''I don't believe in throwing the ball. We have to run the ball to win.'' | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

''I don't believe in throwing the ball. We have to run the ball to win.''

FinfanInBuffalo - you voted for Dukakis didn't you?

My point being, some people can think on their own and some will blindly get behind the leader, even if the leader is an idiot (DW). If we could run then we should run, but I for one am a little tired of 2nd and 12 every time.

FinsOnTop said:
FinfanInBuffalo - you voted for Dukakis didn't you?

My point being, some people can think on their own and some will blindly get behind the leader, even if the leader is an idiot (DW). If we could run then we should run, but I for one am a little tired of 2nd and 12 every time.

And I'm sick of ignorant, misinformed fans who make claims that have no basis in fact. When presented with facts that disprove their incorrect beliefs, they change the topic to something unrelated and so pointless that they have to explain their point. Get my point?

You can dislike Wanny and his coaching style if you want, but to claim the style can't work when it clearly can is ignorant.

BTW, I'm a republican.... as if that matters.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
And I'm sick of ignorant, misinformed fans who make claims that have no basis in fact. When presented with facts that disprove their incorrect beliefs, they change the topic to something unrelated and so pointless that they have to explain their point. Get my point?

You can dislike Wanny and his coaching style if you want, but to claim the style can't work when it clearly can is ignorant.

BTW, I'm a republican.... as if that matters.
It's not that it doesn't work it's just that he rarely deviates from that formula at all. It's his bread and butter. Problem is everyone in the league knows this and they exploit the weaknesses in that game plan. If we have the personell then we're fine but if we don't a change of gameplan might be in order.

DrAstroZoom said:
Here's an even more complete chunk of that quote:

"The turnovers in the first half…you’re not going to beat a good football team, you’re not going to beat any team, by turning the ball over four times. We know that. That’s something that we preach. But you do have to throw the ball. You do have to throw the ball to score points. You want the ball thrown, we got the ball thrown."

The last sentence was in reference, IMO, to the fact that once we "got the ball thrown" (31 times in the 2nd half), we scored points. I think he was more exasperated with turnovers than with "having to throw the ball...
Interesting. So what you are telling me is that the media and fans can lift a phrase out of context to make someone say something they really didn't mean.

So, it is theoretically possible that Wannstedt doesn't hate the passing game as per the previously context-lifted quote. Maybe the running game is of equal importance in a balanced system. Maybe, turnovers in the passing game are exasperating. Maybe Wannstedt didn't actually say, "I hate the passing game". Maybe he actually said that you "have to throw the ball to score points".

Dave was over the edge with that quote. You can find numerous quotes where he says the offense has to be balanced. That is true, the offense has to be able to do both. When he makes statements like this one it just reinforces my belief he is panicked and confused. He will be relieved when he is fired at seasons end. There is absolutely nothing bold about him.

darkoak said:
It's not that it doesn't work it's just that he rarely deviates from that formula at all. It's his bread and butter. Problem is everyone in the league knows this and they exploit the weaknesses in that game plan. If we have the personell then we're fine but if we don't a change of gameplan might be in order.

I understand that and you understand that, but when someone complains that his philosophy is from the 1940's, they are misinformed.....

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I understand that and you understand that, but when someone complains that his philosophy is from the 1940's, they are misinformed.....
Well at the heart of it that's where the Wanny hate comes from. Some people can't put it into words properly. I mean sometimes when I'm watching the Dolphins play I'm so frustrated I CAN'T PUT IT INTO WORDS. But enough is enough. I ask my friend who is a Steelers fan " How can you guys keep a coach that you don't win the Superbowl with? ". He says "because I like how he teaches his guys to play football. " I don't like how Wanny teaches this team. That's the honest truth.

darkoak said:
Well at the heart of it that's where the Wanny hate comes from. Some people can't put it into words properly. I mean sometimes when I'm watching the Dolphins play I'm so frustrated I CAN'T PUT IT INTO WORDS. But enough is enough. I ask my friend who is a Steelers fan " How can you guys keep a coach that you don't win the Superbowl with? ". He says "because I like how he teaches his guys to play football. " I don't like how Wanny teaches this team. That's the honest truth.

You are entitled to that opinion. I don't think Wanny is considered a great teacher either. Whether that is true or not is hard to tell. The fans get a filtered view of reality. If you're not a good teacher, you better have assistants who are. Marc Trestman and Jerry Sullivan get good grades around the league for their abilities.

I believe that Wanny has several strengths as a coach:

1. He keeps the team under control emotionally. Never too high or too low. The team has suffer through very few losing streaks during Wanny's tenure.

2. I believe he has selected good assistant coaches and is unafraid of having assistants on his staff that could be a threat to his job.

3. Contrary to popular belief, I think Wanny leaves the specific tactics in the gameplan and the gameday play calling to his assistant coaches.

4. I believe his fundamental approach to the game is sound.

5. He has a good relationship with his players.

He also has weaknesses:

1. He hasn't demonstrated a creative flair for strategies.

2. He isn't a great motivator.

3. Maybe he is too close to the players.

4. He doesn't have the reputation of some other coaches.

5. His preferred philosophy is not as exciting as the WCO or a wide open passing attack.

6. He is not a great public speaker.

7. People don't like his moustache.

I tend to get involved in these debates when people start tossing around over the top criticism or blatant untruths. I don't really care if anyone prefers to have Wanny as the HC. I just have a philosophical problem with allowing uninformed statements to go unchallenged.

Wanny can't rightfully be considered a great coach until he takes a team to the SB or has a team that abviously over achieves. Thats fine with me. My contention is that a totally clueless coach does not average 10 wins per year with a team that lacks sufficient talent on offense.

Cowher is one of the most over rated coaches in the league. Miami fans complain that Wanny stuck with Fiedler too long. Hell, Cowher stuck with Kordell 'freakin' Stewart.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Cowher is one of the most over rated coaches in the league. Miami fans complain that Wanny stuck with Fiedler too long. Hell, Cowher stuck with Kordell 'freakin' Stewart.
I think you are right on this in some respects. Stewart did have amazing talent and athletic ability, he just didn't have a head for the game.

Oh, dudes, all the coaches say you have to run the ball to win.
doesn't matter who or what team.

kitnarules said:
Oh, dudes, all the coaches say you have to run the ball to win.
doesn't matter who or what team.
Of course you do, it's just that delicate mix of run and pass that makes a team succeed. I think what alot of people on here are upset about is that when we are down or not getting anywhere with the run, the philosophy is to continue at the exact same level all game. You shouldn't give up on the run but if you're down by 14 in the fourth quarter you need to be able to pass effectively. Everyone knows that Jay couldn't do that consistently and they attribute that failure to Wanny and his initial gameplan. Basically the Dolphins should have tried throwing down field earlier with a quarterback that can do that. This is the heart of the Wanny debate.

heh I can see some of you want a fun and gun offense.

YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT WANNY? How about JJ's idea of "run, run, run, and punt" system?
clear.gif
clear.gif

FinfanInBuffalo said:
I had no trouble finding the quote about leading the league in RUSHING, along with the direct quote about NOT being a great passing offense.

Yet no linky for the great passing offense.... Hmmmm, I wonder why. Google hasn't indexed the shared delusions of you and Justa, perhaps?

Delusions huh?

Your simply being as A$$ on this and that's all there is to it.
This article was in the offseason not during the season. It was during a different time period altogether. You want to keep talking out of your arse just because an article isn't indexed on Google go ahead. If google isn't pulling it up it dosen't exist huh? :lol:
All I was saying is I follow the Dolphins religiously and I remember that press conference. I haven't found an archive that lists all the past PC's of Wanny but rest assured if I do I'll be sure and remind you what a conceited and close minded arse you were.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Why is it so far fetched for Wanny to make such a claim when he can ramble dare say that his D will be the best in franchis history which of course would turn out to be the best in league history. Better than 1972? Give me a break. The 1972 team would've won the game against the Titans. We'll see if your D is even better than the Bucs or the Ravens D.

Trekbiz said:
Delusions huh?

Your simply being as A$$ on this and that's all there is to it.
This article was in the offseason not during the season. It was during a different time period altogether. You want to keep talking out of your arse just because an article isn't indexed on Google go ahead. If google isn't pulling it up it dosen't exist huh? :lol:
All I was saying is I follow the Dolphins religiously and I remember that press conference. I haven't found an archive that lists all the past PC's of Wanny but rest assured if I do I'll be sure and remind you what a conceited and close minded arse you were.

What does being in the offseason have to do with it? google doesn't stop indexing in the offseason.

Justa also claimed he posted about it on this message board. The messages on this board are indexed also. I couldn't find it there either.

Isn't it just possible that you are incorrect? Isn't it totally out of character for Wanny?

I'll be waiting.....

Back
Top Bottom