I think this needs its own thread... surtain to skins? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think this needs its own thread... surtain to skins?

KB21 said:
Patrick Surtain, not Nate Clements, will be the best available free agent cornerback next year. Clements is good, but he isn't in the same league as Patrick Surtain.

Completely incorrect. Clements is a hard nosed player that excels in run support as well as coverage. He's much younger than Surtain, not injury prone, and scores TD's on special teams.

I think Surtain is a solid CB but to say they aren't even in the same league just exposes your biased bitterness towards the Bills.

KB21 said:
Patrick Surtain, not Nate Clements, will be the best available free agent cornerback next year. Clements is good, but he isn't in the same league as Patrick Surtain.

I'm as big a surtain supporter as there is, surtain in his prime was better, but he had a down year and clements is better right now, and is better for the future. He would be the top fa CB next year, not surtain.

If you're looking for a shut down corner who could match up 1-on-1 with the other team's top receiver, Surtain is your man!

phinfan2003 said:
The guy's only missed about 8 games in his career but who hasn't missed games in the NFL? He has the most INT's the last 5 years. That's pretty durable in my book. On the other hand, Clements doesn't get any INT's unless the quarterbacks name is Ray, Jay, or AJ.

Dude, you guys get all crazy when we say Nate is a better Cb. Nobody is saying that Pat hasn't been a top 3 corner for most of his career.

But he does have a knee problem everyone knows about. He's also almost 30, and he's really expensive. He wasn't even the best corner of the phins last year.

Its time to except the fact that Nate is, at the very minimum, as talented as PAt at this point and is younger and has NEVER been injured.

phinfan2003 said:
On the other hand, Clements doesn't get any INT's unless the quarterbacks name is Ray, Jay, or AJ.
that's because only Wanny was stupid enough to throw to his side of the field.

Plus nate forces and recovers lots of fumbles. He's always around the ball.

phinfan2003 said:
If you're looking for a shut down corner who could match up 1-on-1 with the other team's top receiver, Surtain is your man!
he didn't shut down anyone on the bills last year did he? To think we had a qb who holds on to the ball forever.

If Surtain was worth a 1st rd. the chiefs would've EASILY given up a 2nd by now ,no?

Justasportsfan said:
that's because only Wanny was stupid enough to throw to his side of the field.

Wasn't it 2 years ago where your whole secondary (including Winfield) had roughly as many picks as Surtain by himself?

phinfan2003 said:
Wasn't it 2 years ago where you're whole secondary (including Winfield) had roughly as many picks as Surtain by himself?
this is a league that's based on "what have you done for me lately?"

phinfan2003 said:
Wasn't it 2 years ago where your whole secondary (including Winfield) had roughly as many picks as Surtain by himself?

and two years ago Pat would have been worth more, but now thats just not the case.

infiltrateib said:
They could have just traded us what they traded the Broncos. They want to DRAFT somebody, Campbell.

that makes no sense if they were going to go for campbell they would have done the trade on draft day and come as a surprise to a team woh was hoping to grab campbell in the 2nd round... why move up and let it be known who you take? thats just asking for another team to move up to 24 to grab that guy if they really want him, aka cleveland browns...

I hate to do this, but if I'm a GM and I'm thinking of trading the # 25 pick in the first round and it came down to Surtain and Clements? I take Clements. The Redskins are building for the future, they are going nowhere with the Eagles in that division. I take the younger Clements who would be around when they get good.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I hate to do this, but if I'm a GM and I'm thinking of trading the # 25 pick in the first round and it came down to Surtain and Clements? I take Clements. The Redskins are building for the future, they are going nowhere with the Eagles in that division. I take the younger Clements who would be around when they get good.

Thats all anyone is saying. Pat was great, top 3 at one point but every year things change, Pat is still very good, if he was smart he'd restructure with you and play out the rest of his career in miami.

I do disagree with the statment that the Redskins will ever "get good" They will suck as long as Snyder owns that team.

IMO, Pat at his best is better that Nate.

Nate however is younger.

Based on age, if the asking price was the same, I'd take Nate.

Losman7 said:
Clements could very well be available now for the right price. He's going to be a FA next season and will be the best FA corner available.

If Tom Donahoe dosen't think we can sign him long term to a reasonable contract he is the kind of GM that will get value out of him now.

If it does happen it will be because we can sign Law to a cap friendly deal.

It will, however, take a 1st and 2nd/3rd to get him.
I doubt you get the 1st and a 2nd/3rd. He is a really good corner, but in the last year of his contract you do not get as much for him as you would normally. He is definitely worth a first, and last year he did outplay Surtain... But take off your red and blue glasses if you think you are getting a first and third. Maybe a first and fifth, I just do not see two first day picks for him - unless it is 2nd and 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom