I like ronnie brown but besides Chris Johnson.... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I like ronnie brown but besides Chris Johnson....

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81aa4e61/Ronnie-Brown-51-yard-run

What more do you want him to do there? You are complaining about him not making an effort to shed the tackler? Did you even watch the replay of it before posting this thread? Look at the angle the safety had and he clearly attempted to stiff arm the defender and got brought down by his legs. He could not 'plow' over the defender from that angle and a stiff arm is difficult also to pull off... you can tell his momentum had an effect also. Ronnie looked like he wanted to get as far as he possibly could without slowing his run down. Jeeze, talk about overreaction from our biggest gain on offense all game.

Nobody is saying Ronnie Brown is a bad runningback. Why can some of you not understand that? However if player "X" has a tendency over the years and is called out on it, then all of a sudden it is implied he sucks? Great logic. However, I think that run cemented the fact IMO that he isn't worth 5 million a year or more.

So you are saying that a healthy ronnie brown is similar to Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson?

my definition of "elite" doesn't mean the best or 2nd best running back in the league.so, do you want to know if i think a healthy ronnie brown is one of the top 2 running backs in NFL, or if he is an elite running back?(if elite means (to you) that he has to be as good or better than CJ and/or AP, then no, he isn't elite)

The "problem" is that this isn't an isolated case. It has been a recurring theme his entire career. It seems he has the ability to make the first guy miss but lacks the speed to take it to the house. Odd skill set. Usually the guys that can make the first guy miss, also have the ability to finish the run.

Not an odd skill set. It's called great vision, agility, and burst without the top speed. There are plenty of backs throughout the league who have this same skill set. Some RB's have it all (LT in his hay day, Chris Johnson, Peterson). Some backs have just the breakaway speed (Michael Bennett, Jamal Charles, etc.), without the vision and agility.

This is an issue that has come up a lot on this board in the past and I just don't get it. Ronnie Brown is not the fastest guy on the field. He's not going to break 75 yard runs for TD's unless he has a good head start. What he will do is make 3 guys miss and bowl over a defender picking up 5 extra yards in the process. That is a pretty nice skill set to have. I'm just fine with RB b/c I know what he can do. Breaking huge runs is not one of them and you don't need those types of backs to win games.

BTW, at this point in his career, there is no way Ricky Williams takes that to the house. He probably would have in his hay day but he was also one of those special backs who had it all. If you want to go trade Ronnie for a speed back or not re-sign him next year b/c he doesn't have breakaway speed, go play Madden (and I'm not saying we should re-sign him, I'm just saying we shouldn't use his lack of breakaway speed as the reason).

Nobody is saying Ronnie Brown is a bad runningback. Why can some of you not understand that? However if player "X" has a tendency over the years and is called out on it, then all of a sudden it is implied he sucks? Great logic. However, I think that run cemented the fact IMO that he isn't worth 5 million a year or more.

I just don't get this rationale. So in order to make big money in the NFL as a RB, you have to have breakaway speed? You do understand that Ronnie, when healthy, has been a Top 10 RB in the league and that is without having breakaway speed. Now, if you blame his injury history, that I understand. Ronnie is getting older and has been hurt too often, so that would be reasoning for not wanting to sign him. Just don't get the other reason.

Ton's of them that's why it's only been done one time that i remember, and that was close to 30 years ago.

I think it was garrison hurst who took a hand off 96 yards for a td against the jets in ot about 10 years ago. So, less than 30 ;)

The safety had the angle on him. There was no way he was going to get out of it. Either way, Ronnnie looked pretty darn fast to me.

Umm the fact that RB has never been able to break the big one and maybe we should look towards the draft next year to bring our future runningback considering RW is not young for a rb and RB may not be worth big bucks.

Huh? Ronnie has at least two 60+ yard TD runs in his career. 65T being the longest. With plenty of 40, 50 & 60 yd runs with no TD's

The saftey had the angle on him, and he did try and break the tackle. bottom line is it was great blocking and a great run. stop compaining about nothing. few backs in the league have the speed to out run the db that has an angle on em. if he would have cut back, it was a guy trailing the play that could have caught him from behind, and possible stripped the ball.

If I had that run in Madden I definitely would have scored because I would have pressed the speed burst button over and over again.

d'oh! ronnie didn't push his speed burst button over and over again! someone should remind him... :)

Touchdown runs of 99 yards rarely happen. Very few backs break it all the way, thats the truth. CJ is the exception.

The most important thing about that run was getting out of the shadows of your own goalposts.

Ronnie has great speed for such a big back...people are saying other RBs would have scored on that run, but other RBs would have never made it out passed the LOS. Ronnie was caught by a safety, granted he could have stiff armed or done something to get passed him but he did break off a huge run when we were backed up against the wall so we can complain. People need to keep in mind Ronnie is big at 6' 230lbs, hes not one of these fast shifty backs like CJ, or Felix Jones.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81aa4e61/Ronnie-Brown-51-yard-run

What more do you want him to do there? You are complaining about him not making an effort to shed the tackler? Did you even watch the replay of it before posting this thread? Look at the angle the safety had and he clearly attempted to stiff arm the defender and got brought down by his legs. He could not 'plow' over the defender from that angle and a stiff arm is difficult also to pull off... you can tell his momentum had an effect also. Ronnie looked like he wanted to get as far as he possibly could without slowing his run down. Jeeze, talk about overreaction from our biggest gain on offense all game.
I agree. There was no cutback chance because the next player back was another Viking. AND his ability to blow through the hole is what makes him one of the best RB's in the league!

Where did I say that you are implying he sucks? Jeeze, now you are making even more stuff up. And the fact that you dodged my post and went off on another tangent suggests you know you are wrong... or you are really trying hard to make yourself believe that you're right.

Either way, now you are basing one run by Ronnie as cementing a fact that he isn't worth 5 million a year. It's getting pretty ridiculous now. Just take your loss and move on bro.

Oh so now let bash on Ricky ? How old is he ? hes not some 22 yr old anymore. I remember last yr he broke one against Carolina and shed off a tackler around the 5 and scored to lock up the win. Comon ppl stop with this BS about Ricky and Ronnie. From what i remember last yr. ppl we're complaining on here that we fell apart when we lost Ronnie due to injury. Now that hes healthy you still wanna complain. Make up ur mind what side of the fence u wanna be on.

I wasn't bashing Ricky. I was replying to someone else's post who was bashing ronnie and saying ricky would have ran that one in for a touchdown. I quoted them in my post. I was pointing out that neither Ricky or Ronnie have that break-away speed. I am ok with that. They are both tough runners who break tackles and are tough to get down.

Back
Top Bottom