, espcially a claim so out of character. Yet, no links....

bigmiamifan said:
He said 'you wanted to throw the ball.. you have to run to win' in disgust. Well, I'm disgusted he holds that view. At the least you have to be balanced.

Pittsburgh has shown you can win by simply running. Where has that gotten Kansas, Pittsburgh, Sand Diego with the best back in football? Huh Dave? Wake the F up idiot. You need balance moron.
Does anyone have a forwarding e-mail link to Dave Wannysh-t?:)

ood
SuperFin34 said:
Wanny stated this in the press conference and seemed pissed off that the passing games resulted in three turnovers.

''You wanted the ball thrown?'' he said in disgust, ''well, you got the ball thrown.''

How do you guys feel? I think that our talent is definitely slanted to a passing game and we can pass the ball and win. I personally feel its silly to try to squeeze a passing quarterback, a pass catching tight end and talented receivers and relegate them to blocking for a running game that is just not there. Maybe balance for this team is overrated and we need to accept the talent on hand.

Opinions?

we cant run or pass
lol we doomed

darkoak said:
Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's not objective.

I am sorry but it appears to be a biased thread against Wanny as are many. Wanny aint a great HC IMO, but like I said earlier alot of people appear to be reading WAY too much into that statement. Wanny is, was and always will be a run the ball and play tough defense coach, he wont abandon the run. That doesnt mean he wont throw, but that he wont be a 2 to 1 pass to run team.

SuperFin34 said:
Wanny stated this in the press conference and seemed pissed off that the passing games resulted in three turnovers.

''You wanted the ball thrown?'' he said in disgust, ''well, you got the ball thrown.''

How do you guys feel? I think that our talent is definitely slanted to a passing game and we can pass the ball and win. I personally feel its silly to try to squeeze a passing quarterback, a pass catching tight end and talented receivers and relegate them to blocking for a running game that is just not there. Maybe balance for this team is overrated and we need to accept the talent on hand.

Opinions?
We traded a draft pick and spent millions of $$$ to get a "throwing QB" and traded Wale to get Booker, and a 3rd round draft pick. We also spent alot to get Boston from SanDiego, and have made MANY moves to AQUIRE the players to finally have a passing game again, just to have Dumbstache deny that we are going to throw the ball...

WE sure aren't going to run it much...:rolleyes:

Here's a quote from the PBP...

"Wannstedt said Wednesday. "That's difficult for a lot of people to understand. There is nothing wrong with punting the football."

With that kind of mentality, why not say "there is nothing wrong with losing a game or two"? Now he may have meant that he would rather punt than turn the ball over, but that isnt what he said. Nothing wrong with punting the football? And some still contend that he is a good coach.

yankeehillbilly said:
Here's a quote from the PBP...

"Wannstedt said Wednesday. "That's difficult for a lot of people to understand. There is nothing wrong with punting the football."

With that kind of mentality, why not say "there is nothing wrong with losing a game or two"? Now he may have meant that he would rather punt than turn the ball over, but that isnt what he said. Nothing wrong with punting the football? And some still contend that he is a good coach.

In the context of the discussion, I think Wanny meant that a punt is much preferable to forcing a pass and getting it picked. He doesn't want the QB to try and make a play that isn't there. Just take the sack, or throw it away and let the D get it back for you. Nothing wrong with that.

That said, I would prefer seeing Wanny gone after this season, unless we make the playoffs, or fired even sooner if we go 1-4 these first five games.

Jets81 said:
Jim Mora, Denny Green, Tom Coughlin, um....there's more.
Jim Mora Jr has won his only game as HC. We dont know yet if he is better or worse than Wanny. Green has been to a conference championship game as HC, Wanny has not. Ditto coughlin. Although coughlin looks like he is destined to fail this year.

VJ1252 said:
Jim Mora Jr has won his only game as HC. We dont know yet if he is better or worse than Wanny. Green has been to a conference championship game as HC, Wanny has not. Ditto coughlin. Although coughlin looks like he is destined to fail this year.

One confrence championship does not a good coach make. I think it just comes down to Wannys style. Phin fans have been used to a high octane passing offense over the years and that's just not possible right now, and it's not Wannys style. In the current situatution, personell wise anyway, I think he's smart to run the ball first. He's stated that he may be embracing a 2 QB system this year, so he damn well better work on estabilishing a good running game first if that is to have any success.

Back
Top Bottom