''I don't believe in throwing the ball. We have to run the ball to win.'' | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

''I don't believe in throwing the ball. We have to run the ball to win.''

SuperFin34 said:
...''You wanted the ball thrown?'' he said in disgust, ''well, you got the ball thrown.''

Opinions?
Well, please provide a link to the quote that says "I don't believe in throwing the ball."

In spite of all the over-reactions that us fans have...this is what Wanns really said at the press conference...

"You do have to throw the ball. You have to throw the ball to score points. You wanted the ball thrown...we got the ball thrown."
The tone was very matter of fact. I'm not sure where the "he said in disgust" part came in. But, that is certainly nice spin.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
How convenient for you.....

Here is the relevant DIRECT QUOTE:

Here is another paragraph:

What is your story now?
nope, that wasn't the quote. It was last year going into the season. The fact that another finfan comfirms having read it says that there was such a quote. It doesn't matter anyways, We shall see if the fins have a better D than 1973. Some people say that the closest D that came to the 73 fins were the Ravens D when they won the sb . Let's see if Wanny's D even comes close to the bucs sb winning D. If you notice both D's won the sb. Let's see if Wanny is even close.

When Shula had Csonka he ran the ball, then he got Marino he threw it.

A coach has to use the strenghts of his team to best win the game. Chambers, Booker, McMike, Konrad, and a shifty Minor the strenghts are obviously not power running. What's wrong with a dink and dunk offence, outs, slants, hooks, screens, draws, ect... occasional deep pass to keep the D honest. The Patriots are masters of that offense and we have the talent to do it.

Just my thoughts

Justasportsfan said:
nope, that wasn't the quote. It was last year going into the season. The fact that another finfan comfirms having read it says that there was such a quote. It doesn't matter anyways, We shall see if the fins have a better D than 1973. Some people say that the closest D that came to the 73 fins were the Ravens D when they won the sb . Let's see if Wanny's D even comes close to the bucs sb winning D. If you notice both D's won the sb. Let's see if Wanny is even close.

You are wrong. Typcial of you to not admit it.....

Nobody confirmed it. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

I also noticed you ignored the fact that the 1972-1973 Fins had 5 HOF players on offense.....

MDFINFAN said:
NE show us that that doesn't work too well, they've been doing it for awhile. Even thought they've had success with the short pass offense it's not normal.
they won 2 SBs so whatever they were doing has been working. Also, they didnt have the talent to run the ball. we will see how they do this year with dillon.

mellovesthefins said:
why did we just spend all that $$ on the WR core? LOL.

:lol:

Great point.
Let's take it even further.
Why on earth did we even try to upgrade QB and give up a second rounder?
We should have traded the second rounder for A-Train from Chitown AND traded for Lamar Gordon. We could just have an all RB backfield. They could both take turns being the RB and QB.

We could have been the only wishbone offense run in the NFL! :lol:

PhinstiGator said:
Well, please provide a link to the quote that says "I don't believe in throwing the ball."

In spite of all the over-reactions that us fans have...this is what Wanns really said at the press conference...

The tone was very matter of fact. I'm not sure where the "he said in disgust" part came in. But, that is certainly nice spin.

Here's an even more complete chunk of that quote:

The turnovers in the first half…you’re not going to beat a good football team, you’re not going to beat any team, by turning the ball over four times. We know that. That’s something that we preach. But you do have to throw the ball. You do have to throw the ball to score points. You want the ball thrown, we got the ball thrown.

The last sentence was in reference, IMO, to the fact that once we "got the ball thrown" (31 times in the 2nd half), we scored points. I think he was more exasperated with turnovers than with "having to throw the ball."

As far as the larger question goes, it just makes sense: teams whose defense are their strength need to run the ball more than they throw it.

Justasportsfan said:
Now you ask for a link because you saw my point. He said it last year when Norv was here. Go look for it in the official board. I even made fun of it here on FH . You probably weren't posting here then. Just like you were able to find the Marv Levy retiring story , go find it yourself.

Wanny did say that after they made some offseason changes that we'd have one of the best passing games in the league.
Not the best but one of the best. I remember that vividly because I almost fell out of my chair laughing when he said it.

FinfanInBuffalo said:
How convenient for you.....

Here is the relevant DIRECT QUOTE:

Here is another paragraph:

What is your story now?

That quote was made in midseason.
Just another idiot remark from him. He knew he had no OL. Wishful thinking from him if anything.
The Wanny quote about the passing game was made in the offseason.
As I said before I remember him saying that vividly because I almost fell out of my chair from laughing. I don't know where to find it right now but I do remember him saying it.

Trekbiz said:
That quote was made in midseason.
Just another idiot remark from him. He knew he had no OL. Wishful thinking from him if anything.
The Wanny quote about the passing game was made in the offseason.
As I said before I remember him saying that vividly because I almost fell out of my chair from laughing. I don't know where to find it right now but I do remember him saying it.

I still don't believe it.

Find me a link or, as far as I'm concerned, he never said it.

He may have expressed his opinion that the passing game would improve in the second year under Norv Turner, but I highly doubt he called it great and I'm sure that Justasportsfan is on crack if he thinks Wanny said it would be the best in the league.

I found a link where he clearly states they won't have a great passing game, find me one where he says they will.

FinfanInBuffalo said:

He may have expressed his opinion that the passing game would improve in the second year under Norv Turner, but I highly doubt he called it great and I'm sure that Justasportsfan is on crack if he thinks Wanny said it would be the best in the league.

I found a link where he clearly states they won't have a great passing game, find me one where he says they will.

Believe it or not, that's not my concern.

I could go all out trying to find a link to a story that's over a year old but I'm just no going to put that much effort into this.
I do remember him saying it though.
He did'nt say our passing game would be the best but he did say it would be one of the best in the league.
He was under a lot of pressure from the media as well as rumored rumblings from players and coaches about the offensive philosophy we were using.
Justa wasn't pulling that out of his arse.
Just more of Wanny's BS.

C'mon we all know Wanny's a big coward when it comes to throwing. I don't care what he says, his actions show you he doesn't want his OC putting it up. His philosphy would work great, IF IT WERE THE YEAR 1940!!!

Timeout for this prayer break: Dear Jesus, please please please let Dave be tossed out of Miami on his backside as soon as possible.

OK sorry for that interruption. Where was I? Oh yeah, Dave's a coward who doesn't understand how to win in today's NFL. Next coach please.

FinfanInBuffalo said:

why would a finfan agree w/ me when I'm a bills fan? Of course you won't believe it because you're a Wanny fan. Why is it so hard for you to believe he said that when that statement was not as bad as him saying your D will be better than the 72 D?

there is grind it out, smash mouth football, which i believe Dave wants to play. that is all well and good. i love to see a team i am pulling for be able to stuff it down their opponents throats. it is fun to watch. but on the other hand, an effective passing game opens up the run as well. and this years version of the Miami Dolphins is not a smash mouth, grind it out, three yards and a cloud of dust type team. the O line and RB situations are a work in progress. Dave's inability to see this, or the stubborn denial he is in proves he is truly inept.

Justasportsfan said:
why would a finfan agree w/ me when I'm a bills fan? Of course you won't believe it because you're a Wanny fan. Why is it so hard for you to believe he said that when that statement was not as bad as him saying your D will be better than the 72 D?

blah, blah, blah, all talk but no link........

Back
Top Bottom