I think this needs its own thread... surtain to skins? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I think this needs its own thread... surtain to skins?

Justasportsfan said:
aside from having better nos. than Surtain as a corner, Clements was one of the best punt returners in the NFL last year. He's younger, healthier and hasn't peaked. So no matter what you do to spin things around, Clements has more value.

Your talking about his potential for greatness which is something that most people, including yours truly would normally agree with...but this is not a normal situation because I'm talking about the Redskins and what they might do...and they think differently (I'm judging them on past history) than most other teams.

1. Gibbs has a long history of giving up draft picks for established veterans.

2. Danny Snyder has a history of overpaying and giving up draft choices. Often on what seems to be on a whim.

3. Danny Snyder is as impulsive as they come. 5-7 years of this behavior has led the Skins to the cellar.

When I take their history into mind, I come to the conclusion that if they were to trade for a veteran cornerback, that CB would more likely be Surtain than Clements. Like I said in my previous post, Gibbs is probably desperate for leaders and his type of players. PS doesn't complain (at least in public), is mostly consistent, plays hard and is at an elite level. He easily has 4 or 5 years left of good to high level of play. IMO, Gibbs probably values that over potential. He's got potential in Sean Taylor and Co. He just wants to get their minds straight and veterans that can help him there while playing at a high level.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Arrington has been a pain in the @$$ for them the past few years. But they could stand pat and still get Johnson at # 9 in a ton of mocks?

But we are talking the redskins!

I'm saying trade arrington for whatever they can get, to say...The raiders (perfect fit IMO, not that I wanna see them get anyone else)

Then take Derrick Johnson at 9 to replace him.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I think surtain is a Dolphin this year!

I'm sure he will be too but in the previous scenario where Pat is traded, I think we could get under the cap while paying 3 1st rounders.

KuchaMucha said:
Your talking about his potential for greatness which is something that most people, including yours truly would normally agree with...but this is not a normal situation because I'm talking about the Redskins and what they might do...and they think differently (I'm judging them on past history) than most other teams.

1. Gibbs has a long history of giving up draft picks for established veterans.

2. Danny Snyder has a history of overpaying and giving up draft choices. Often on what seems to be on a whim.

3. Danny Snyder is as impulsive as they come. 5-7 years of this behavior has led the Skins to the cellar.

When I take their history into mind, I come to the conclusion that if they were to trade for a veteran cornerback, that CB would more likely be Surtain than Clements. Like I said in my previous post, Gibbs is probably desperate for leaders and his type of players. PS doesn't complain (at least in public), is mostly consistent, plays hard and is at an elite level. He easily has 4 or 5 years left of good to high level of play. IMO, Gibbs probably values that over potential. He's got potential in Sean Taylor and Co. He just wants to get their minds straight and veterans that can help him there while playing at a high level.

I see what you're saying but I don't think Nate is potential at this point in his career. He's established and also dosen't complain.

Losman7 said:
I'm saying trade arrington for whatever they can get, to say...The raiders (perfect fit IMO, not that I wanna see them get anyone else)

Then take Derrick Johnson at 9 to replace him.

That makes sense. They'd get rid of a malcontent and get in a new face...

Too bad though, because I think that Arrington has the potential to be the best linebacker in the league. One of his problems is that he's had a different defensive coordinator every year that he's been in the league. The dude comes to training camp every year and has to learn a new playbook. Then he goes out into the field and his team goes like 6-10 or 7-9. Then he gets all p*s$%d off when he believes that he got 6 mil left out of his contract that he thought that they had promised him. I feel kinda bad for him, IMO.

Now, I wouldn't mind at all if we were offered him in a trade proposal for PS.

3 1st rounders - it would be great but i don't think the redskins will trade #25 for surtain; at #25 washington can hope to draft carlos rogers if really wants a cb

Losman7 said:
I see what you're saying but I don't think Nate is potential at this point in his career. He's established and also dosen't complain.

Maybe they'll trade for both CB's. lol.

One of the Bills fans keeps talking about Clements putting up better #'s than Pat did last year; what were those #'s exactly?

Also, this was the first year that Pat missed more than one start in his entire career since he became a starter. My guess is those missed games had something to do with the # descrepancy.

I will give you the special teams angle with Clements; he has some skills in the return game for sure. I'll also agree that he is one of the top corners in the league in all around game, with the run support and blitzing and such.

He does NOT, however, have the cover skills that Pat has.

Also, having ONE year with better numbers does not make you better than another player, it only means that you had a better year than another player.

If he does it again, then we can talk.

IF Wash got this pick to trade for a veteran CB it would be Clements or Woodson instead of Surtain. Neither Buff or Oak has a 1rst round pick this year and could have demanded a 1rst in this years draft for the trade. Otherwise, why would Wash have needed to make the trade with Denver at all? Next years 1rst & 4th plus this years 3rd should have been enough for either of those players.
I don't think Saban would demand a 1rst this year for Surtain. Would have taken the picks traded to Denver. Probably less, next years 1rst and this years 3rd/4th.

As for trading this years pick for Campbell, why show your hand so early and leave the possiblity of someone jumping ahead of you? Don't think even Snyder could be that stupid. Wash must have another player trade or trade up in the draft in the works. Probably involving Santana Moss somehow.

Back
Top Bottom