"I take responsibility" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"I take responsibility"

dQbell

No More Games.
Reaction score
That's what coach Saban said about the 3rd and 2 call. So many people question because it didn't work. So many want instant results. Listen to Saban's post-game conferences. This man has it together. Listen to what he said about putting Sage in right now. I walk away from his press conferences inspired because he has an excellent philosophy of life that he applies to his coaching. I'm a bit weary of so many demanding impulsive decisions. Do this, do that. Sure, we can say that because we don't have to deal with the consequences of the decision. Congratulations, you're an armchair quarterback.

dQbell said:
That's what coach Saban said about the 3rd and 2 call. So many people question because it didn't work. So many want instant results. Listen to Saban's post-game conferences. This man has it together. Listen to what he said about putting Sage in right now. I walk away from his press conferences inspired because he has an excellent philosophy of life that he applies to his coaching. I'm a bit weary of so many demanding impulsive decisions. Do this, do that. Sure, we can say that because we don't have to deal with the consequences of the decision. Congratulations, you're an armchair quarterback.

Good Post...agree 100%.

GO FINS!!!

I'd love to go back to 2000-2001 and hear what Pats fans were saying about Belichick when he went 5-11 in his first year with the Pats.

I wonder if they had any patience.

Saban WILL bring us to the 'ship. Just you wait. The man is an awesome coach.

He simply has a lot to prove.

dQbell said:

Even with all the great philosophy and great practice regimen which Saban brings. Unless it all results in a future championship at this level, it won't mean much.

Nobody wants to hear "I screwed up". They want to see improvement on the field that result in wins.

...and that is the bottom line.

Sorry...but what does instant results have to do with a bone head call? Was Saban not expecting results from that play? Maybe I wasn't expecting the Dolphins to win 12 games this season....but I was expecting them not to throw so many games away this season as last....thats not looking for instant results....just improvement.

I enjoy being an armchair QB and analyzing the hell out of every play, and that isnt going to change.
But I also know first-hand how hard it is to be a football coach, and to be the one who gets questioned for every bad decision. I agree with Saban that we all have the luxury of second-guessing every call that is made where as the coaching staff, players and personnel do not. Do I agree with the play called that led to the INT? No. But I also know how good a coach Saban is, and I know the type of plays that Linehan likes to call, and I still think it is the best situation for this team right now.
It will take a lot more than one questionable call and a 3-5 record in his first year for me to lose respect for Saban as a coach.

fishypete said:
Sorry...but what does instant results have to do with a bone head call? Was Saban not expecting results from that play? Maybe I wasn't expecting the Dolphins to win 12 games this season....but I was expecting them not to throw so many games away this season as last....thats not looking for instant results....just improvement.

Man Fishy, those postive posts didnt last long. Good to know otherwise I would have reported an abduction and had the authorities go search for you....read what Saban says:

"Saban shrugged off lobbying by fans and columnists to replace Frerotte with backup Sage Rosenfels, who has started one game in five NFL seasons.

``We'll always have hope, if we never put him in, that the backup quarterback would solve all our problems,'' Saban said.

The coach was being facetious because he believes his team's offensive woes extend beyond Frerotte. Poor execution at other positions has included dropped passes and penalties, Saban said, and he seemed annoyed about postgame comments by receiver Chris Chambers, who found the play-calling surprisingly conservative.

``Everybody needs to focus on what they need to do so we can throw the ball more consistently,'' Saban said. ``Guys may complain about it, but the same guys are dropping balls and not doing things correctly themselves, and that's what they should be focusing on.''

As for the temptation to point fingers, Saban said: ``I'm not going to tolerate it and don't think it's a way to solve anything. There's nobody around here, including me, who couldn't do something better in that game to help us have a chance to win.''

The play-calling of Saban and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan did provide an inviting target for second-guessing.

When Miami tried three razzle-dazzle plays -- an end around, a double reverse and a lateral -- each lost yardage. And with the Dolphins in four-down territory at the Atlanta 8-yard line and needing a touchdown to tie with less than three minutes left, Linehan opted to throw on third-and-2.

Frerotte was intercepted, and the Falcons ran out the clock to win. ``We didn't run the ball,'' Saban said. ``I'm responsible. That call went through me. I could have changed it.''

Honestly, how can you not root for this guy, how can you not like what he says???

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Man Fishy, those postive posts didnt last long. Good to know otherwise I would have reported an abduction and had the authorities go search for you....read what Saban says:

"Saban shrugged off lobbying by fans and columnists to replace Frerotte with backup Sage Rosenfels, who has started one game in five NFL seasons.

``We'll always have hope, if we never put him in, that the backup quarterback would solve all our problems,'' Saban said.

The coach was being facetious because he believes his team's offensive woes extend beyond Frerotte. Poor execution at other positions has included dropped passes and penalties, Saban said, and he seemed annoyed about postgame comments by receiver Chris Chambers, who found the play-calling surprisingly conservative.

``Everybody needs to focus on what they need to do so we can throw the ball more consistently,'' Saban said. ``Guys may complain about it, but the same guys are dropping balls and not doing things correctly themselves, and that's what they should be focusing on.''

As for the temptation to point fingers, Saban said: ``I'm not going to tolerate it and don't think it's a way to solve anything. There's nobody around here, including me, who couldn't do something better in that game to help us have a chance to win.''

The play-calling of Saban and offensive coordinator Scott Linehan did provide an inviting target for second-guessing.

When Miami tried three razzle-dazzle plays -- an end around, a double reverse and a lateral -- each lost yardage. And with the Dolphins in four-down territory at the Atlanta 8-yard line and needing a touchdown to tie with less than three minutes left, Linehan opted to throw on third-and-2.

Frerotte was intercepted, and the Falcons ran out the clock to win. ``We didn't run the ball,'' Saban said. ``I'm responsible. That call went through me. I could have changed it.''

Honestly, how can you not root for this guy, how can you not like what he says???

Just responding to the instant results part of his comments.

fishypete said:
Just responding to the instant results part of his comments.

Ok, but dont confuse the final score or the result of a single play call that makes you scratch your head, with an inability to "show improvement".

You have to admit the team has made significant positive strides in many many areas thru the first 8 games of this season.

If you arent accepting of that then you tend to be viewed as one who is expecting "instant" or "faster" results and only results in the win/loss column.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Ok, but dont confuse the final score or the result of a single play call that makes you scratch your head, with an inability to "show improvement".

You have to admit the team has made significant positive strides in many many areas thru the first 8 games of this season.

If you arent accepting of that then you tend to be viewed as one who is expecting "instant" or "faster" results and only results in the win/loss column.

I don't see many significant positive strides....the O-line....the running game...thats about it. Now add the fact that we had NO running game last season...how could it get worse?

fishypete said:
I don't see many significant positive strides....the O-line....the running game...thats about it. Now add the fact that we had NO running game last season...how could it get worse?

the D is really hitting people. when was the last time you saw a really hard hit by someone on the phins' D, let alone several in one game? i think the mentality is changing. ronnie's going to beat up on teams' defenses, and the D is going to beat up on their offenses.

fishypete said:

Except for the KC game, we have been in every game and kept every game close. We have draft picks contributing significantly. We have a HC that leads by example.

Finally, it was only two games that ended up as losses where our Offense possessed the ball at the end with a chance to Tie the score. The buffalo game and the Atlanta game.

In the Buffalo game we were driving and Ronnie fumbled on a dump off pass.....we were driving and the play call was fine, the results were a turnover. We trailed by 6 so the TD was necessary and an Extra point would have given us the lead. It didnt work out.

In Atlanta we were driving and a INT prevented a chance to tie with a successful extra point.

So we are 3-5 and you could say we may have had a chance to be 5-3 on only those two games....its just a stretch.

Just dont base the success of this team by the win/loss column only.

DPlus47 said:
the D is really hitting people. when was the last time you saw a really hard hit by someone on the phins' D, let alone several in one game? i think the mentality is changing. ronnie's going to beat up on teams' defenses, and the D is going to beat up on their offenses.

We have had a top defense in the past 4-5 years.

Dolphins_SR66 said:
Except for the KC game, we have been in every game and kept every game close. We have draft picks contributing significantly. We have a HC that leads by example.

Finally, it was only two games that ended up as losses where our Offense possessed the ball at the end with a chance to Tie the score. The buffalo game and the Atlanta game.

In the Buffalo game we were driving and Ronnie fumbled on a dump off pass.....we were driving and the play call was fine, the results were a turnover. We trailed by 6 so the TD was necessary and an Extra point would have given us the lead. It didnt work out.

In Atlanta we were driving and a INT prevented a chance to tie with a successful extra point.

So we are 3-5 and you could say we may have had a chance to be 5-3 on only those two games....its just a stretch.

Just dont base the success of this team by the win/loss column only.

We lost close games last year...without a running game;

Lost to Cinncy...16-13

Lost to Buffalo at Buffalo...20-13

Lost to Arizona...24-23

Lost to Seattle...24-17

Lost to Denver...20-17

Lost to Baltimore...30-23

Lost to Chicago...27-24

How many games could the Dolphins won....just if they had a running game last season.

Back
Top Bottom