I might have some News tonight....... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I might have some News tonight.......

Jamal Lewis was an injury question coming out of college too, as was Deuce McCallister. Nobody is getting on Phil Savage or Randy Mueller for "ignoring" their injury history in college. Jamal Lewis has already helped his team win a super bowl and rushed for 2000+ yards, and Deuce has been runnin wild over in New Orleans without getting significantly injured in two seasons.

You want to point at Jimmy's failure point at John Avery and JJ Johnson, my god nobody could POSSIBLY stand out as a failure more than those guys. JJJ had no ability to break tackles whatsoever, and for all Avery's speed he never picked the right hole. You spend a first round pick and a high second round pick on runningbacks, they better turn out to be better than out of the league within like 4 years. But Avery WAS the most exciting player in the XFL....lol

The advantage Ruskell may have is that he has already been through the type of organizational change the Dolphins are going through. Tampa Bay, for a long time, was a team that gave the power to the coach. That changed in 1995 when they fired Sam Wyche. They hired Rich McKay to be the GM, and McKay promoted Tim Ruskell and Jerry Angelo from within to be his top assistants. Ruskell ran the college scouting aspect while Angelo ran the pro scouting aspect.

Unfortunately, one of McKay's assistants has already flopped a bit...in Chicago. Common opinion is that Angelo's feud with Jauron took a big toll on the team's success and is now prompting those in league circles to conclude that Jauron got a 'raw deal' enough that he is a top candidate for head coaching positions.

Well, that's a case of a situation we don't want in Miami.

I think Jerry Angelo made some moves in the attempt to sabotage Dick Jauron's career. He chose not to resign the likes of Roosevelt Colvin, Ted Washington, and James Williams. These were players that were big keys in Jauron's 12-4 year in 2000.

One thing some of you will probably like about Ruskell is the fact that during the drafts he was in charge of, the Buccaneers drafted 11 players from the big three universities in Florida. Five from Florida State, four from Florida, and two from Miami.

The strong point of Tampa Bay's drafting philosophy under the McKay/Ruskell regime was that they evaluted what the players do while in pads and not what they do when they are running around on a rubber track in their underwear.

Fair enough. They've drafted some real contributors over in Tampa Bay, and not necessarily just in the first round. I like that.

Plus it should weigh on us at least a little bit that Ruskell came in and basically knocked their socks off with his ideas and his energy about turning the Dolphins into a powerhouse. Since it seems vogue among Huizenga and Jones and them that we get a new, really good QB, I think its safe to say that Ruskell would make every attempt to get us a QB we can believe in.

I tell you this I would not be unhappy at all if we gave up Ogun for a first round pick and used both picks to move up and select Eli Manning. We could sign Mark Brunell at like the veteran's minimum for a year or two cuz all he wants to do is play in FL and start, and we could guarantee him both for at least a year. I'm not all for starting Eli right away though, maybe gettin a little bit of action in but I'm more of the thought that you let a new guy hold a clipboard for a year and not play in any real pressure situations.

I agree.

Read between the lines as well though. Ron Wolf will be doing something for Miami this year. Whether he's the President/GM or just a consultant, the Dolphins will weigh heavily what he says. Of the QBs that are/will be available this offseason, which veteran do you think Wolf would recommend?

I'd say Mark Brunell.

I've got a very strong feeling that Mark Brunell will be this team's starting quarterback next year. I also feel the team will definitely take a QB high in the draft as well.

Nice thread..

Cecil the diesel Collins out of LSU is another calculated risk that didn't work out so well.. Off the field that is.. :eek:

Snagging Manning would be nice although I don't think we would have the money to waste on Mark Brunell, we need to address the O'line & our current QB should get us through.

Wolf sought for any role

Wolf sought for any role

If Wayne gets Wolf to help out selecting the players we need to improve our O, that will be a huge coup; irregardless of whomever is the official GM.

We would like to use Ron for a lot of things, primarily in the personnel area," Jones said Tuesday. "We'd like him to look at some of our guys, tell us where we can get some players, look at some of these free agents over here and tell us who you like. Watch some film on them."

Originally posted by KBISBACK
Well, that's a case of a situation we don't want in Miami.

I think Jerry Angelo made some moves in the attempt to sabotage Dick Jauron's career. He chose not to resign the likes of Roosevelt Colvin, Ted Washington, and James Williams. These were players that were big keys in Jauron's 12-4 year in 2000.

One thing some of you will probably like about Ruskell is the fact that during the drafts he was in charge of, the Buccaneers drafted 11 players from the big three universities in Florida. Five from Florida State, four from Florida, and two from Miami.

The strong point of Tampa Bay's drafting philosophy under the McKay/Ruskell regime was that they evaluted what the players do while in pads and not what they do when they are running around on a rubber track in their underwear.

I've A:WAYS wondered that- Miami historically has NEVER really drafted any UM/Florida/Florida St players even tho UM produces talent out the butt every year. Yatil Green was one of the last I remember, but why don't the dolphins get more local flavor. Dallas was pro-football UM. I hope whoever we get starts paying attention locally.

We dont need a guy who wants to be buddy-buddy with him!!!...We dont need Wanny in the new G.M's ear saying yeah lets take this guy or that!!!...We need a guy like mueller who is right in that Wanny doesnt get enough out of his players!!!...Mueller or the guy from the Ravens!!!

Back
Top Bottom