I ran into Daunte Culpepper last night at the ale house in Ocala. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I ran into Daunte Culpepper last night at the ale house in Ocala.

Gimme a break. You don't see Pennington act like that towards Jets fans, or the organization, and they cheered they he got injured for crying out loud. The organization threw him out like an old wash rag. The guy is pure class, Culpepper is not. I expect some level of professionalism from the athletes. So what, fans boo, cheer, jeer whatever, that's what they do. They pay to do what they want. Although I don't agree with booing the players you'll have to excuse me if I don't shed a tear for the millionaires when it happens, and I certainly don't expect them to hold onto a grudge, and comeback with another team much later and taunt the home crowd. Total Bush league -- total punk.

First off, just because Chad Pennington is a different guy does not mean that's the way all other guys have to act.

Secondly, Chad Pennington had a lot of good times with Jets fans over the years, with a lot of positive sentiment between himself and the fans. He connected with them, he was close with them. Toward the end, they were booing him, for sure. But he can still remember those good times too. Daunte Culpepper never had a single good experience with the Dolphins crowd. Like I said, he was booed at his FIRST home game halfway through the game because he threw one interception. So where Chad has to have mixed feelings about the Jets fans because of all the good times he had with them, Daunte got nothing but acrimony from the fans almost from the start.

Last, the Jets handled his situation a lot better than Miami did at the end. They moved in a different direction, and that happens. Chad knows that. He's angry about it but he respects it. I have no issue with Miami moving in a different direction and I don't think Daunte would have either if they had handled it properly. As soon as the Jets had Chad's replacement in hand and traded for, they cut Chad loose. There was no hostage-taking, no camp lockout, no trying to dangle him for a mere 7th rounder. With Daunte, they sat there and told him you're not our guy, we're not going to practice you, we're not going to pay you, but we are going to hold your rights until the last possible minute because we think we MIGHT be able to squeeze a 7th round pick out of someone.

You want to talk about bush league? THAT was bush league. That was amateur hour and it was one of the reasons Randy Mueller may have been a worse GM for Miami than even Rick Spielman.

First off, just because Chad Pennington is a different guy does not mean that's the way all other guys have to act.

Secondly, Chad Pennington had a lot of good times with Jets fans over the years, with a lot of positive sentiment between himself and the fans. He connected with them, he was close with them. Toward the end, they were booing him, for sure. But he can still remember those good times too. Daunte Culpepper never had a single good experience with the Dolphins crowd. Like I said, he was booed at his FIRST home game halfway through the game because he threw one interception. So where Chad has to have mixed feelings about the Jets fans because of all the good times he had with them, Daunte got nothing but acrimony from the fans almost from the start.

Last, the Jets handled his situation a lot better than Miami did at the end. They moved in a different direction, and that happens. Chad knows that. He's angry about it but he respects it. I have no issue with Miami moving in a different direction and I don't think Daunte would have either if they had handled it properly. As soon as the Jets had Chad's replacement in hand and traded for, they cut Chad loose. There was no hostage-taking, no camp lockout, no trying to dangle him for a mere 7th rounder. With Daunte, they sat there and told him you're not our guy, we're not going to practice you, we're not going to pay you, but we are going to hold your rights until the last possible minute because we think we MIGHT be able to squeeze a 7th round pick out of someone.

You want to talk about bush league? THAT was bush league. That was amateur hour and it was one of the reasons Randy Mueller may have been a worse GM for Miami than even Rick Spielman.

Thanks CK. I echo that sentiment. I've felt that way since that entire fiasco transpired. I haven't spoken on it because it seems everyone who has defended Culpepper has been crucified on this board. Could Daunte have conducted himself with more class? Probably. Am I upset about what he did? Not particularly. I'm more upset with the effort we put forth in that particular game and most games that season.

I don't condone how our FO handled Culpepper's situation, I agree it was poor. But I certainly don't approve of the way Daunte acted towards the fans for quite simply, being fans. They boo'd him cause he out and out sucked. If i'm not mistaken his first int was one of the ugliest ever. The ensuing failures that followed was just icing on the cake.

If his intention was to taunt the FO through the fans well.. I imagine he could have chose a better avenue to do so, rather than pointing to his knee and then to the crowd during a rout. How anyone can say that's not a taunt considering the time he chose to do that little performance is beyond me.

I guess Daunte wouldn't know the first thing about taking the high road if he feels disrespected, he should ask Chad for some tips.

I don't condone how our FO handled Culpepper's situation, I agree it was poor. But I certainly don't approve of the way Daunte acted towards the fans for quite simply, being fans. They boo'd him cause he out and out sucked. If i'm not mistaken his first int was one of the ugliest ever. The ensuing failures that followed was just icing on the cake.

If his intention was to taunt the FO through the fans well.. I imagine he could have chose a better avenue to do so, rather than pointing to his knee and then to the crowd during a rout. How anyone can say that's not a taunt considering the time he chose to do that little performance is beyond me.

I guess Daunte wouldn't know the first thing about taking the high road if he feels disrespected, he should ask Chad for some tips.

How is pointing at your knee a slap at the fans ? Also Chad was never treated anything like Daunte so they were on differant roads.

I think there is a reason Daunte ended up in Oakland and Detroit aftr our fiasco with him. HE SUCKS. If you let me chuck it to Randy Moss in his prime even I am bound to throw some TDs....

I think there is a reason Daunte ended up in Oakland and Detroit aftr our fiasco with him. HE SUCKS. If you let me chuck it to Randy Moss in his prime even I am bound to throw some TDs....

While Daunte may in fact suck, if your only using his performance with Moss as criterium for evaluation, then that's a bit flawed. Randy Moss, while in Oakland, didn't make any of those QB's look remotely pro-bowl-esque. Once he got to New England the old Moss emerged. I don't think that's a coincidence. Again I'm not saying Daunte doesn't suck. I'm just saying using Randy Moss as a measuring stick isn't very astute.

so if its that easy why was Kerry collins not all pro when he played with Oakland with Moss.

Maybe because Moss had 0 desire to play in Oakland. He walked onto the field, but rarely played. Causing everyone to speculate that he had lost it. How else do you suppose NE snagged him for a 4th?

Sure our inept HC and GM could have handled Culpepper's departure better, but can they really be faulted for wanting no part of a slow witted QB who without his mobility was a treetrunk who read D's slower than a 2nd grader does Dick and Jane? As far as doing the right thing and releasing him.. I have little sympathy for someone who pocketed $3+million of WH's money for mostly riding an exercise bike while rehabbing for his next team. Did Saban press him into duty too soon? Yeah, but who said Saban's any more worthwhile? Do you really think that if Daunte had Drew Rosenhaus as his agent instead of the moron he decided to represent him, Drew wouldn't have interceded over his being rushed back, or then found a team willing trade for him instead of stretching the ordeal out? Is it just coincidence that Culpepper "retired" since no one would touch him other than in desperation?

Sorry I can't buy into him as a maligned injured party with his track record of douchery including that idiotic dance when Moss used to bail him and his inadequacies out, the loveboat poor judgment, his refusing to rehab with the Vikings in favor of his own program in some gym behind an Orlando K Mart even before becoming "Saban's fiasco."

Yes, not even considering the 2nd rounder we gave up, it is Saban's fault, not Daunte's for us taking him regardless of whether or not Brees was an alternative option. Without Moss before he went down, Culpecker's rating of 72 with 6 TDs and 12 interceptions should have been enough of a cautionary tale. With Oakland, it was 76% and with Detroit, as bad as they were, but with Calvin Johnson to throw to, it was an abysmal 64% - that's John Beck territory.

Bottom line, he acted like a douche with us and afterwards. He walked away with more of Wayne's money than many people see in 5-10 years and has done little to dispute one of the Cam regime's few good decisions.

Sure our inept HC and GM could have handled Culpepper's departure better, but can they really be faulted for wanting no part of a slow witted QB who without his mobility was a treetrunk who read D's slower than a 2nd grader does Dick and Jane? As far as doing the right thing and releasing him.. I have little sympathy for someone who pocketed $3+million of WH's money for mostly riding an exercise bike while rehabbing for his next team. Did Saban press him into duty too soon? Yeah, but who said Saban's any more worthwhile? Do you really think that if Daunte had Drew Rosenhaus as his agent instead of the moron he decided to represent him, Drew wouldn't have interceded over his being rushed back, or then found a team willing trade for him instead of stretching the ordeal out? Is it just coincidence that Culpepper "retired" since no one would touch him other than in desperation?

Sorry I can't buy into him as a maligned injured party with his track record of douchery including that idiotic dance when Moss used to bail him and his inadequacies out, the loveboat poor judgment, his refusing to rehab with the Vikings in favor of his own program in some gym behind an Orlando K Mart even before becoming "Saban's fiasco."

Yes, not even considering the 2nd rounder we gave up, it is Saban's fault, not Daunte's for us taking him regardless of whether or not Brees was an alternative option. Without Moss before he went down, Culpecker's rating of 72 with 6 TDs and 12 interceptions should have been enough of a cautionary tale. With Oakland, it was 76% and with Detroit, as bad as they were, but with Calvin Johnson to throw to, it was an abysmal 64% - that's John Beck territory.

Bottom line, he acted like a douche with us and afterwards. He walked away with more of Wayne's money than many people see in 5-10 years and has done little to dispute one of the Cam regime's few good decisions.

I hardly see switching from one qb that was bad decision to another bad qb is much of a good decision. So we got rid of Culpepper to just waste even more money and another draft pick on Trent green. I guess your right that was pure genius.

I hardly see switching from one qb that was bad decision to another bad qb is much of a good decision. So we got rid of Culpepper to just waste even more money and another draft pick on Trent green. I guess your right that was pure genius.

You're parsing what I wrote: jettisoning Culpepper was one of their few astute evaluative decisions- then and now in retrospect. I certainly said nothing about signing Trent Green being another one of their good decisions.

Culpepper had his best year as a pro the year Moss missed like half of the season. He played well while Moss wasn't in the game or wasn't healthy enough to catch any passes. He's definitely struggled but I think it's a situation where a guy gets comfortable with the coaches, the system, the players around him, the city and everything like that and then since then he's gone to a bunch of bad teams with bad coaching and bad players around him and he just hasn't gotten the kind of footing he would need to really resurface.

I wouldn't count him out though. I'm sure people thought Kurt Warner couldn't resurface outside of St. Louis' "greatest show on turf" and he bounced around a bit, never caught his footing...until he got to Arizona and started throwing to Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin. Last year he was one of the best QBs in the game, collected his third NFC Championship, and came inches away from winning a second Super Bowl.

Back
Top Bottom