I really want Croyle | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I really want Croyle

I don't know if we're even going to need to spend a high draft pick on a QB this year. We need to see how free agency shakes out. If we go through free agency without picking up a young QB Saban will definitely have a good idea of who is the better QB to pick up, Croyle or Cutler, coming from the SEC. I personally was not impressed with Croyle but I figure Saban will have a better read on him

adamprez2003 said:
I don't know if we're even going to need to spend a high draft pick on a QB this year. We need to see how free agency shakes out. If we go through free agency without picking up a young QB Saban will definitely have a good idea of who is the better QB to pick up, Croyle or Cutler, coming from the SEC. I personally was not impressed with Croyle but I figure Saban will have a better read on him

Agreed

i like croyle. a 68 yard pass wow i mean wow.if we can get him we would be good.at alabama he didnt have many playmakers on offense so it was hard.imagine him brown and chambers:eek:

From all accounts I've read, all signs and all plausible rationale and logic, Miami is going to try and find a way to come out of this draft with Jay Cutler, Brodie Croyle, or Charlie Whitehurst.

I believe the interest in Cutler is very real. He's an impressive player, an impressive person...and when Saban was overheard to say something along the lines of "We'd be doing pretty good if we managed to come out of the draft with him" I believe he was flat out telling the truth. I have a pretty firm belief that Saban and Mueller will use Ricky Williams and Sam Madison (among other players) as trade bait, putting out feelers to gauge their ability of being able to realistically move up to get Cutler. That is not to say they WILL do that, just that they'll gauge it to see if it is doable at an acceptable price.

They also have to be realists, and the reality is that moving up is extremely hard to do at a price that doesn't give everyone sticker shock. I think they are convinced that those three QBs (Cutler, Croyle, Whitehurst) have the best most valid prospects of becoming starting pro quarterbacks...and if they can't find a way to get Cutler they will try and get one of the other two, possibly using the results of player trades to do it.

I would personally like it if they showed some interest toward Reggie McNeal, but there has been none to date. There have been no overtures or rumors of interest toward Omar Jacobs, either. There have been connections made with Darrell Hackney, however I think they may be turned off by his measurement of being below 6 feet tall. Saban has a GREAT respect for history, and historically speaking, short quarterbacks simply do not make it. There hasn't been any real talk about another favorite of mine, Barrick Nealy. IMO, they would have to come out having some real failures to end up looking at guys late in the draft such as Drew Olson, Paul Pinegar, and Josh Betts. By that point if they've failed on Day 1 to put themselves in position to take Cutler, Croyle, or Whitehurst (which may mean trading ourselves into the top of Round 4 for Whitehurst) then they may just say screw it and do everything in their power to trade a second day pick for Patrick Ramsey.

ckparrothead said:
From all accounts I've read, all signs and all plausible rationale and logic, Miami is going to try and find a way to come out of this draft with Jay Cutler, Brodie Croyle, or Charlie Whitehurst.

I believe the interest in Cutler is very real. He's an impressive player, an impressive person...and when Saban was overheard to say something along the lines of "We'd be doing pretty good if we managed to come out of the draft with him" I believe he was flat out telling the truth. I have a pretty firm belief that Saban and Mueller will use Ricky Williams and Sam Madison (among other players) as trade bait, putting out feelers to gauge their ability of being able to realistically move up to get Cutler. That is not to say they WILL do that, just that they'll gauge it to see if it is doable at an acceptable price.

They also have to be realists, and the reality is that moving up is extremely hard to do at a price that doesn't give everyone sticker shock. I think they are convinced that those three QBs (Cutler, Croyle, Whitehurst) have the best most valid prospects of becoming starting pro quarterbacks...and if they can't find a way to get Cutler they will try and get one of the other two, possibly using the results of player trades to do it.

I would personally like it if they showed some interest toward Reggie McNeal, but there has been none to date. There have been no overtures or rumors of interest toward Omar Jacobs, either. There have been connections made with Darrell Hackney, however I think they may be turned off by his measurement of being below 6 feet tall. Saban has a GREAT respect for history, and historically speaking, short quarterbacks simply do not make it. There hasn't been any real talk about another favorite of mine, Barrick Nealy. IMO, they would have to come out having some real failures to end up looking at guys late in the draft such as Drew Olson, Paul Pinegar, and Josh Betts. By that point if they've failed on Day 1 to put themselves in position to take Cutler, Croyle, or Whitehurst (which may mean trading ourselves into the top of Round 4 for Whitehurst) then they may just say screw it and do everything in their power to trade a second day pick for Patrick Ramsey.

Great sig CK. Some great prospects on that list of interviews. Gabe Watson really won me over after his Senior Bowl week. We probably won't get him but someone is going to be thrilled

Thanks. The guys in bold in my sig are guys that I've heard linked strongly with Miami, one way or the other. For instance, Brod Bunkley had a very nice long interview with Saban himself after the first day, and Saban was extremely impressed with how Brod put on 15 pounds and lost no speed...said he could play end or tackle in our system.

I agree. I think on top of his elite physical talent, what is nice about Gabe is that he is genuinely a good person. He gave one of his bowl rings to his dad, because it meant a lot to his dad...and he gave the other one to this little kid he knew that is a huge Michigan fan. When asked what his first purchase would be when he got his contract he didn't say an escalade or anything like that. He said he has no plans for the money except one, to start a company that helps underprivileged kids.

How this guy got the reputation for being lazy and having character concerns is beyond me. It's the typical "fat guy = lazy" perception, I think. At this point I wonder personally if the guy ever really even disappeared from the films the way they say he did. Given the fat = lazy perception, and the common perception that if you're not getting a good pass rush on the QB then you're not doing your job as a DL, I find it entirely possible that Watson filled his gaps on a consistent basis and just never got credit for it.

ckparrothead said:

I'm really more intrigued with Drew Olson than I am Whitehurst, I don't see him having a big NFL career. Thats of course if we do wait till day two to land a QB.

BlueFin said:
I'm really more intrigued with Drew Olson than I am Whitehurst, I don't see him having a big NFL career. Thats of course if we do wait till day two to land a QB.

Personally, I can't come up with any criticism of Charlie Whitehurst that isn't ten times worse for Drew Olson. No doubt Whitehurst has plenty of flaws, but I could just never find it in me to rate Olson above him.

ckparrothead said:
Personally, I can't come up with any criticism of Charlie Whitehurst that isn't ten times worse for Drew Olson. No doubt Whitehurst has plenty of flaws, but I could just never find it in me to rate Olson above him.

Call it a gut feeling, I'm well aware every draftnik in the world would think the way you do, but the same could be said for other sleeper QB's that came out of later rounds to outshine earlier picks.

I also like Olson's 161 QB rating(5th best in the nation) with his 34 touchdowns- 6 interceptions a whole lot better than Whitehursts 11 touchdowns -10 interceptions as the nations 41st rated passer.

ckparrothead said:
Thanks. The guys in bold in my sig are guys that I've heard linked strongly with Miami, one way or the other. For instance, Brod Bunkley had a very nice long interview with Saban himself after the first day, and Saban was extremely impressed with how Brod put on 15 pounds and lost no speed...said he could play end or tackle in our system.

I agree. I think on top of his elite physical talent, what is nice about Gabe is that he is genuinely a good person. He gave one of his bowl rings to his dad, because it meant a lot to his dad...and he gave the other one to this little kid he knew that is a huge Michigan fan. When asked what his first purchase would be when he got his contract he didn't say an escalade or anything like that. He said he has no plans for the money except one, to start a company that helps underprivileged kids.

How this guy got the reputation for being lazy and having character concerns is beyond me. It's the typical "fat guy = lazy" perception, I think. At this point I wonder personally if the guy ever really even disappeared from the films the way they say he did. Given the fat = lazy perception, and the common perception that if you're not getting a good pass rush on the QB then you're not doing your job as a DL, I find it entirely possible that Watson filled his gaps on a consistent basis and just never got credit for it.

You may be right. I know I was impressed with his play every time I saw him this year which was only three or four games but I had read the same underachiever complaints. After the Senior Bowl week though I came away thinking this guy barring injury is going to be great for someone. Someone thought the Panthers will go for him if available which would give them one of the sickest defensive lines of all time

adamprez2003 said:

what were you not impressed with?

ckparrothead said:

.. then they may just say screw it and do everything in their power to trade a second day pick for Patrick Ramsey.

yet another outstanding post from ckparrothead. imo, cutler is first choice but may not be there. if we decide against moving up to get him, i'm almost happier trading a fourth for ramsey than drafting croyle in the second or whitehurst in the third. wait for '07 to draft a qb.

If I were them, to me it would be Cutler, Croyle, McNeal, or Whitehurst, and if not, switch gears and try and get Pat Ramsey if someone has not already gotten him.

saves said:
I just don't see how he has that "it" if Alabama's offense was so horrible. I liked what I saw of him but I just decided to check out his numbers to see if anything stands out.

-He didn't have a TD in 4 games. How do you have that "it" if you can't find away to score points?
-While he had a very good TD-INT ratio, he was 0-2 vs. Mississippi State, thats sticks out.
-He threw under 60% in 5 games.
-If you take away an amazing game vs. Florida (the one I saw and my only impression of him) his stats drop considerablyand his total completion % is well under 60%.
You need to get your facts straight. Croyle NEVER lost to Miss state. NEVER!
Anyone who watched Alabama play this year knows the reason his numbers were only average is he was throwing to Freshman and Soph receivers and 2 freshmen TEs. He lost his best receiver (Prothro) and his offensive line was terrible. They allowed 11 sacks in a single game! With the exception of D.J. Hall (who was suspened for the bowl game and hurt for one game) he did not have one reliable receiver.

2005 Alabama 17 - Miss St 0
2004 Alabama 30 - Miss St 14
2003 Alabama 38 - Miss St 0

Croyle is a good QB who never had very good options at Alabama but he still managed to do well. If we don't get Cutler than I hope we get him

Back
Top Bottom