I know I'm repeating myself here but... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I know I'm repeating myself here but...

phinfan2003

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
if Dave Wannstedt is serious when he made the following comments about Rosenfels that he "should probably be the starter the way he played today." and "He knows the offense, he knows the system as well as anyone and we just have to make sure he gets a chance to compete, which he will," as well as "The best thing about Sage is that he's not approaching this as if he's the third guy. He thinks he's competing for a starting job, and that's what you expect from him." then why did we have to re-sign Fiedler? Right after the Feeley deal was made, I made the following post about giving Sage a fair shot at the starting QB spot or at least make him the backup.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=33121

I know it's only QB school but I still feel that we should have gotten rid of Fiedler and let Sage and Feeley battle it out.

phinfan2003 said:
if Dave Wannstedt is serious when he made the following comments about Rosenfels that he "should probably be the starter the way he played today." and "He knows the offense, he knows the system as well as anyone and we just have to make sure he gets a chance to compete, which he will," as well as "The best thing about Sage is that he's not approaching this as if he's the third guy. He thinks he's competing for a starting job, and that's what you expect from him." then why did we have to re-sign Fiedler? Right after the Feeley deal was made, I made the following post about giving Sage a fair shot at the starting QB spot or at least make him the backup.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=33121

I know it's only QB school but I still feel that we should have gotten rid of Fiedler and let Sage and Feeley battle it out.

Actually we shouldn't have got Feeley for a second round pick, if your not sure he's going to be the starter! I know it's early and camp hasn't really started yet but I still think he wasn't worth a second round pick!
I sure hope I'm wrong! :pray:

I know this has been beaten to death. I know this does not benefit anyone to say....but I gotta say it anyway. Rick really screwed the pooch on this qb thing. Perhaps feeley will be the real deal, but as another poster stated there is no reason to trade a second rounder for him if you are not SURE he can and will start. Also considering the plethera (sp) of qbs out there this year I cant see any reason this move makes sense. Who would prefer Feeley and no 2nd rounder next year over Collins and all our picks? Hind sight is always 20-20 but good gms know when to stay in their shoes and Rick got burned twice this year jumping too quickly. Once on AJ and once trading up one spot for Carey. I hope Rick learns from his mistakes and quickly.

Getting rid of Fiedler would not have been a good move. He is the only QB on this roster who has been a full-time starter in the past.

If Fiedler doesn't win the starting job, then he will definitely be a good backup. As for Sage, I would like to see him get a chance, and what Wanny said was promising, but I still doubt he will get a chance to become the starter this year.

bigmiamifan said:
I read that Rick made the deal because Philly was going to tender him with a first.

So they were going to take a 3rd string QB and tender him with a first round pick? Maybe that is saying something about Feeley!

Relax, Wanny was blowing smoke about Sage. I seriously doubt Dave believes in Sage, or he could have started the kid against the Jets last season to see what he could do.

Wanny is just using the media to push Feeley and Fiedler to do better. If he really believed in Sage, as at least the #2 QB, letting Jay go when we got Feeley would have been a good option. If fact, now that we are past June 1st, letting Jay go would still save us some valuable cap space, IF Sage was ready to be at least the #2.

phinfan2003 said:

I couldn't agree more if you paid me, Jay Fiedler accounting for over 4 million against our cap is travesty of a mockery of a sham.

Let Feely and Sage battle it out and sign Henson as a hedge against the future, or draft Losman. That would have been the course I would have chosen, frankly number 9 inspires no hope for the season at all in me.

Letting Fiedler go would be a huge mistake. He's certainly not the best Qb in the league but he has a hell of a lot more experience then Feeley. Better to go into the season with two above average Qb's then two guys that are relatively unproven.

Jets81 said:
Letting Fiedler go would be a huge mistake. He's certainly not the best Qb in the league but he has a hell of a lot more experience then Feeley. Better to go into the season with two above average Qb's then two guys that are relatively unproven.
Huh? What? A Jet fan making more sense than some finfans....:huh: ;)

Jets81 said:
If I was a Jets fan I'd want Fiedler starting in Miami for the next decade also, can't blame you there.

By the way, I think Herm Edwards is doing a great job for you as head coach, it would be great mistake to ever get rid of him, I say give him another ten years and let him get that thing turned around for you......unless of course Rich Kotite is still available.

iceblizzard69 said:
Getting rid of Fiedler would not have been a good move. He is the only QB on this roster who has been a full-time starter in the past.

If Fiedler doesn't win the starting job, then he will definitely be a good backup. As for Sage, I would like to see him get a chance, and what Wanny said was promising, but I still doubt he will get a chance to become the starter this year.

Do you honestly think that if Feeley is named the starting QB, Fiedler will be happy to be a backup since he's been the starter for the last 4 years? I think what's going to happen is that Fiedler will outplay Feeley in TC simply because he's more comfortable and more experienced with our system but Feeley will be chosen to start anyway (sort of what happened between Fiedler and Huard) which will make Fiedler upset and ask to be traded or released.

fiedler has had his chances. Sage has had zero. If we were to start fresh Sage should get an honest shot, at least to be the Number 2.

I have some of the same frustrations as everyone else, but I'm looking at things this way - we have 2 good young QB's in Sage and AJ, and a good backup in Fiedler, who may have to start if AJ isn't ready this year. Good QB's are very hard to come by and I don't think giving up a 2nd round pick is a big deal for a good QB. Obviously, it remains to be seen if AJ is a good QB. At least AJ has shown some ability as a pro. How would you like to be a Bengals fan and use major #1 picks with huge cap hits year after year on guys who have never proven themselves in the pros and become busts (Klingler, Akili Smith, etc)? Feeley is not that expensive and a low 2nd round pick (where we will probably draft next year) is not a huge price to pay.

I'm not worried about the down side of Feeley. I am totally convinced he will not be a complete bust, I think he's proven that much. The question is, can he be our next starting QB and be productive?

phinfan2003 said:
Do you honestly think that if Feeley is named the starting QB, Fiedler will be happy to be a backup since he's been the starter for the last 4 years? I think what's going to happen is that Fiedler will outplay Feeley in TC simply because he's more comfortable and more experienced with our system but Feeley will be chosen to start anyway (sort of what happened between Fiedler and Huard) which will make Fiedler upset and ask to be traded or released.
Excellent point, so lets take advantage of the 3 Million in cap space we can open up and cut Jay now, as you say he's just gonna whine like a little girl when he's not named starter anyway.

Back
Top Bottom