I don't think Will Allen can/should cover Roddy White | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I don't think Will Allen can/should cover Roddy White

The Chaos Path

I'm Rude
Reaction score
Yea I know I'm jumping ahead to game 1, but what else is the off season for. I saw every Dolphins game last year, but I always went to the bar with a friend of mine who was a Falcons fan so I caught A LOT of Falcons games. THIS is the one matchup I fear the WORST, I think we have them at least even or beat in every other matchup.

When Roddy White wants to catch a ball, he simply will. Matt Ryan was smart enough to trust White and White made him look like a genius, time and time again. Makes me wonder if it'll force us to try to double him, but then you leave the holes open for Turner to run through. Sean Smith has the size to handle a Roddy White but he doesn't have the experience.

If you noticed last year, Will Allen was NOT covering most of the big no. 1 receivers. He didn't play Randy Moss at least. So what changes now? I KNOW Will Allen won't play him, he's great I love him, but he doesn't have the size and Sparano knows it. Ugh, if it weren't for Roddy I'd feel positive about this game... oh well.

Well, like the Falcons trusted Matt Ryan, maybe we should trust Sean Smith or Vontae... You don't always get to choose who covers who. The offense schemes to create mismatches.

im worried about what freakin linebacker can keep up with gonzalez??
Roddy white is good.. but he isnt gonzalez

First of all, Roddy White is only 5'11 and a half, so the size remark is meaningless.

Secondly, Will Allen played through a serious groin injury last year and in IMO did a helll of a job considering.

Will Allen is and excellent matchup against Roddy White, but I think Vontae would do well against him as well.

Bell and Wilson will be covering him too. I feel ok with the matchup.

im worried about what freakin linebacker can keep up with gonzalez??
Roddy white is good.. but he isnt gonzalez

Hard to get open if we can have a LB'er that can put him on his butt before he has a chance to get into his route. :up:

You're gonna be fearing all season.

Week 1: Roddy White/Tony Gonzalez
Week 2: Reggie Wayne/Anthony Gonzalez/Dallas Clark
Week 3: Vincent Jackson/Antonio Gates
Week 4: Terrell Owens/Lee Evans
Week 5: Jets LOL
Week 7: Whoever catches the ball for Drew Brees
Week 8: Jets LOL Part 2
Week 9: Randy Moss/Wes Welker
Week 10: Antonio Bryant/Kellen Winslow Jr.
Week 11: Steve Smith
Week 12: TO/Lee Evans Part 2
Week 13: Moss/Welker Part 2
Week 14: Torry Holt
Week 15: Tennessee LOL
Week 16: Andre Johnson/Kevin Walter/Owen Daniels
Week 17: Santonio Holmes/Hines Ward/Heath Miller

I think we'll be fine. We've seriously upgraded talent this offseason. And our secondary wasn't really as bad as some people think last year, considering the talent we had.

Yea I know I'm jumping ahead to game 1, but what else is the off season for. I saw every Dolphins game last year, but I always went to the bar with a friend of mine who was a Falcons fan so I caught A LOT of Falcons games. THIS is the one matchup I fear the WORST, I think we have them at least even or beat in every other matchup.

When Roddy White wants to catch a ball, he simply will. Matt Ryan was smart enough to trust White and White made him look like a genius, time and time again. Makes me wonder if it'll force us to try to double him, but then you leave the holes open for Turner to run through. Sean Smith has the size to handle a Roddy White but he doesn't have the experience.

If you noticed last year, Will Allen was NOT covering most of the big no. 1 receivers. He didn't play Randy Moss at least. So what changes now? I KNOW Will Allen won't play him, he's great I love him, but he doesn't have the size and Sparano knows it. Ugh, if it weren't for Roddy I'd feel positive about this game... oh well.

I'm not sure I agree with you. Will was very solid last year. He wasn't flashy and never has been, but his years in a Phins uniform he has been pretty consistently solid. He hasn't been Pro Bowl worthy, but he is often working one on one and has done a good job.

Now that we have drafted Vontae (IMO a big upgrade over Goodman), I think Allen's good cover abilities will be more noticeable. I don't think he will get a lot of INTs, but I think the Dolphins pass D will improve as a whole.

Will Allen is a pretty damn good corner and he will not be the reason we lose this game...Now with this being the first game of the season tho there will be no trends to exploit in the offense especially with a brand new addition in TG (Is it me or does this guy do great against us every time??)...This will be a tough game and our secondary will be put up to the test for a brutal first 3 weeks...I'm just hoping our pass rush showd up, I think that will be the key to this game...But with JT + JP how can it not!!!! GO Phins

Edited 06-03-2009, 11:05 PM: This is where guys like Crowder, Bell, JP, and JT need to show up and pick up a bit of the slack as veterans give the young guys some time to figure it out in the secondary

Will Allen is a pretty damn good corner and he will not be the reason we lose this game...Now with this being the first game of the season tho there will be no trends to exploit in the offense especially with a brand new addition in TG (Is it me or does this guy do great against us every time??)...This will be a tough game and our secondary will be put up to the test for a brutal first 3 weeks...I'm just hoping our pass rush showd up, I think that will be the key to this game...But with JT + JP how can it not!!!! GO Phins

you are 100% right tony g kills us just like last year with thigpen throwing to him now he has a guy who can do it right we could be in trouble. i think jt would do well covering him he can match up with size and speed.

First game will come down to the middle of the field imo. Tony G. has had GREAT success against w/e MIA scheme or LB is on him.
First few games imo come down to simple x and 0's execution. IF MIA's youth in the secondary can keep their WR's in check and the lb's can stop the run and PASS via TE, MIA will win. If not it will be a high scoring affair.

you are 100% right tony g kills us just like last year with thigpen throwing to him now he has a guy who can do it right we could be in trouble. i think jt would do well covering him he can match up with size and speed.

Sorry I've seen firsthand Tony G. run around faster LB's and Safety's. I hope JT wasn't brought in for Pass Coverage/Man defensive schemes.

Well, good thing we leave those types of decisions for the coaching staff. Im sure they will put whoever they see best fit up against Roddy White.

Someone cited a KC-Miami game several years ago where Travis Daniels was assigned one-on-one on TG to hit him in the ribs every time he went up for the ball. After a while TG quit going up for the ball. Sounds like a good strategy to me. Can you imagine buff V Davis laying the wood to TG?

I am also hoping the pass rush is improved and Ryan will have less time to look downfield. Let him keep checking off to TG and let VD keep popping him in the ribs. TG is a little bit older than when Travis laid the wood on him.... :hump:

Roddy who?
Look don't make the falcons more than what they are, Roddy is fast, but not fantastic, if Miami DB's can stay on their feet they will be fine, and if they can pressure their qb it will also help.

Back
Top Bottom