I hope Flores gets the Texans job in spite of his Miami exit | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I hope Flores gets the Texans job in spite of his Miami exit

The Rooney rule is a great rule, but as former quarterback and current Washington executive Doug Williams said, “It’s the people, not the rule”.

While I do agree with the spirit of the Rooney rule, I don't think it is a great rule in its current form. We have too many of the people it is intended to help complaining about the interviews being held to comply with the rule. I don't feel that an employer knowing who they want for maybe the most important position on his team is a valid complaint. I could see feeling disrespected, or perhaps feeling pity, if the boss comes in with the DT shakes, but that's a personal issue of the boss. In the Giants case, it just seems the rule set up a frustrating situation, even if they knew their guy long before the interview.

I could see coaching apprenticeship programs at NFL teams being useful, to ultimately generate more qualified candidates, who executives may already be familiar with, within the NFL of diverse backgrounds. Just one idea, I don't have the answer, I'm not sure how the Rooney rule could be tweaked to prevent these token interviews from happening. Maybe full disclosure would help. Let a candidate know the position is likely filled, but we can still sit down and talk, not necessarily in person (so as not to waste said candidate's time) about possible future employment or in the unlikely best case, a change of heart.

The responses to your post certainly drives home your point

That is the truth, now he is a glorified coordinator. Funny how people forgot that after the team losing 7 straight, he ended up winning every game of the season except the Titans game. But yet Flores is just a scrub now. Funny how people stop calling him Coach Flo, but that goes to show you we got a bunch of a hypocrites.

Looks like it's down to McCown and Flores. God bless the Texans, the AFC gift that just keeps on giving...

Given our past success hiring poor coaches I would have given Flores one more year just to be sure he couldn't turn it around.
IMO Florres has doomed himself taking on John Elway, Bill Billicheat, Giants, Dolphins, the NFL and racism all at the same time. Fans love their idols like Bill and Elway.
If he could have waited until he found that next job and let his winning speak for himself then he would have a successful platform for his message instead of appearing like a scorned employee.

Back
Top Bottom